BF2 Hitfixer Legal or Not?

Crazzie_Canuck

It is not up to us to see if it is acceptable by punkbuster - you will need to contact Evenbalance :)

Ok thanks :)

ill contact them soon

yep it has a KeybdHook which maps the command to a key.

that bannable? Autohotkey bannable?

As in all other 3rd party program causing kicks/ bans as in new TS (or was it Vent?) GSC VOIP etc etc, the list goes on.

As for other "Autohotkeys" already on the banlist I would be very careful using this.

As in all other 3rd party program causing kicks/ bans as in new TS (or was it Vent?) GSC VOIP etc etc, the list goes on.

As for other "Autohotkeys" already on the banlist I would be very careful using this.

if i was using it i would be carefull, as im NOT i could'nt give a (insert a word here) i have though while online manually typed the commands into the console (omg takes ages)

i have been asked by several ppl i talk to via forums about wether it is bannable, i have looked into it as you will see from my posts above & passed the relevant info on.

Edited by CyFa

if i was using it i would be carefull, as im NOT i could'nt give a (insert a word here) i have though while online manually typed the commands into the console (omg takes ages)

Nope, do it this way:

Make a notepad file and have the cmd's in there, copy it, Alt + Tab back into the game, drag down console and use Ctrl + V, take you like 8,7 secs when set up correctly. How hard is that? :P

Nope, do it this way:

Make a notepad file and have the cmd's in there, copy it, Alt + Tab back into the game, drag down console and use Ctrl + V, take you like 8,7 secs when set up correctly. How hard is that? :P

oh i write software for a living & never thought of that :P ;) im glad your here to lead the way! :blink:

oh i write software for a living & never thought of that :P ;) im glad your here to lead the way! :blink:

Ctrl + V will not get you banned, and together with notepad, the most powerful text editor in the world it simply rocks :lol:

Nope, do it this way:

yeah but my script calculates the best settings for you and then types them..you cant do that with notepad...and i dont think anyone would like to open up the calculator and do it themselves everytime they join a new server.

also some people with slower computers lag when alt-tabbing out the game and in again...so doing it from inside the game console is the fastest way

anyway..i have contacted evenbalance..waiting for a reply now...:D

Edited by Delusion

REGARDLESS of what the software author thinks, with the play with words and the feeble justification, you use this YOU ARE A CHEAT, as far as I am concerned I DO NOT WANT IT USED BY CLAN MEMBERS ON MY SERVER!

Simple really "The Man from ER he says NO!"

oh and PS. ITS JUST A GAME if you need to use rubbish like this you should be getting out more!

yeah but my script calculates the best settings for you and then types them..you cant do that with notepad...and i dont think anyone would like to open up the calculator and do it themselves everytime they join a new server.

also some people with slower computers lag when alt-tabbing out the game and in again...so doing it from inside the game console is the fastest way

anyway..i have contacted evenbalance..waiting for a reply now...:D

You don't get it do you :)

I'm not talking about the calculations, who is your ping calculations anyways and no calculator needed for doing some simple 3rd grade math. ;) However i am talking about using a 3rd part program interfering with the BF2.exe file, also known as hooking. In other words, as I have said before, I recommend not to use it at all.

Admins can run checks for a modified usersettings.con file

To check for usersettings.con starting with:

rem

rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2

rem

SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.100000

SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0

SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 1200

SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime 100

Use:

pb_sv_md5tool a "1.1.2965-797.0" v "mods\bf2\Settings\Usersettings.con" SZ494 AT0 LEN302 80AE970A4A380B474EBF1EAAA02DCC7D

To check for usersettings.con starting with:

rem

rem Settingsfile automatically saved by bf2

rem

SettingsManager.boolSet GSClPunkBuster 1

SettingsManager.floatSet GSDefaultLatencyCompensation 0.100000

SettingsManager.boolSet GSExtrapolateFrame 0

SettingsManager.U32Set GSExtrapolationTime 1200

Use:

pb_sv_md5tool a "1.1.2965-797.0" v "mods\bf2\Settings\Usersettings.con" SZ494 AT0 LEN254 626D53AFA001E1B611E6D77474065E54

but this can be bypassed easily anyway :P

Someone just linked me to this thread and I'm glad I found it. There are a few things I need to clarify here. First of all, this HAS been approved by Evenbalance/Punkbuster. When I first released this to the public, one of my friends recieved a full PB ban. I immediately contacted Punkbuster, got the application approved and had my friend's ban revoked. I talked directly Stuart Dunsmore from the development team of Punkbuster. I've included the logs from our emails at the bottom of this post. The compiled version of HitFixer 1.31 was the last version that was approved by Punkbuster, and I am currently waiting to hear back about version 1.41. You will NOT get a kick or ban for using HitFixer 1.31.

HitFixer is the post on Saturday 05.17.2008 [2:00PM]

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-bf2.php

Someone stated earlier that editing the hit regs commands is against EA's ROE and is an unfair advantage. I couldn't disagree more. When everyone has the stock/standard hit reg settings, only the users with a certain ping will get good hit reg. Everyone else who doesn't have a ping that coincides with the stock hit reg settings will have bad hit reg. The players that have the right ping in relation to the stock settings get good hit reg, everyone else doesn't. So rather than having editing your hit reg being an unfair advantage, I see it as REMOVING an unfair disadvantage that the bad ping players have.

All HitFixer does is type a few simple, but long, console commands for you. Would EA have included console commands that the user should not type and are a hack/unethical? I find that highly unlikely. Changing these settings for improved hit reg and making the game play the way it should play, with no dust, seems smart. Again, all this app does is type long lines into the console, and does the math for you on what numbers you should actually use for these settings. I used to type those 3 long console commands everytime I joined a new server, and eventually got tired of it, which is why I made this application. The alternative which was mentioned is to alt-tab out, quickly do the math on the right numbers, copy it from notepad and paste it into the console three times. That would probably take maybe 20 seconds? Or you could just use HitFixer, which takes about 3 seconds to do.

In regards to admins checking and kicking for a modified usersettings.con file, I find that highly illogical. These settings can be changed in-game via the console, which is how HitFixer does it. Should admins also kick people for having a modified Controls.con file because they remapped their keys from the in-game options menu?

Lastly, I'm not even sure who this Delusion guy is. He posted a few times on the HitFixer thread, then one day took the code, changed it slightly and posted it as his own. I didn't really see the point in what he did, since he hardly changed anything, but just rebranded it as his own. He also did not contact Punkbuster about getting approval, which got some of his users kicked and banned for using his version.

Walt

PS.

It would be sad if Autohotkey were completely banned, as I use it for many Windows functions. If banning AHK does stop macro users and actual hackers, then I think they should do it. I would then have to learn and rewrite HitFixer in another language, but it would be worth it if it stopped macro users. For people who think AutoHotkey is only for game macros, here are a few Windows scripts that I always have running in the background. I can hold ScollLock and press the left or right arrow keys on my keyboard to change to the previous/next song in Winamp. I use ScrollLock and the mousewheel to change my Winamp volume indepedently of my sytem volume. I can hold the alt key and click in any window to move/resize the window without having to click in the strip at the top (same feature that is included with Linux). Lastly, I use a script which allows me to type with one hand (about 50 wpm), which I could not live without. I have had these scripts closed for the last week since Punkbuster has been much strickter on AHK, and I do not want to risk a ban.

EMAILS TO PUNKBUSTER:

My original submission to PB - May 15, 2008:

I wrote a small side application for Battlefield 2 and 2142 that automatically types in console commands to optimize latency settings. This is something the user can do manually, but I made this application to type these long console commands in automatically. I've been using it for awhile, and have never thought twice about it being an issue. However, recently I shared it with my friends, who found it very helpful, and now one of them has received a PB master ban for an (Autofire) violation.

Since this has now become a problem, I am coming to you to get approval for this application to be added to some sort of exception list, much like the developer who made the WideScreen Application got Punkbuster approval. It would be great if this application could continue being used, and users who run it won't be added to the ban list. My friends and I still play Battlefield 2 and 2142 competitively and regularly, so getting this application approved, and ALSO getting him unbanned would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart - May 15

I just downloaded and check your application. It appears that your program triggered a false positive on another app that may have had AHK roots. I'm redoing the detection and will make sure it does not trigger on your application. Kicks should cease in the next few minutes. We have made an official announcement on our website retracting the 119015 violation. You can use that to be unbanned from any master ban lists sites if they do not pull it themselves.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-bf2.php

Thank your for promptly bringing this to our attention. If any more kick occur in the future please contact us again.

Me to PB - May 15

Thank you SO much. I did write this using AHK, which I learned years ago for automating certain Windows tasks, NOT for cheating at games. Are you aware that this was written using AHK in making your decision? I figured I'll be straightforward with this, and hopefully this will not change your decision.

Also, will there be any problems in the future if I make updates, add support for other games, or general compatibility changes?

What steps need to be taken to remove any bans my friend has received? How do I use this retraction number to make sure he doesn't receive any more bans, or to be taken from other "master ban lists sites?"

Stuart - May 15

All sites that I know of have an appeal process, simply linking our announcement and the vio is enough to get someone unbanned from them. If they do not pull all violations for that number anyway. The reason I mentioned AHK is that it's likely the hack was written with the same code, meaning signatures overlapped. AHK is being used more and more to write hacks in BF2, and as we crack down on them, some legit apps, using the same code get caught. It's posible that an update you do could trigger a kick that has been around.. or a new hack will do the same. I can make sure that THIS version is not caught again though. not using AHK would be the best way to avoid this in the future. We are exploring kicking any and all AHK built apps in the future, not for ban, but 0 minute kicks from a server. Essentially making someone that runs them unable to play on PB servers. Be warned.

Ton Ray to me - May 15

We did not ban your friend, or anyone for this violation #. Our public announcement should get him unbanned by any admins or community lists. Stuart indicated your app was triggering this kick on our error, that's why we made an announcement. If anyone keeps him banned because of this, let Stuart know.

Me to PB - May 17

My friends have still been getting kicks for using the Latency Changer. They are receiving the message "Violation (AUTOFIRE) #119016." Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Stuart - May 17

119016 now? Arg.. looks like I messed up somewhere.. Man.. why does your app have to be so dang similar.. I'll pull this one too. bah.. sorry.

Stuart - May 17

the same BF2 announcement has been changed.. I am very sorry. I somehow messed that up. I'm making ANOTHER check, but this time it will not be a bannable violation. It should not hit on your app, but even if it does, it will not cause bans. Again.. sorry.

Me to PB - Jul 2

I wrote a new version of my application that fixes the hit detection in Battlefield games. No one I shared it with was able to figure out how to use it themselves, so I made it easier to understand for users, and also fixed a bug I found. You said that if I made any changes to the program punkbuster might start kicking people again. Can you take a look at and possibly approve this new version?

Stuart - Jul 5

Ok, I just scanned this. It's going to get a kick by PunkBuster if you release it. It now looks the same as that autofire AHK app again. Did you upgrade your AHK to the latest version maybe? Not sure how to make it undetected though, other than code it in VB or some other language. Maybe you can try a recompile with different options.

Stuart - Jul 5

Ok, scratch that last message. Sorry.. I just checked it again. It got a hit, but I mistook it for a vio that was live. The hit it got was the 119016 that I pulled and fixed last time. This will NOT cause a kick.. sorry.

Me to PB - Jul 5

Thanks so much Stuart. I really appreciate you taking time to do

this. I owe you one!

Thankyou for taking the time to post and explain what has happened here - our userbase will appreciate it :)

I think you may have misunderstood my post at the start of the thread, however - I was not saying that using the program was against the ROE - I was stating that it is legal in terms of what we ban for, but I was not sure what implications the EA ROE would have on its use.

I hope you don't mind, but I wrapped the e-mail conversation in "spoiler" tags - just to make the post a little bit easier to read.

Lastly, I'm not even sure who this Delusion guy is. He posted a few times on the HitFixer thread, then one day took the code, changed it slightly and posted it as his own. I didn't really see the point in what he did, since he hardly changed anything, but just rebranded it as his own. He also did not contact Punkbuster about getting approval, which got some of his users kicked and banned for using his version.

lol you kidding?

i took your code?lmao

changed it slighly?some big lies there

i took code from your script when it was on version 1.31 and the ONLY code i copied was the one that was calculating the settings(there wasnt anything worth copying anyway...the gui looked crap and the other stuff was useless).everything else i did myself..then you contacted me (or dupaunit...dont know if your the same person) and told me that my gui and coding was nice etc etc.Told me to work together but i didnt want to...And then you copied my gui style and still use my coding style and the way i put comments etc..your really pissing me off now...so dont tell me that i stole your code when you have copied MUCH more..i can still see my coding in your script.....look at the way your gui looks...thats my gui style...your 1.41 is almost the same style as my script...

and lastly you said that i hardly changed anything...thats a big lie...anyone seeing at those two scripts can easily tell that i have done much more than you did...im waiting to see what your gonna copy from me again on your next one version :rolleyes:

now lets not continue this conversation here since this topic was made for another reason...you know how to contact me anyway if you want to talk

Edited by Delusion