Battlefield 3

MaydaX

Managed to get my hands on the 60FPS 1080p trailer floating around. Here's what I found interesting...

SwNKwl.jpg

No idea what this contraption is. Looks like a noobus-maximus. No doubt a noobs wet-dream. You'll also notice that the mini-map now displays the flag letters on the icons!

CPOW0l.jpg

Looks like some sort of super-tank (M1/US variant) with an extinguisher!

40y9dl.jpg

The super-tank (T90/RU variant) with armour-plating on the front! (Y) And as the kill-feed reveals it's a Sprut-SD.

Click on the pictures for bigger versions ;)

Edited by Singh400

• 4 weeks later...
Coming in North America on September 11 and in Europe on September 13, the Battlefield 3 Premium Edition is the ultimate Battlefield experience! Combining the original Battlefield 3 game, all Battlefield 3 Premium content including five themed digital expansion packs, and a Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Head-Start Kit that is custom-designed to help jump start players who are new to multiplayer by automatically unlocking 15 different weapons, gadgets and vehicle upgrades. Battlefield 3 Premium Edition delivers more than 25 maps, over 70 weapons and vehicles and dozens of unlocks and upgrades, making it the perfect entry point into one of the top shooter games of this generation. At $69.99 it's an unbeatable value compared to purchasing all this great content individually at a cost of well over $100.

Battlefield 2 had official modding tools in place, and the modding community helped to keep the popularity of the game churning for many years after its initial release. However, recent sequel Battlefield 3 came with no official modding tools, causing an uproar from the modding community.

At GDC Europe this week, Karl Magnus Troedsson, general manager at DICE, explained why this is the case -- essentially, DICE is scared of the implications of giving players access to parts of the game's code.

He reasoned that, while the company is very much aware of how important modding can be for building up a game's longevity, "we're afraid of all the things that can come with releasing the code."

Giving players access to certain parts of the code would potentially leave it open to hacking exploits, he said, and this is something that DICE is not comfortable with at all.

Adding to this, he noted that Battlefield 3 is not just a PC release, but also available on console, and that if DICE was to accommodate modding tools, it would want to provide these to console players too, which is rather more tricky.

"If we do mod support, we want to do it really, really well," he reasoned. "We are not ready to do this yet."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/176142/Modding_tools_for_Battlefield_3_Its_a_scary_business_says_DICE.php

Remember back in July 2011, when DICE claimed that Frostbite 2 was too complex and that was the reason why they did not release mod tools for Battlefield 3? Well, they were lying. We knew back then that there was something fishy but our guess back then was that DICE decided to lock Battlefield 3 because the release of those mod tools would ruin their DLC plans. We were partiartly right, as the company has planned BF3′s DLCs long before the game’s launch. However, it seems that there was and another reason that forced DICE to lie when it came to the game’s modding tools.

Karl Magnus Troedsson, general manager at DICE, explained at GDC Europe that DICE was afraid of releasing the mod tools for Battlefield 3 because they were scared of giving players access to parts of the game’s code.

As Gamasutra reported, DICE is very much aware of how important modding can be for building up a game’s longevity, but they’re afraid of all the things that can come with releasing the code. This basically means that the release of mod tools would leave Battlefield 3 open to hacking exploits, and this is something that DICE is not comfortable with at all.

In all honesty, this is a bunch of crap. DICE is simply afraid of ruining its DLC plans and that’s why they are not releasing those anticipated mod tools. It’s really sad, because the team behind BF3 and Bad Company 2 are modders themselves, that made their debut in the gaming industry via the Desert Combat mod. These guys should know how important are mod tools. These guys should be more friendly to the idea of releasing mod tools. These guys should not be lying to us.

Those ‘hacking’ excuses are as bogus as the fact that Frostbite 2 was a really complex engine. DICE can easily tweak its netcode, but then again, Battlefield’s netcode was a mess all this time. In fact, there are already a lot of hackers that have not been punished yet, and let’s not forget that each and every patch brings new glitches to the table.

It’s unfortunate, but DICE lied to all gamers about both mod tools and Battlefield 3′s maps. Remember when they said that they would not charge for maps and that they would not follow Infinity Ward’s example? Well, we all got our answers with Battlefield Premium and the awful Battlelog browser.

Unfortunately, that’s the truth behind those rumored mod tools and why DICE is not releasing them. It’s not about hackers invading Battlefield 3. It’s not about Frostbite 2 being a complex engine. It’s because those mod tools would ruin DICE’s and EA’s business plans. And that’s a fact!

http://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/dice-has-entered-the-dark-side-and-has-lied-to-all-gamers-about-battlefield-3s-mod-tools/

^But at what cost?

We've exchanged a substancial list of expectational features, for a browser based game and a kiddie "battlelog" to keep track of stats?

Line from Animal House comes to mind: "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

And that is why EA is exploring to be bought out because of their goofy ideas that came back and bit them in their rears!

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/electronic-arts-exploring-sale-t163009.html

All I can say is hopefully the new owners know what they are getting themselves into.... :popcorn_cat:

EA will never beat MW3 and IW. The two things MW3 did wrong was they made p2p ranked and dedicated servers unranked. And second, they did not use PB. Other than that, it is a great game.

^But at what cost?

We've exchanged a substancial list of expectational features, for a browser based game and a kiddie "battlelog" to keep track of stats?

Line from Animal House comes to mind: "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

You are going to tell me the BC2 server browser was better?!

I think that an in-game server browser is much better.

Several times i try playing the game,this is what i get when logging into Battlelog.

The site is currently full and you've been placed in the queue

Expected waiting time is -

Battlelog system should be removed as it is now, while still keeping it as a stats website.

I think Battlelog should be optional and there should be an ingame server browser.

I shouldn't have to launch a browser to play my non-browser game.

Its better to start one application (standalone / the game) instead of three applications (the game, Origin and Web browser with Battlelog).

But thats just me :)

One of the best server browsers I've seen in an FPS is Steam. Can be resized, moved, apply filters, responds well while getting a list, can have a blacklist and more.

http://i.imgur.com/1z7ca.jpg

Not as many filter options as battlelog but it's been around for years.

Now I know why most of the player base went to MW3... -_-

MW3 peaks at 35-50k a day. All the Counter-Strike games beat that :P

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

http://www.gamestat.co.uk/#tabs-4

I never even played MW3. After MW2 and no dedicated servers in MW3 I wasn't even going to try it.

However for BF3 on the console side... well...

#1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

#2 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

#3 Call of Duty: Black Ops

#4 FIFA 12

#5 Halo: Reach

#6 Modern Warfare 2

#7 Battlefield 3

http://majornelson.com/2012/08/22/live-activity-for-week-of-august-13/

I still think it was a huge mistake to announce BF4 so early. BF3 isn't even out a year yet. They should have waited until at least the same year they plan to release it like CoD usually does (If it's a Fall release).

We already replied that unfortunately we´re not bringing out spec + battlerecorder to BF3.

As if it were ever in question.

Just like the mod tools story 'switch-a-roo' last week. Turns out the truth eventually seeps into the light of day sooner or later.

Blops 2 anyone? least we'll have a fair idea of what features we will recieve for our $60.

Kinda sad that CoD (and all the baggage that title brings to the table) can be held above my once favorite franchise. But, it is what it is apparently. :brownbag:

Blops 2 anyone? least we'll have a fair idea of what features we will recieve for our $60.

I will be honest it has me interested.

Even if we had unranked server files it may lead to something. Did for BC2 anyway (From the leaked server files).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qODGRyKTkOg

https://twitter.com/zh1nt0/status/238920436434485248

We already replied that unfortunately we´re not bringing out spec + battlerecorder to BF3.

They never say why not....It didn't seem hard to implement with the previous BF titles. I want to beat the dead horse a little more :fryingpan: ..I'm pretty sure they promised this when Bf3 came out. Lets see what they promise for Bf4 lol.

Other than the gameserver monopoly on the codbo servers, codbo wasn't that bad of a game. :brownbag:

Edited by Sorryboutthat

pretty sure they promised this when Bf3 came out. Lets see what they promise for Bf4 lol.

If I recall it was also promised or at least brought up for Bad Company 2 as well.