PB lag

wraithwingus

Gentlemen, i have noticed a fair amount of lag on my 12 man server and I am trying to get to the bottem of the problem. After putting in a trouble ticket on the problem I have gotten back that PB can be causing my server lag. Is this true? If so what are the common settings that can cause lag? I can post the configs if needed.

i have 7 servers streaming here with no lag at all

but i do not have screenshots enabled in punkbuster as i found this can cause lag on my server

see if that helps

The pbauotss feature may cause lag to some degree if you have the timing set to close together. Having run on both Windows servers and Linux servers, I've also noted that Windows servers tend to suffer from this issue, where Linux servers do not. No explanation as to why that is from end, just something I noted.

As far as pb itself causing lag, I've never experienced any. the pbbans configs definitely won't cause any lag or noticeable changes to how your server runs.

One thing to note is that your host may just not have enough bandwidth, or may be running your server on an over-sold box. That tends to be the more common reason for server lag of any kind, yet hosts don't ever want to admit to it.

The pbauotss feature may cause lag to some degree if you have the timing set to close together. Having run on both Windows servers and Linux servers, I've also noted that Windows servers tend to suffer from this issue, where Linux servers do not. No explanation as to why that is from end, just something I noted.

As far as pb itself causing lag, I've never experienced any. the pbbans configs definitely won't cause any lag or noticeable changes to how your server runs.

One thing to note is that your host may just not have enough bandwidth, or may be running your server on an over-sold box. That tends to be the more common reason for server lag of any kind, yet hosts don't ever want to admit to it.

Ah, this might explain it. I'll turn off the auto screen shots and see how that goes. Thanks.

Why dont post your pb config here. Maybe some pro's can see if there are any "bugs" ;)

Good idea...

pbsv.cfg..

; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; General Settings

; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pb_sv_MsgPrefix "^5PunkBuster Server"

pb_sv_MaxDlRate 4

pb_sv_MaxConDls 6

pb_sv_MaxSendRate 8

pb_sv_CQC 1

pb_sv_Sleep 83

pb_sv_DupNameGrace 0

pb_sv_ExtChar 1

pb_sv_RconReload 0

pb_sv_LogSync 1

pb_sv_AutoUpdBan 1

pb_sv_GuidRelax 4

; -----------------------

; Other Settings

; -----------------------

pb_sv_Restrictions 1

pb_sv_EmptyName 0

pb_sv_LogFloor 1

pb_sv_MinName 0

pb_sv_MaxName 0

pb_sv_LanMask ""

pb_sv_Lan 0

pb_sv_ChangePeriod 300

pb_sv_ChangeMax 5

; Kick Settings

pb_sv_KickLen 5

pb_sv_ScoreKick 0

pb_sv_UpdateGrace 2400

pb_sv_NoGuidGrace 10

; Power Point Settings

pb_sv_PowerMin 20

pb_sv_PowerDef 1

pb_sv_PowerKickLen 15

; Power Point Rcon Settings

; These are the allowed commands that can be run if the user has the min score to do so.

; [For Trusted players]

PB_SV_RCon 15 PB_SV_GetSs

PB_SV_RCon 15 PB_SV_PList

; [basic]

PB_SV_RCon 25 pb_sv_kick

; [intermediate]

PB_SV_RCon 50 map

pb_sv_rcon 50 pb_sv_say

pb_sv_rcon 50 map_restart

pb_sv_rcon 50 gametype

; [Advanced]

PB_SV_RCon 75 pb_sv_ban

pb_sv_rcon 75 pb_sv_badname

; [Full Access]

; List of Power Guid's for Power Point Rcon

; pb_sv_powerguid [GUID] XX [Player_Name(optional)]

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; [For Trusted players]

; [basic]

; [intermediate]

; [Advanced]

; [Full Access]

; ------------------

; PBSS Settings

; ------------------

pb_sv_AutoSs 1

pb_sv_SsFloor 1

pb_sv_SsCeiling 2000

pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 60

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 600

pb_sv_SsCmd ""

pb_sv_SsWidth 800

pb_sv_SsHeight 600

pb_sv_SsXpct 50

pb_sv_SsYpct 50

pb_sv_SsSrate 2

pb_sv_SsDelay 10

pb_sv_SsPath ""

pb_sv_ssLogging 3

pb_sv_ssTimeout 0

; Web Tool Settings

pb_sv_HttpPort

pb_sv_HttpAddr ""

pb_sv_HttpKey "HA! yeah right ;)"

pb_sv_HttpRefresh 30

pb_sv_HttpMaps ""

pb_sv_HttpMapsPath ""

pb_sv_HttpColText1 "FFFFFF"

pb_sv_HttpColText2 "0000FF"

pb_sv_HttpColBack1 "000000"

pb_sv_HttpColBack2 "808080"

pb_sv_HttpColLine1 "FF0000"

pb_sv_HttpColLine2 "0000FF"

pb_sv_HttpColMsg "FF0000"

pb_sv_HttpShowGuid 0

; Badname List (pb_sv_badname [grace_period_secs] [disallowed text])

pb_sv_badnameempty

;pb_sv_badname 10 server // Sample

; IP Guard

;pb_sv_ipguard 128.0.0.1 // Sample

; PB UCON Settings / Lists

pb_sv_usessionlimit 8

pb_sv_ucontimeout 90

pb_sv_uconempty

pb_sv_uconignoreempty

The default settings in the pbsv.cfg file from here at PBBans for auto screenshots is:

CODE
pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 300 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

Your settings might be to close together. I'm not an expert though. That's just an observation from looking at your pbsv.cfg you posted. ;)

The default settings in the pbsv.cfg file from here at PBBans for auto screenshots is:

CODE
pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 300 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

Your settings might be to close together. I'm not an expert though. That's just an observation from looking at your pbsv.cfg you posted. ;)

I had those like that before and changed them today.

Edited by wraithwingus