Battlefield 4

SuperTaz

terrible awful sad news. I've been through almost all providers and NOTHING can beat the customer service I get at GD. Tickets get answered within minutes if not then the same day, and they will WORK WITH YOU FOR HOURS trying to find solution to problems. No other provider that I have been with have done the same.

We must do something about this!

Edited by ~*FaNtASyGiRL*~

At least we are getting dedicated servers not like other games and there stupid multiplayer system, over at games.on.net we will have servers up and running when the time comes, can't say much more. :ninja:

lolz? Seriously. So basically I lose my Gameserver provider that's already EA approved?.. Eh i'll wait a month or two and then see what's up. I have a feeling this won't exactly stick...

At least we are getting dedicated servers not like other games and there stupid multiplayer system, over at games.on.net we will have servers up and running when the time comes, can't say much more. :ninja:

Partnered with gs.com, I see. :P

http://games.on.net/2013/07/gon-and-gameservers-com-announce-new-master-plan-for-server-rentals/

I feel that this is an "exclusivity" (you scratch my back and we'll scratch yours) deal to be honest and that a few months in after the approved RSP's have reached saturation point with demand, EA/DICE may then look back at the suppliers they're shunning currently.

Also interestingly enough that while GD provide probably 50% of the UK servers, they are a provider where you can rent dedi boxes from. I'm wondering if this is something EA/DICE are trying to weed out.

I'm hoping they'll re-think this but I will say this, I will not be using mulitplay, I'd simply rather not have the game or rent servers for it.

We have also had for years now our own hardware server box's for our in house game servers that we run for the community, all types of games and more on the way. :)

It's good too see we stayed with dedicated servers in BF4 and didn't go down another road.

i think BF4 will be fine even if we have to go elsewhere fro a server it will be fine people will pay and move if needed

You might but I sure won't be. This is about choice, not being dictated to who we can and can't use to rent our servers from. It will affect those who run dedi boxes currently far more then those who rent the odd server here and there. I'm not going to give my money to a bad lot just because that's all there is!

• Upvote 2

For the little it will achieve, I'll add my voice here (as I have done elsewhere) to the disappointment that so many of the previous EA/DICE RSPs are apparently being culled. I doubt however that anyone is really listening to the customer. Ultimately the decisions have probably been made and set in stone.

We don't yet know which providers we will be restricted to. The closest comment appearing to eminate from a DICE person on Battlelog has simply said there will be "plenty of providers". My suspicion is that unless the provider has presence in multiple data centres they don't meet the new criteria. In reality choice for server renters will be much more limited.

I suspect that on paper EA save money by reducing the number of GSPs they deal with. Perhaps EA's backend servers could be more reliable with fewer datacentre locations?

In the longterm customers loose out. Reduced competition means prices can rise. Less provider choice prevents us moving if your current one sucks.

Smaller GSPs have frequently provided a more personal service, rather than the anonymous call centre approach of the larger organisation. That doesn't mean larger organisations aren't capable. Small doesn't mean underresourced. Indeed the smaller organisation can be more responsive. I wonder how many larger GSPs, from receipt of a ticket, would diagnose a PSU failure, and have the hard drive swapped into an identical machine so that our clans servers were back online within an hour?

Smaller GPS often give better value. The smaller GSP can tailor their package, where there will be less flexibility with the larger provider.

Renting a dedicated server box shouldn't be an issue. Providers like GD know they can't give us full access to the server, so everything is setup and run through a game control panel, and the GSP manages the stuff behind the scenes. No security problems there and provided the GSP doesn't allow to much to be installed on the properly specified dedi box, it performs at least as well as renting a single server on a shared box somewhere. Being forced to use a different GSP will cost our clan a lot more, or we will do a lot less, as we'd have the aggravation of transfering systems, and would have to pay for separated game servers, teamspeak, procon rcon layer hosts, and website.

If this restricted provision of server providers is progress, it sucks.

• Upvote 2