208.167.249.11 - pbbans.dat file size

monoclast

If I have "Accept PBBans" disabled and "Enforce Bans" enabled, is my pbbans.dat file supposed to have PBBansHub bans added to it? From the guide, I was under the impression bans that do not originate from my server would not be added. But when I do a pb_sv_banlist, I see lots of bans that come from PBBansHub. I worry that my pbbans.dat file will grow so large that banning will result in server lag again as it has in the past on another server of ours.[10:15am]

i did the same and it appears to add to the list when someone on the MBi tries to join the server.

i may be wrong, but, new additions do not seem to happen as often as before we changed our flags

The flags:

Accept PB Bans

Accept Cvar Bans

Accept MD5 Bans

send ban commands to the server as soon as a guid is added to the MBi.

The flag Enforce Bans only sends a ban command when a guid that is on the MBi tries to connect to the server.

Bans are only written to the pbbans.dat after a ban command happens when pb_sv_AutoUpdBan is set to 1. If you wish to disable bans being added to the file (and instead being written only into memory and wiped after a PB or server restart), then all you need to do is set the cvar to 0. (Setting can be found in the pbsv.cfg in the PB folder.)

However, since the commands used by PBBans to ban are the same as commands you'd use to ban via rcon, those won't be then added to the pbbans.dat file either. You'd then need to manually add your own bans into the pbbans.dat ;)

If anything stays ununderstood, feel free to ask ^^

~

/*Pisi*/

• Upvote 1

The flags:

Accept PB Bans

Accept Cvar Bans

Accept MD5 Bans

send ban commands to the server as soon as a guid is added to the MBi.

The flag Enforce Bans only sends a ban command when a guid that is on the MBi tries to connect to the server.

Great. Thanks. So it seems if I turn off the "Accept" options, and leave the "enforce" option enabled, only bans that originate from our server will be added to our server's ban file.

One more question:

Is there a way for me to clear the existing ban file so that I can add back only bans we have done manually?

My goal is to have our local server ban file contain only bans that originate specifically from our server.

Edited by monoclast

So it seems if I turn off the "Accept" options, and leave the "enforce" option enabled, only bans that originate from our server will be added to our server's ban file.

No, it will store the bans of those banned from your server AND those that are already on the Master Ban Index (from your team and from other teams both) and try to connect to your server. ;)

Is there a way for me to clear the existing ban file so that I can add back only bans we have done manually?
You can just delete the pbbans.dat . ^^

~

/*Pisi*/

No, it will store the bans of those banned from your server AND those that are already on the Master Ban Index (from your team and from other teams both) and try to connect to your server. ;)

You can just delete the pbbans.dat . ^^

~

/*Pisi*/

Ah I see ok. Thanks.

After deleting it, do I need to restart PunkBuster somehow, or restart the server?

Doesn't really require a restart even though it'd have the same effect. The bans that were loaded from the file before are still in the server's memory. If you want to clear those out, run a pb_sv_BanEmpty command through rcon and you'll be done. ^^

~

/*Pisi*/