Fishy demo & ? regarding hw bans

TehSuk

We had someone come into our server a few nights ago that looked like they might be cheating. One of our members managed to get a demo:

http://wolf.clanmacaddict.com/media/mc.dm_84

Just looks like camping to me, but the way he was looking down is fishy...

He also lied and said he was using a mac to play the game, but from looking at the PB logs he was playing on a PC.

I wasn't able to get a pb screenshot, just the demo. The only thing that I saw logged for this user were violations:

[06.11.2005 18:25:46] VIOLATION (IGNORING QUERIES) #9003: McSketchy (slot #7) Losing Key Packets [d3d3d9d8adea6dc6c857d8207277f4d2(VALID:18) 68.33.136.241:27960]

[06.12.2005 11:08:34] VIOLATION (COMFAIL) #133: McSketchy (slot #6) No Packet Flow [?(-) 68.33.136.241:27960]

[06.12.2005 12:27:30] VIOLATION (COMFAIL) #131: McSketchy (slot #6) PB Client Not Responding [d3d3d9d8adea6dc6c857d8207277f4d2(?) 68.33.136.241:27960]

[06.13.2005 03:07:15] VIOLATION (IGNORING QUERIES) #9003: McSketchy (slot #9) Losing Key Packets [d3d3d9d8adea6dc6c857d8207277f4d2(?) 68.33.136.241:27960]

Also, is there any way to take advantage of the hardware banning technology that PB uses against people that hack into PB to ban cheaters? It seems trivial for someone to harass a server by regenerating CD keys in ET since it is free.

Edited by TheSuk

im not a part of pbbans.com but i can tell you that guy is definately cheating, view the demo with shownormals on and you can see him looking at players through the walls

just think yourself lucky you can only find one cheater on a server, if we dont get 10 a night its a good night, its starting to become ridiculous the amount of people cheating on our servers and all we can do to combat this is give them a ban that lasts for all of 30 seconds, if i saw this guy playing on one of the servers im an admin to id either let him go or just ref kick him, banning people is pointless all it is doing is creating a never ending list of ip addresses

if you have some sort of guid/alias/ip address tracker which we do all you can do is check if he has a static ip address, if he does ban that

im not a part of pbbans.com but i can tell you that guy is definately cheating, view the demo with shownormals on and you can see him looking at players through the walls

just think yourself lucky you can only find one cheater on a server, if we dont get 10 a night its a good night, its starting to become ridiculous the amount of people cheating on our servers and all we can do to combat this is give them a ban that lasts for all of 30 seconds, if i saw this guy playing on one of the servers im an admin to id either let him go or just ref kick him, banning people is pointless all it is doing is creating a never ending list of ip addresses

if you have some sort of guid/alias/ip address tracker which we do all you can do is check if he has a static ip address, if he does ban that

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I ban by IP only now, and I use pbbans master player index to cross-reference the player in question to get as many ip's as possible.

I ban by IP only now, and I use pbbans master player index to cross-reference the player in question to get as many ip's as possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats all good if they have a static ip address, we used to ban ip's too until other people with the same isp used to come in asking why they are banned, banning the ip address of someone that gets a new one when they reconnect to the net is pointless also

we need an outside program that will let us make hardware bans, this can be dodged but it is a lot harder to dodge than deleting one file or reconnecting to the internet