True combat:Elite - Enemy Territoy mod

emigrant

Hello,

we wanna start discussion about not allowed Cvars in our favorite game True Combat: Elite the Enemy Territory mod. This is our petition:

We hate tweakers

We was thinking about what shouldn´t be allowed as for intervening in games. Actually, it shouldn´t be allowed to meddle in game files in any way, for it affects the idea of the authors of this game. Nevertheless it is clear that it cannot be always observed because even the authors may forget some optimalization and mainly players with weaker machines are obliged to meddle in the setting for the sake of preservation of the game flowingness. Yet this would be all right, it is understandable when someone adjusts lower color depth and the like to make his game run fluently with his hardware. Though as we see it, changing config in order to gain advantage over opponents is another thing. Whatever one may say, when there is a group marked as Ownage in the tweak guide, it probably won´t be just so. Therefore we would like to ask everyone who has certain experience with configs adjustment to write their hints regarding CVARs that should not be adjusted, possibly the extent of their setting that should be retained. If our intention succeeds those CVARs would be placed in PB config with prescribed values and every interested server admin could use this config.

Thanks in advance to everyone for co-operation.

We think that this could be practictable not only in True Combat:Elite

Emigrant, Pigi and all others players from Czech Republic and fair playig people

Edited by emigrant

• 1 month later...

Hello,

we wanna start discussion about not allowed Cvars in our favorite game True Combat: Elite the Enemy Territory mod. This is our petition:

We hate tweakers

We was thinking about what shouldn´t be allowed as for intervening in games. Actually, it shouldn´t be allowed to meddle in game files in any way, for it affects the idea of the authors of this game. Nevertheless it is clear that it cannot be always observed because even the authors may forget some optimalization and mainly players with weaker machines are obliged to meddle in the setting for the sake of preservation of the game flowingness. Yet this would be all right, it is understandable when someone adjusts lower color depth and the like to make his game run fluently with his hardware. Though as we see it, changing config in order to gain advantage over opponents is another thing. Whatever one may say, when there is a group marked as Ownage in the tweak guide, it probably won´t be just so. Therefore we would like to ask everyone who has certain experience with configs adjustment to write their hints regarding CVARs that should not be adjusted, possibly the extent of their setting that should be retained. If our intention succeeds those CVARs would be placed in PB config with prescribed values and every interested server admin could use this config.

Thanks in advance to everyone for co-operation.

We think that this could be practictable not only in True Combat:Elite

Emigrant, Pigi and all others players from Czech Republic and fair playig people

im agree! :)

Posted Image

Define tweak?

Is largening the FoV from the basic 90 to 120 a tweak? What about taking the time to bind various movements and actions to keys? What about binding a key to binoculars + arty? Or a key that pulls out the srynge, uses it, then pulls back out my smg? Both of those examples might be considered cheating by some, but can be done by anyone.

My advice: Stream to PB, and then if you want guidelines on what you can/can't change beyond that use basic ETPro guidelines. Let people tweak their game to what suits them best, and if they own you all the time just take the time to learn how to do it and practice more. Half of the reason ET is so fun is because of everything you can change in it, customize in it, to make it run perfectly for you. Don't take that away from people jsut because you don't know how to/don't like it.

eeehm, TCE is a total conversion of ET.

there is no arty and no medics. its something like CS.

but yes, it depedns what you mean by "tweaking" the game.

i cant play with the wide-screen for example, i set it back to 3:4.

and btw, if i remember correctly, there arent too many things you can change and tweak in TCE, it mostly says "cheat protected"

You can try enforcing evenbalance cvars with this config http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/rtcw/pbsvcvar.cfg

The problem iis that most of the people that know ET/TCE and all the other forms of this game toggle certain stuff.

Toggling maxpackets,fov,nudge are just a few for example. And im not sure how pb works but it would seem that pb might not always be checking each machine running the game. What i mean by that is "Bob is toggling on machine a" pb moves on to machine b with John. Then Bob is allowed for several minutes to toggle away. Until pb comes back to his machine. Im not sure if this is just my thoughts or an actual issue. But it seems very likely this could happen.

I would like to know how long it takes for pb to scan each machine on a server. That might help in the process of figuring out where to go. I mean its not possible for pb to run checks on each machine all at the same time is it? If it did this I'm sure it would create a load on anyserver.

there is a cvar for that:

pb_sv_CvarFreq 6 //[# of range checks per minute]

and you got around 650 cvars in the confing, so itll take about a hour an a half to scan each machine for all cvars.

but you dont scan all the cvars do you?!

and it doesnt metter, because i dont think some1 will be fooling with the pb cvar check, you never know what cvar its going to scan next, you might be kicked.

Cvars won't cause ignoring MD5 tool query kicks. I get a lot of players getting kicked from my servers for "Ignoring MD5 tool queries", but only when players have lagged out, so it's no major problem.