Battlefield 3

MaydaX

Ya know what really blows for guys like me? I'm a DM lone wolf type of gamer. But, because COD has become such a turd, I am pretty much forced into the objective style of games like BF and RO2. I hate team play. Why should I care if I am a team player with a bunch of strangers on a pub server? I don't know them and would rather kill them all, lol. I hate Rush and Conquest with an unholy passion. Reading that article, Maydax, left me empty and hollow. Ah well, there is always my old favorite, the RTS. Starcraft II anybody?

Edited by GutshotYooper
  • Upvote 1

Ya know what really blows for guys like me? I'm a DM lone wolf type of gamer. But, because COD has become such a turd, I am pretty much forced into the objective style of games like BF and RO2. I hate team play. Why should I care if I am a team player with a bunch of strangers on a pub server? I don't know them and would rather kill them all, lol. I hate Rush and Conquest with an unholy passion. Reading that article, Maydax, left me empty and hollow. Ah well, there is always my old favorite, the RTS. Starcraft II anybody?

+1

"team play" :lol: never see it, hears lots about it

looking forward to DIII clickety clickety goodness myself

+1

"team play" :lol: never see it, hears lots about it

looking forward to DIII clickety clickety goodness myself

Kinda depends on who you game with. I always find playing MP as a lonewolf is like sex, you can do it alone but its much more fun with someone else :P

• Upvote 6

Kinda depends on who you game with. I always find playing MP as a lonewolf is like sex, you can do it alone but its much more fun with someone else :P

yeah i mean pubbing alone. rarely do i see team play. usually the closest thing to team play is clanners on opposite teams ghosting out ppl after they die

when playing with friends it is a different story.

Has anything been said on TDM player count? I am guessing 32, but not seen anything official. thx

butt

Last I read it was officially 24. However the leaked beta servers went much higher.

Last I read it was officially 24. However the leaked beta servers went much higher.

Thanks. Added one to the list. Got a good deal on our servers and had a little more in the monthly server budget as a result. Should make for a nice change of pace from conquest. Could double as a possible scrim/ladder server later down the road.

butt

Doesn't look good for the PC, number wise. Any numbers from origin?

Hi all,

the first draft of the server administrator's manual is now available to the world here: http://static.cdn.ea.com/dice/u/f/bf...inistrator.zip

Some highlights:

- Remote admin protocol spec included

- lists of all maps

- lists of all gamemodes (and all maps can be used in all gamemodes)

- list of gameplay-affecting settings in the admin manual

- you can mix gamemodes in the maplist

- For BF3 PC, Normal / Hardcore / Infantry Only are umbrella names for a specific group of settings; details in the server log

- there is a section in the manual which describes how changing server settings affect filters and Quickmatch on Battlelog

- unranked mode is, well, "nearly working" so for the first few days after launch all servers will run ranked

- in ranked mode you can control all settings (but at some point we will enforce PB on, game-password off .. or similar)

One thing which requires some extra elaboration is player counts, gamemodes, and how those things work together.

When you rent a server from an RSP, you rent a certain number of slots. The RSP controls the max number of players on your server.

In addition, you can temporarily lower the number of slots below the RSP-enforced setting through a remote admin command.

Now. There is currently no mechanism that enforces that a given gamemode can have at most a given number of players... so you can in theory run any gamemode with up to 64 players.

Some game modes (such as Squad Rush) will probably not work very well if you set the limit higher than intended. Most will function. Some will become less playable because the matches get a bit unbalanced. But for instance running Team Deathmatch with a lot of players should not be a problem.

I will probably not be able to answer questions in this thread in a timely manner. However, things that you ask about here are things that we will try to cover in documentation updates.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1443233-second-look-bf3-pc-game-servers.html