EA Partners, Other Divisions Facing Closure

MaydaX

Game Informer has received word from multiple anonymous sources close to the matter that the EA Partners label will soon be shut down. This program was EA's mechanism for providing contract-based publishing services for independent developers.

EA Partners isn't the only division affected by this latest round of layoffs and restructuring. The company has also reportedly closed PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Games, a studio comprised of former EA Black Box employees that developed the PC title Need For Speed: World.

A memo sent by interim CEO and Executive Chairman Larry Probst to the EA staff. The memo details the streamlining taking place, including a consolidation of marketing functions underneath chief operating officer Peter Moore. This also sees the collapse of all label marketing teams and other like functions underneath group vice president of global marketing, Todd Sitrin. Origin moves to Frank Gibeau's Labels organization (EA Games, Maxis, BioWare, and EA Sports). Andrew Wilson, former executive vice president of EA Sports, is taking over leadership of Origin.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/24/ea-partners-facing-closure.aspx

They should get rid of Origin. I would rather play from a disk and have a server browser in-game, than play using Origin.

Nonsense, I've actually disconnected my sata dvd drive. I needed the extra sata port for an additional HDD! I have many. I haven't used something from a disk in years. All the software I've bought in the past two years, games or otherwise have had a digital download option. Windows itself is easier installed from a flash drive, mainly because it's damn quick.

I have few qualms with Origin, my download speeds are quicker from Origin servers than they are from Steam! I've said it here before and I'll say it again, I was pretty upset with Blizzard when Starcraft II didn't have a download option on release, and forced people to buy an actual dvd.

An in game browser is one thing, but I would laugh at someone who handed me something on a dvd.

An in game browser is one thing, but I would laugh at someone who handed me something on a dvd.

Out of all the games I have on this system, I would say about 90% of them I have the disc for. The other 10% are mostly free-2-play games like BF Heroes and BF:P4F and TF2. :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/26/even-more-layoffs-hit-ea-but-how-many/?partner=yahootix

This is from the company memo:

"In recent weeks, EA has aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile. This has led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of our employees – those that are leaving EA will be missed by their colleagues and friends.

These are hard but essential changes as we focus on delivering great games and showing players around the world why to spend their time with us.”

They should get rid of Origin. I would rather play from a disk and have a server browser in-game, than play using Origin.

Would you believe that the BF3 disk doesn't have the game at all, and is just a copy of origin which then downloads the game for you? Pretty sure that was what I had to go through -.-