Will PC Gaming Make a Comeback?

SuperTaz

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/05/could-pc-gaming-make-a-comeback/?source=yahoo_quote

FORTUNE -- With no replacement for Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3 coming this year, PC games could see a resurgence and with it demand for high-end gaming computers designed to provide the best gaming experience.

A decade ago the PC was the system of choice for many video gamers who wanted the best graphics, the most cutting-edge gaming experience and the ability to play with friends online. Before the arrival of the Xbox from Microsoft and the PlayStation from Sony, the PC was the dominant system for multiplayer action-based games.

Times changed. And as traditional gaming companies expanded their reach with new products from Nintendo's family friendly Wii to Microsoft's Kinect motion controller, the PC was relegated to a niche mainly for the hardcore.

Times could be changing again, however. According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

PC gaming will do well, and we'll be loved by game companies until the next gen of consoles, then we'll be back to being a "niche market" again. Then once again, games will be "Available on XBOX!!! PLAYSTATION!!!! and .........pc.......... Such is life.

Consoles will come and go. I consider them a fad of the time. Heck I keep an xbox in the living room with plenty of games. However, I bet I haven't played on it for a total of 5 hrs. Only reason I keep it there is to keep the company off my pc's during the holidays... Just a couple of years ago the cost of a really good gaming pc was fairly pricey. With all the new gen cards and etc coming out and the prices of the last gen falling. Now you can build a really fast gaming pc on the cheap. Console vs PC, and pc has no limits as to what it can be used for. Pc will win. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Upvote 1