Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

MaydaX

402 updated his post

Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server.

http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/114889977741053953

Matchmaking and Dedicated servers on PC. Only P2P matchmaking on consoles. #MW3

Okay, so there will be dedicated ranked servers? P2P matchmaking will be for consoles only?

Maybe there will be ranked dedicated servers controlled only by IW/Sledgehammer to keep stats secure?

Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server.

Does Modern Warfare 3 on PC support an in-game Server Browser? Can you also use matchmaking?

Yes! In addition to the public matchmaking system for finding Ranked public games, you can use the in-game server browser to find and favorite unranked Dedicated Servers to join, which can be filtered by a number of options mentioned above.

Clicky Me

If its how it looks by reading that paragraph, whats the point of ranking up... unless they have an exclusive hosting provider for ranked..

If its how it looks by reading that paragraph, whats the point of ranking up... unless they have an exclusive hosting provider for ranked..

If your referring to unranked having the option to enable all unlocks for everyone then BF3 is also doing that.

Guess they made so much money last year, they really dont have to worry about sales this time around. Re-hash and re-package and off to the stores... Hopefully all this good news will prompt a few CoD holdouts to spend their $60 on a more worthwhile title.

butt

@wickysnip-NNB the real problem is that the population for unranked is historically, abysmally small. players want to play the whole game which includes ranking and collecting shiny things. people won't reallly want to play unranked until they are bored with ranked. just like cod4 and codww and modded servers

if they weren't trying to gouge for $60.00, i really won't mind so much.

Dan: Back in August, at GamesCom, you mentioned that you were working on customizing the PC platform for Elite. Back then I wondered if dedicated servers might be causing some of the concern — since there’s no central server hub to maintain data security, I thought that might make it hard to run competitions if you can’t guarantee how the servers are run. Is that part of it?

Chacko: Correct. We’re as committed as ever to the PC, but the need to ensure a safe PC environment is greater than ever. It’s really extensive. We need more time to get there, so Elite on PC will not launch on Day 1. We’re working our butts off to make it happen, but we won’t release it until we know that PC gamers can enjoy Elite as it’s meant to be.

The issue here is that the PC is an insecure platform. Without a central, trusted resource for stats, a lot of our competition features become unfair. We can’t give away prizes when people can easily cheat their stats. Leaderboards are less fun when a lot of the users are there unfairly.

Dan: A year's premium membership to Elite is one of the most prominent elements of MW3′s Hardened Edition, but there is no PC version of HE available for preorder. Does that mean there is no paid PC membership to Elite?

Noah: As Chacko mentioned, not being able to trust stats is a big problem for our design. Because of this, we had to re-imagine Elite for PC. Elite for PC will be about access to your own stats, or those of your friends. Basically establishing a circle of trust. And because it will have some reduced functionality, it will be free for everyone.

Dan: The ability to subscribe to discounted DLC through an Elite membership is a very popular aspect of the service. If there's no paid PC element to Elite, will PC gamers still have the option to do that, or are they on the existing a la carte system for MW3?

Noah: PC guys will be able to purchase their DLC content a la carte, just like it has worked before.

Dan: What elements do you feel confident will appear in the PC implementation of Elite? Do you have a timetable for when it will debut?

Chacko: We're working on it, but it is not going to come out until we've done a lot more work. At this point I need to say, "It will be ready when it is ready." I'm a PC gamer myself and I don't want to ship something to this community that doesn't have the polish that they deserve.

http://oneofswords.com/2011/10/call-of-duty-elite-october-2011-update/