Viewing and converting demo's

deadmilkmen

OK, you guys helped with the SS question. Next up. Do you have any recommendations for converting the files you get from a demo, into something that can be edited in like "Windows Movie Maker" or any other editing software. When I try to use the recordavi command within the demo control panel, all I get is a bunch of pics, no movie. So, I am looking for something that will convert the ET demos to .avi or something. I tried fraps, but it is only for in game and is kinda choppy. I am looking to convert some old demos I already have.

Any help will be appreciated.

Here is a short demo I used to make a video for our clan. This is the type of stuff I want to do, but the quality from fraps is low.

http://www.dmclan.net/Videos/dope_leap.wmv

Hope you like it,

Milky

Edited by deadmilkmen

Hey man, nice vid.. First time I had the chance to check out Enemy Territory... One thing though..when i clicked the link it tryed to make it a text file which I thought was weird so I tryed to "save link as" (with F.F.) and it still acted the same way. So I went to save it again this time I removed the .wmv, saved it then after it was on my desktop I readded the .wmv to it and all was good. Kinda trippy it would act like that so I thought I'd let ya know.. :blink:

Hmmm, works fine for me. I have not heard of that from anyone else either. Hmmm, maybe someone here knows what is up with that. Have you updated your system and all that good stuff?

Milky

Edited by deadmilkmen

1. don't use your cousins IP or you get a nice avatar, that will perfectly fit your downloaded sniping skills :P

2. re OT: http://compunach.co.nr or http://unplug.mozdev.org is one out of 1000 FF-extensions to solve this, i mostly use ViewSourceWith to send the file to Media Player Classic

3. What i use is a on the fly setup (no postprocessing, mix in etc.) :

- Run the demo with a high quality cfg, r_mode 4 (800x600) or r_mode 3 (640x480), r_picmip 0, midrange gamma etc. squeeze out the best availible

- Windows sound setup with "Wave out Mix" selected and tweaked to mix in music or whatever "live", downside is i refuse 2 use TS = a laugh

- Record from the demo with fraps. The settings need some tweaking re quality/size, but from what i've tried the quality is more down to game settings and compression and i wouldn't run fraps ingame i.e. connected, only for demos (there where pb violations reported for some versions/games)

- compression is try and error, best blend quality/size i get most times with XVid codec, wmv is simmilar only playback truly sux :P

LOL, I assume that cousin comment was for BlacJack? Cause I have no idea what you are taking about. But, thanks for the tips on making the demo's.

Everyone, feel free to stop on by and snipe a little. We have a pretty layed back, slow and quite sniping server to relax on. Except when we turn on Party Panzers or a little creation we like to call "Rebound Sniper" LOL, it's lots of fun. We set the server knockback to -15000. LOL, it's a blast.

Thanks for all the tips.

Milky :rm_milk: