Sudden PB prob

UKDarkstar

Hi

Our Pavlov only server at 195.242.236.39:28966 has been fine until today when it's suddenly kicking everyone with an error saying PBGUID AUTH : UNKN

I've tried rebooting the server, updating my own PB manually and checking this matches with the server but still no-one cna get on. All our other servers are ok and have no problems

Anyone got any ideas/resolutions ?

Thanks

Why am I getting kicked for PB Guid Auth: UNKN?

The "PB GUID AUTH: UNKN" kicking means that your Game client is not sending a valid cdkey to id's cdkey auth server. Usually this is due to a problem with your cdkey entry. Exit Quake3 and then use your Windows explorer program to find the baseq3 folder where Quake3 is installed on your system and delete the file called q3key. Launch Quake3 directly and before you get to the game's main menu, it should ask you to enter your cdkey. Be sure to enter the 16 character cdkey from your Quake3 cd-case in all lower case letters. NOTE: If your cdkey has 18 characters, then you are not finding the right key. Team Arena keys have 18 characters, Quake3 keys have 16. If this does not fix the problem, then perhaps there is some type of firewall or security software blocking your game's communication to id's cdkey auth server. Be sure that UDP port 27952 is open for clear communication if you have a firewall or some type of security software.

Note: A cdkey is only valid if you bought the game and have a cdkey on your cd-case! Using a cdkey generator will allow you to overcome the checksum check within Quake3, stating that your cdkey is valid - it is only valid for single player though and will not allow you to play on the internet.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-q3.php

COD games are based on the Q3 engine, to a degree anyways. Information is still relevant.

Why am I getting kicked for PB Guid Auth: UNKN?

The "PB GUID AUTH: UNKN" kicking means that your Game client is not sending a valid cdkey to id's cdkey auth server. Usually this is due to a problem with your cdkey entry. Exit Quake3 and then use your Windows explorer program to find the baseq3 folder where Quake3 is installed on your system and delete the file called q3key. Launch Quake3 directly and before you get to the game's main menu, it should ask you to enter your cdkey. Be sure to enter the 16 character cdkey from your Quake3 cd-case in all lower case letters. NOTE: If your cdkey has 18 characters, then you are not finding the right key. Team Arena keys have 18 characters, Quake3 keys have 16. If this does not fix the problem, then perhaps there is some type of firewall or security software blocking your game's communication to id's cdkey auth server. Be sure that UDP port 27952 is open for clear communication if you have a firewall or some type of security software.

Note: A cdkey is only valid if you bought the game and have a cdkey on your cd-case! Using a cdkey generator will allow you to overcome the checksum check within Quake3, stating that your cdkey is valid - it is only valid for single player though and will not allow you to play on the internet.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-q3.php

COD games are based on the Q3 engine, to a degree anyways. Information is still relevant.

Thanks m8

I had seen that.

The only thing is this is affecting EVERY player who comes to our server (as far as I can tell). Surely it is unlikely that suddenly we all have a corrupt key ?

Stranger things have been known to happen. Perhaps post a sticky on your own forums for your members to re-enter their CD-Key via the game. With COD4 this is an option within the game options.

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you manually update the server by downloading the htm files from evenbalance and place them in the appropriate place(htm folder) as well as update the windows.dll or linux.so file from evenbalance as well, and then restart the server.

You may also want to contact your host and see if they're having issues on their end. A bad router/switch could possibly cause this sort of problem and it may not be directly related to pb/evenbalance or pbbans.

Stranger things have been known to happen. Perhaps post a sticky on your own forums for your members to re-enter their CD-Key via the game. With COD4 this is an option within the game options.

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you manually update the server by downloading the htm files from evenbalance and place them in the appropriate place(htm folder) as well as update the windows.dll or linux.so file from evenbalance as well, and then restart the server.

You may also want to contact your host and see if they're having issues on their end. A bad router/switch could possibly cause this sort of problem and it may not be directly related to pb/evenbalance or pbbans.

Thanks m8, may try the manual re-entering cd key. I've had no option but to turn PB off for now which solves one problem but will inevitably lead to others *sigh*.

Host hasn't an answer - they don't know why it's happened.

Cheers anyway

Quick update, after working through some of this directly. Server seems to be having communication errors with evenbalance servers. Ticket is apparently on the way, and will likely be resolved in a short time. Most players according to viol.log are getting kicked for communication errors of various sorts, but nothing related to cheating other than the very random 9001 kick and even these are not showing a ban atm.

Could well be a server-host issue, possibly related to evenbalance-side issue, only time with the ticket in will tell here.

Looking at the logs, over 75% were for comfail alone.

Quick update, after working through some of this directly. Server seems to be having communication errors with evenbalance servers. Ticket is apparently on the way, and will likely be resolved in a short time. Most players according to viol.log are getting kicked for communication errors of various sorts, but nothing related to cheating other than the very random 9001 kick and even these are not showing a ban atm.

Could well be a server-host issue, possibly related to evenbalance-side issue, only time with the ticket in will tell here.

Looking at the logs, over 75% were for comfail alone.

Many thanks for working thru me with that RoadWarrior - much appreciated !

Anyway, in meantine, no reply back yet from evenbalcne but manually downloaded Linux PB files from them and ftp'd to server, then forced an update and, whoohoo (!), all appears to be working again. Just got to sort our PBBans streaming not this weekend.

Many thanks for the help ! Happy gamers gain !

The help is free, and there to be used, at anytime. I think you'll find any staff member that can take a minute or two to help is willing to do so, as we've all got one common goal in mind. :)

Glad things seem to be getting back up to par. I'm not personally familiar with your game, so some of those issues were definitely new to me, but the commuication error was definitely evident.

There's more than a few knowledgeable staff that will likely be able to get you up and streaming properly that should be around this weekend, I'll be back in full force after the weekend as I work weekends, and get the odd post in here and there, but am mostly away.

If no one's gotten to you, please feel free to let me know, and I'll be happy to work thru it a bit more with ya. This time my ISP won't be screwing with my connection, to boot....ugh at the load-times for configs the other night. :(