PBBans Community Opinion

Ghost

Was I correct in banning him?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Was I correct in banning him?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough evidence

We had a guy on our server the other night that i cant "prove" was cheating but im satisfied with banning him. He had some cvars that were above the limit by .000001 and .0001, which is really interesting considering that mine is set at 140, his being 50.000001.

Just want some opinions on these demo and some explinations of what these cvars do, which I found in the cvar log.

02.26.2005 10:10:44] [From #2 c1f9(VALID) Yang] sys_versionignore = "11"

[02.26.2005 10:10:44] [From #2 c1f9(VALID) Yang] com_ignoreothertasks = "1"

[02.26.2005 10:10:44] [From #2 c1f9(VALID) Yang] com_ignoreverifynetwork = "1"

[02.26.2005 10:10:44] [From #2 c1f9(VALID) Yang] cl_yawspeed = "50.0001"

[02.26.2005 10:10:44] [From #2 c1f9(VALID) Yang] cl_pitchspeed = "50.000001"

The demos can be downloaded here

Was I right in banning him?

Edited by Ghost

watching now, however it'd really help it if was in first person.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i hadnt thought about 1st person till the end of the second demo.... watch closely right before it ends and see if he should have known where the guy was

yes he could haven known he was there , you can clearly hear footsteps and he turns back to get him ......

just look how this guy moves ....hes a very very experinecd player.

sometimes i do get a sense of a wallhack , but its not 100% clear.

and having 50.0000001 is perfectly allowed , i know lots of league players with that exact setting.

i'm a little biased i suppose since Yang and I are both in tcf now, but Ghost man... your players are... i hate to say it... but they are kinda n00bish in the way they play.

every time your player said 'BS' or 'no way' or whatever they said, it was obvious where they were.... footsteps are a huge thing.

the time you are talking about where he turns the wall near that one flag area.... well he heard footsteps, looked down that hall and you weren't there, so the only place u'd be was in that corner. that place is VERY common for someone to sit.

Yang is an experienced player as said above and knows where people will be.

but like i said.... i'm biased i suppose.....

yes he could haven known he was there , you can clearly hear footsteps and he turns back to get him ......

just look how this guy moves ....hes a very very experinecd player.

sometimes i do get a sense of a wallhack , but its not 100% clear.

and having 50.0000001 is perfectly allowed , i know lots of league players with that exact setting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

one place that seems like a possible wallhack is in the first demo. Watch when he first gets the flag and runs back to the red spawn. He grabs the pack and starts to move out but a nade comes in and he backs up against the crates, before you see the nade. Matrix at that point says "ghost did you see that".

one place that seems like a possible wallhack is in the first demo.  Watch when he first gets the flag and runs back to the red spawn.  He grabs the pack and starts to move out but a nade comes in and he backs up against the crates, before you see the nade.  Matrix at that point says "ghost did you see that".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never reviewed the second demo and wasnt paying close attention when it happened so I didnt know about the footsteps at the end but I will take a look at it again.

Im not gonna disagree that when they said BS that it was sometimes very noobish, everyone in our clan was predisposed to belive that he was hacking so naturally the first thing out of your mouth in that situation is "BS". And yes, our clan is certinly not the most experienced out there, we are here to have fun and when a guy can come in with ~120 cvars changed, a jump script where he can float, and is killing anything that moves around him the radar goes on.

It is also the reason I posted here, I want the opinions of those that know more than my clan and I do in these matters. The biggest thing I am looking for here is an explination for why those cvars would be set the way they are, mainly the com and sys variables. I havent found a record of them anywhere and the ignore commands mean that something isnt being check that normally is.

ghost u also have to take an account for when people check scores in order to know when they spawn. Your demos do not show when i check scores to see if u guys spawn or not. Jump script man? bettter check my config again. ITs called strafe jumping ghost...a technique in most q3 engine games i think. Just look it up somehwere. Honestly i don't even know what those cvars do so if pbbans has a problem with it...i'm happy to change them.

Edited by yangfushang

ghost its all about anticipation. anyways i'll watch the demo again to see what box thing ur talking about. All i know is dental qc was all over my ass and checked my config practically everyhday and said everything is ok

Edited by yangfushang

Yeah, i did hear the footsteps now that i went through the demo. Either you are the best player I have ever encountered or you are a cheater, either way you arent in the game for the fun of it and as I told you before it is best for us as a clan and the guests in our server that you dont play there.

either way you arent in the game for the fun of it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hate to talk for yang, but how can you say he isn't playing for fun?

ghost, take a trip to more then ptp servers and see other players out there... have you played against players from m and tcf and atf and other top clans? if you did you would realize that there are players as good and better (*gasp*) then yang is.

Let me say this about your poll. When you enter my server, you entered the Republic of Stymie. I pay for my server and I run my server as I see fit. If I choose to ban somebody for any reason, I do not hesitate. If I suspect someone of cheating but can not prove it, I owe it to myself, my clan mates and my visiting guests to have a fun filled server. With all that said, I will kick, ban, mute and abuse anyone who I see fit. As I said before, when you enter my server you enter the Republic of Stymie.

I would never globally ban or publicly ban someone for cheating unless I can prove it, but hey a local server ban is what I pay monthly for.

I hope that eases your mind :ban:

I agree with you stymie and thats why he is banned from our server. However I truely hate to ban someone that is not cheating and just want to see what the rest of the community thinks.

Your right boondock, I dont play out of the ptp server much aside from what few leagues we have been in and done poorly at because we are not much of a competetion clan. However I have never played anyone, in any game, nearly as good as yang. And anyone that has to adjust the ~120 cvars to get an advantage over someone is weak in the fact that he cant try to make himself a better player through true skill and this is what I mean when I say he isnt here for the fun. I know some cvars such as the rate and other network and user preference (like movement keys or the crosshair color/style) should be changeable but the other settings in the game have a default value and should be kept at default to create as fair as possible a playing enviornment for all players, letting them go head to head, skills agains skills.

Edited by Ghost

Ghost check this site out.

http://nmsjohndoe.tripod.com/id10.html

always a good idea to play agaist better players even if you think they have an advantage.. at the end of the day you will have the avantage.. sooner or later the cheater will be caught.. playing agaist better players will only make you better.

Edited by impulse

And anyone that has to adjust the ~120 cvars to get an advantage over someone is weak in the fact that he cant try to make himself a better player through true skill and this is what I mean when I say he isnt here for the fun.

i think he showed to you yesterday and in the past that he has true skill. changing cvars around will not make you that good. bring a noob to the game and give him yangs cfg. you think he'd perform that well? i think you and mattimeo should get together with your clans and discuss how things should be because you have a very similar mindset. cvars have a range and players are allowed to change the cvars to their liking within that range. if it was thought to give a player an unfair advantage, that range would be tighter then it is.

the only run in with ptp i've ever had was when dba scrimmed you one time on our server. after the match there was talks of hacks, and bs, and if it were on your server it would be much different etc etc. same issue here.

if a player is hacking, and all of a sudden, people are saying 'BS', 'your hacking' etc etc, and then up to 4 people are in spec, a 'good' hacker would turn off the damn hack. you need to learn how to catch people if that is what you want to do. teach your guys to quiety go to spectator... take a demo, get it to the people that know what they are talking about. hell you came right out and told yang he was hacking... he then took the time to go to a private server of yours and play more for you. not once did he talk back to your admins at all about the accusations, he just continued to play. is that a sign of a hacker? and he was still banned? no class.... no class.

ghost u think i just piss people off on purpose? i'm 15 dude....were the ones who are suppose to be playing this game FOR FUN not a bunch of old 30-40 yr farts :lol: ghost why don't i play u or any of ur members with "default" settings...but i have to change graphics and rate and snaps then fov and crosshair color/ size then well see if i suck. hows that sound?

Edited by yangfushang

ghost u think i just piss people off on purpose? i'm 15 dude....were the ones who are suppose to be playing this game FOR FUN not a bunch of old 30-40 yr farts

Name calling is for 5 year olds. Keep it real ladies and stay focused and on topic. If you take this to a personal level the topic will be closed.

The original author of this post asked for help and opinions. Be respectful and educate your fellow gamerz. You have been warned. You wanna make this a pissing contest, take it else where.

ghost u think i just piss people off on purpose? i'm 15 dude....were the ones who are suppose to be playing this game FOR FUN not a bunch of old 30-40 yr farts

The sof2 game needs to be purchased by an adult. It has a mature rating and requires you be at least 18 to purchase the game for play. So what the hell is a 15 year old kid doing playing something that he is not even old enough to buy in the store? Hmmmm....

Guest ntldr

Excuse my ignorance please.I thought these forums were to help those that need education.I have a couple of questions:

How do you demo in the first person?

Back to Ghost's original question ,does anyone know what these cvars do?

Also does anyone know what the cvar

cg_weaponMenuFast "0" does ,and why would you want it set to "1"

And one request ,I challenge anyone to apply Yang's settings to their own .cfg.I'm curious what you think after trying them.Thx.