Widescreen Format: Cheat or not Cheat ??

Comandante TJ

Hi folks.

This is my first post. Sorry for my bad english. I am Spanish.

You know BF2 and BF2142 dont support native widescreen format. If you put in shortcut not 4:3 sizes you have a field of view cut at the botton and at the top. Take a look:

post-110560-1188319828_thumb.jpg This is a normal view at 4:3 format 1024x768. Typical "square" monitor.

post-110560-1188319925_thumb.jpg This is a 16:10 format 1680x1050. Typical widescreen monitor.

post-110560-1188320089_thumb.jpg This is a 16:9 format 1920x1080. Typical LCD-TV.

Notice that how field of view is cut at the top / bottom respect 4:3 format. We can say widescreen monitor is disavantage because it has less field of view.

Well. David Rudie has done a little program to correct FOV (field of view) and adjust to widescreen monitor in BF2 and BF2142 games. His web: http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/

Here a image with this program at 1920x1080. Now there is not cut at the bottom/top respect 4:3 monitor but there is more field of view on the right/left as normal widescreen.

post-110560-1188320691_thumb.jpg

The question is: Is this program a cheat or not ?

May Punkbuster kick/ban if you use this program ?

I need an oficial answer. Many people who uses widescreen monitors dont know if they can use that.

Thanks in advanced.

Best Regards.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...p?p=50424#50424

It says the older versions get kicked by PB. They don't give a violation number that is hack related.

But the widescreen mod seems to inject into the exe / dlls so I would avoid using it.

Hi,

I use Matrox TripleHead2Go (3 monitors) to play many of my games (F.E.A.R., Oblivion, Doom 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter...) and would like to have its functionality in Battlefield 2. I understand that a mod is being developed (by racer_s?) to allow this, but was wondering if punkbuster would kick me off and call me a cheater if I used it.

Also, where do you stand on using widescreen or triplehead2go in games? Is it considered cheating? I have heard many different views (pros and cons) and would like to know where you stand.

Thank you,

Firefly16

08/24/2006 11:59:49 - "Glenn Courington"

Note #2: As long as it's not modifying any of the game files or what is stored in memory at the time, we will not technically consider it hacking. The fact that you're able to play it in FEAR and D3 (both PB-enabled games) should for the most part ease your fears.

I do, however, have reservations, as I have no idea how racer is going about creating the mod. If he is having to modify game files or hook into dlls, he may be crossing over the line. I can't answer the question without knowing how he's doing this.

08/24/2006 12:07:41 - "Firefly16"

Note #3: Thank you for your quick reply.

If the mod does modify dll files, but only allows for proper FOV at such a high resolution, is it possible for him to work with punkbuster so that punkbuster will not identify this as hacking?

08/24/2006 17:25:03 - "Glenn Courington"

Note #4: Possibly. Please have him contact [email protected]

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...p?p=50424#50424

It says the older versions get kicked by PB. They don't give a violation number that is hack related.

But the widescreen mod seems to inject into the exe / dlls so I would avoid using it.

That's not the same program as I said.

Take a look:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...pic.php?t=11529

This program has not got DLL's as Racer_S's program.

I sent it to EB and got this reply:

At this time, we are not considering them to be malicious and they are not breaking anything that would trigger a violation, so go ahead and allow it for the time being. If this changes, we'll make the appropriate announcements.