Questions regarding Streaming and Forum access

Squash

I apologize if this has been addressed but I was unable to locate it.

I have my server streaming now but to be honest, I’m not exactly sure what that means. Is there a description of the service anywhere? My specific questions are as follows:

Do I need to maintain my own pbbans.dat file or does it now get updated in the streaming process? If so, why has my pbbans.dat file not changed?

Are the messages that pop up from the console a result of the “live banning” feature and what if I shut that off, what are other disadvantages are there? I just find the console messages distracting.

What does it take to be able to see the forums marked “Private”? I am registered, streaming and a server admin. Is there an application process? It looks like there are a lot of topics I am interested in.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.

Edited by *WDA*TS Squash

Hi, and welcome to PBBans :welcome:

Do I need to maintain my own pbbans.dat file or does it now get updated in the streaming process? If so, why has my pbbans.dat file not changed?

You choose. While streaming at us, you have 4 ways of maintaining your banlist up to date :

1. The easiest one : the Enforce Bans flag. With this option enabled on your server, every connecting player's GUID is checked against our MBI. If he is found to be a cheater, he is immediately kicked & banned from your server.

2. Another way, still updating automatically : Accept *** Bans. (*** can mean PB, MD5 or CVAR) Everytime a player is banned for a reason you checked, his GUID will be added to your banlist. Keep in mind that you will need a first time manual banlist update if you want to have all the bans.

3. Use jPAT, our update tool, to update your banlist.

4. Manually update your banlist using FTP, RCON or UCON.

Are the messages that pop up from the console a result of the “live banning” feature and what if I shut that off, what are other disadvantages are there? I just find the console messages distracting.

These message are a result of the Announce New Bans flag. You may enable/disable them according to your personnal preference. It won't interfere with the other features.

What does it take to be able to see the forums marked “Private”? I am registered, streaming and a server admin. Is there an application process? It looks like there are a lot of topics I am interested in.

SGA access is the higher a standard server admin can get.

With this status you can read & post in all the forum sections which are marked "Private".

(Just try and see ;))

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.

Np, feel free to ask for more. :P

Hi, and welcome to PBBans :welcome:

Thanks alot! I'm looking forward to learning this side of game server admin!

You choose. While streaming at us, you have 4 ways of maintaining your banlist up to date :

1. The easiest one : the Enforce Bans flag. With this option enabled on your server, every connecting player's GUID is checked against our MBI. If he is found to be a cheater, he is immediately kicked & banned from your server.

2. Another way, still updating automatically : Accept *** Bans. (*** can mean PB, MD5 or CVAR) Everytime a player is banned for a reason you checked, his GUID will be added to your banlist. Keep in mind that you will need a first time manual banlist update if you want to have all the bans.

3. Use jPAT, our update tool, to update your banlist.

4. Manually update your banlist using FTP, RCON or UCON.

Is there a prefered method? Also, I am using the "Universal" config from this site but I can not find the flags and settings you mentioned. Is there a tutorial I can look at or a way to learn how to implement these commands?

These message are a result of the Announce New Bans flag. You may enable/disable them according to your personnal preference. It won't interfere with the other features.

Couldn't find this one either, I'm sorta PB stupid

SGA access is the higher a standard server admin can get.

With this status you can read & post in all the forum sections which are marked "Private".

(Just try and see ;) )

Perfect... Thanks

My personal recommendation is to check "Enforce Bans" and to uncheck the three "Accept xxx Bans" flags. This frees up your server's ban list, improving efficiency. You also don't need to manually generate a ban list and upload it to your server.

Also be sure to update your MD5 tool and CVAR checks, by clicking 'Master Config Index' from the PBBans.com home page. That will give you the best protection possible.