Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

buttscratcher

3 passes here too. Is this game worth re-installing? Last time I played it was before the latest patch, and the community was dying a pretty horrible death.

Around 14 or 1500 per day. I always seem to find a good game, day or night. It runs so much better than it did before also. It's good stuff.

3 passes here too. Is this game worth re-installing? Last time I played it was before the latest patch, and the community was dying a pretty horrible death.

The lack of interest in all these free passes should answer any questions you have about the game. I really wanted to like it but as much as i tried its just pants. If it had been released 10 years ago it would have been great.

Edited by LtMatt

I uninstalled it some time ago, it used to play fine but they released a patch and I had no end of problems with it after that, I went back to Killing Floor soon after.

The recent free weekend increased the numbers a little but they are slowly starting to drop again.

Been playing this quite a bit this weekend. Just wanted to give my little opinion about it. I am no game tester or expert like some are, just a 43 yr old PC game nut that tries to appreciate quality when he sees it.

What really blew me away is, when you play Territory mode, the maps are huge and incredibly detailed. When I say detailed, I mean they are so unbelievable in scope and detail, it feels like you are actually in them. So many places to go and low crawl and shoot from.

And the textures in this game are sooooo nice, even with it only being DX9, the game looks better and more realistic than most new DX11 games, yes, including BF3. You gotta play Territory, with realism to fully appreciate this game. Playing the Firefight gametype just doesn't do it justice. I didn't get into this game until recently because I was playing the wrong gametype.

I just got done playing some huge outdoor map with 60 people on it. The sounds of combat were so uber-WWII, I was completely immersed in the battle. The map had so many gutted buildings and train cars to move to, machine guns rattling off, tanks blasting their big guns, rifles cracking, artillery booming, soldiers screaming in pain from wounds, there is no shooter game I've played in recent memory that matched the scope and intensity of that battle. And, the game pulled off that intensity without being spammy or nooby in any way, shape or form. It was just sweet! I died lots and lots, but felt no anger at all! Every one of the 9 kills I got felt like I really, really earned them. This is the game I will be playing from now on.

• 3 months later...

Gotta love RO2 Dev's ripping EA/DICE:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/08/tripwire-modding/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Speaking to PCGamesN, Tripwire Vice President Alan Wilson said the exclusion of modding tools from accessible genres — most notably shooters — is a choice they “really can’t wrap our heads around.”

“Why would you stop people from modding your game?” he asked. “Why would you prevent people from being creative with your material? Just look what [DayZ has] done for everyone concerned, for example. Arma 2 has been on the top-ten sales charts on Steam for about the last four months solid because of what one of their employees did for fun in his spare time.”

P.S. I know this has been posted elsewhere on the forums, I just can't remember where I saw it. :)

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Purchased this game a while ago as part of a Steam pack offer but have never played it partly due to my dislike of the first RO (didn't like the aiming, reloading or graphics). Might dust it off and play it sometime.

http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

RO

RO2

Killing floor + 11 DLC's

just pay more then the minimum price($2.90 at time of writing)

ha i was going to post this!

i already have all the games, but i needed several of the DLC

$3.00 was paid back on one of the premium DLC

the bundle includes every DLC except the d.a.r. and gold weapons

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=89087

Here we are, the Monday after the weekend onslaught of Humble Bundles, Steam Sales, and a Free Weekend. As I write this RO 2 has over 5000 players and we are still heading towards prime play time for the game (around 3 PM EST). Another interesting stat: We've sold over 115000 Humble Weekly Sale Bundles with a day left (Not to mention Red Orchestra 2, the Digital Deluxe Upgrade for RO 2 and the Tripwire Bundle are also doing very well on Steam).

The influx of players we saw over the weekend helped bring down one of our servers (hosting our websites and an auth server), but at the same time set a new record for concurrent RO 2 players as well as large numbers for Killing Floor. It also highlighted several issues (such as players reporting issues with Nvidia 6 series cards, which we are looking into now) and crashes which happened with more frequency. Our tech director Dmitry is already tackling many of the crash reports that have come in and cleared away several. Related to that, many of the communities top bugs are in the pipeline to be fixed (with many already under the QA verification process). In the future I hope to be able to provide a detailed list of issues we've cleared away.

Coming up in the "nearish" future we are also working towards the release of another three map: Coldsteel, Bridges of Druzhina and Gumrak Station. You will be seeing me organize playtests of these maps in the RO 2 Official Game Group as we move to lock down gameplay and find bugs to be fixed. So stay tuned and play a part in improving the future of the game!

With all of these things going on, the next major game update is looking to be the release of Rising Storm (not including the maps). To prevent multiple gigabyte updates (as we have yet to solve the patching issue) we believe it will be best to just do the one update. To prepare for that, here at the office we are going through the process of merging Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 into the same build. What this means is that the two separate code and content bases are, for the first, time coming together. With all of the improvements from Rising Storm and all of the original content from Red Orchestra 2 our code team will be going mad over the next few days/weeks making sure all pieces get put in the right place.

For those of you who are Killing Floor fans, we have something special planned this year for your favorite game called Killing Floor, so keep an eye out. As we push forward, we'll also be talking more and more about Rising Storm, its features and content. Tripwire has been hiring (so we can stay on top of all the things we are up to!) and we are still looking for a few people to fill positions It is an exciting time for us here at Tripwire, and we are glad you here with us.

Overall, the weekend deal was a great success. Plus this does give everyone at Tripwire a chance to fix the issues so we can all enjoy the game. I played RO2 at RGN just because they stream to PBBans and I saw no problems at all with the game yet!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Earlier this month I visited Killing Floor and Red Orchestra 2 creator Tripwire Interactive to play Rising Storm, the upcoming standalone expansion to RO2 (look for a preview on Monday). After the demo, Tripwire President John Gibson and I got talking about the state of first-person shooters, and Gibson laid out a detailed criticism about the way Call of Duty “takes individual skill out of the equation.” Gibson also expressed frustration over how difficult it had been trying to design a mode for Red Orchestra 2 that appealed to Call of Duty players.

PCG: How do you feel about the state of FPSes?

John Gibson, President: I think that single-player shooters are getting better. I think they’re finally coming out from under the shadow of the Hollywood movie, overblown “I’m on a rail” linear shooter. I’m talking about Call of Duty-style shooters. In the late ‘90s, you had the original Deus Ex, which was an RPG-shooter. And those kind of games almost took an eight year hiatus. And I’m so excited to see them coming back with interesting gameplay. Like the Fallout games, even though their shooting mechanics could really use some improvement, just mixing a really cool story, but not a linear story, one that you create yourself. The melding of RPG elements and shooter elements has been great. I’ve seen this reflected in a lot of the reviews, it’s like, “Okay guys, we’re tired of this on-rails experience.”