How to determine COD4 frame rate

Merlintime

I apologize in advance if this topic is a duplicate however, my searches did come back with positive results.

How do I determine the frame rate of my COD4 game? In America's Army there was a button which would give information (fps, netspeed, channels, etc).

Thanks,

The following are console commands that may help improve network and gaming performance. If you do not know what the "console" is, then go read the COD public forums. The console is opened from your game by hitting the ~ key below the ESC key. All console command start with a "\" key (above the enter key)

Connections

1) Reduce number of failed connections to server:

- \cl_connectsattempts 30 (or 60)

- \cl_connectiontimeout 500 (increases the amount of time that you PC attempts to connect to a server before it quits trying.)

Performance or gaming improvements

1) Punkbuster Sleep setting

\pb_sleep 500 (tells punkbuster client software to wait longer before awakening and sending info to PB)

\pb_writecfg (makes the above setting permanent so you don't have to do it each time you log in)

- The above changes the frequency that your PC reports to the server and thus reduced frequency of network spikes and the associated latency.

2) Packet transfer setting:

\cl_maxpackets 100

- This setting helps smooth out data transfer and should help if you have a cable or other high speed connection. I got a 20ms ping improvement and other FMJ members have seen the same improvement with many indicating they are getting better hit registration.

3) Manage whether or not extra or duplicate packets are sent to the server

\cl_packetdup 0 or 1

(1 is default and this sends an extra packet of data in case the first one is lost. If you enable the lagometer (see tools below), then you can see if you are losing any packets. If yes, then leave this at 1. If no, you can consider changing to 0.

4) Enable higher Frames Per Secon (FPS):

\com_maxfps 125 (Default is 60 so this may help overall FPS. Some say this should be set at or just above your average FPS to smooth things out) (Others say the eye can only see 60FPS so who knows)

- This allows your game to go allow higher frame rates that the default. Set it to a value you want based on the capabilities of you machines

• 2 weeks later...

The following are console commands that may help improve network and gaming performance. If you do not know what the "console" is, then go read the COD public forums. The console is opened from your game by hitting the ~ key below the ESC key. All console command start with a "\" key (above the enter key)

Performance or gaming improvements

1) Punkbuster Sleep setting

\pb_sleep 500 (tells punkbuster client software to wait longer before awakening and sending info to PB)

\pb_writecfg (makes the above setting permanent so you don't have to do it each time you log in)

- The above changes the frequency that your PC reports to the server and thus reduced frequency of network spikes and the associated latency.

How do i put this back to default cause i tried doin this and now it seems worse im gettin lagg spikes every min or so..

pb_sleep won't cause lag, but if you changed cl_maxpackets try lowering it. Default is 30. 60 works well. 100 if you have a great connection to the server.

Well thank you all for the information, i noticed i could not always hear my footsteps in COD2 (500 FPS normal) but assumed others could :huh: . I guess i won't get upset about the 125 limit anymore, although i do notice a BIG difference in aiming/shooting performance at the lower FPS.

As for those who say nothing over 60FPS makes a difference because of the human eye... the human eye can detect no more than 15 images per second. I know it does not make sense but when i opened up my FPS and dumped my Duplicate packets so i get about 250 FPS in COD4 i noticed an instant 20+ kill increase per game. So much so it only took about 12 hours the last time i leveled up to 55 on PB enabled servers.

Just my 2 cents, i think FPS and packetdup do make a big difference. i've never had any issues with PB lag tho.