Question for application

Zizi

Hi,

I want to ask for clarify rule

1.1 Game Server - A game server shall be defined as a network server running a program that acts as a hub for clients to connect to for the purpose of interaction. For the purposes of clarification, PBBans will only allow streaming from dedicated servers and not from LAN or personal computers.

It was used for denial of my application (see here). I have sent PM to ask for details, but did not get any answer.

Our game server is dedicated and is runing on standalone computer which is located at ISP'S serverhousing and have dedicated public IP (not shared with anything else), so obviously it is not "LAN or personal computer". This server is runing 24/7 for almost 3 years now. (Of course there was some outages due to technical/software problems, hardware upgrades etc but never more than few days.)

So I want to ask, if you accept streaming from dedicated game servers on dedicated computers ("server housed"), or only from hosted game servers (like Hyperized).

Thanks

Server-housed, as in a dedicated server being hosted from someone's home?

Bottom line, any and all servers that you attempt to stream are checked via IP through the MPi, or master player index, upon your application.

If the server IP matches a player's or several player's IP's, it's obviously hosted in a house, on someone's local internet connection, rather than a known GSP, or Co-Location facility.

There are several reasons for denial at this point.

One being that every player on that server will return the same IP, and two, the server's IP could end up changed at varying intervals due to today's dynamic IP assignments that are ISP controlled, which interrupt streaming, and cause all sorts of other issues when it comes to our streaming methods.

Your buddy can find a co-location host, and send his dedicated server to them, to be hosted by them, and run it remotely, or your clan can rent from one of the many GSP's out there that we can verify.

In your case, your own personal IP is als so close to that of the server, it would appear to be a second computer on your personal internet connection.

Server-housed, as in a dedicated server being hosted from someone's home?

No, dedicated server located at my ISP's server room (where are located some ISP's servers and other housed server from ISP's customers). It is not "someone's home", but professional service - "Co-Location facility" as you call it.

If the server IP matches a player's or several player's IP's, it's obviously hosted in a house, on someone's local internet connection, rather than a known GSP, or Co-Location facility.

I am quite sure that our server's IP do not match any player's ip :-)

One being that every player on that server will return the same IP, and two, the server's IP could end up changed at varying intervals due to today's dynamic IP assignments that are ISP controlled, which interrupt streaming, and cause all sorts of other issues when it comes to our streaming methods.

Server is not used for play (it is impossible), you can check your MPi for that. And IP is not changing also, it is dedicated for that machine and it is the same from first start 3 years ago .

Your buddy can find a co-location host, and send his dedicated server to them, to be hosted by them, and run it remotely, or your clan can rent from one of the many GSP's out there that we can verify.

In fact server is hosted by "co-location host". That it is my ISP does not matter, it is their professional service.

And there is no point to unnecessarily spend money for GSP services (and pay for every slot or every game server), when I have dedicated computer at co-location host for much less price.

In your case, your own personal IP is als so close to that of the server, it would appear to be a second computer on your personal internet connection.

My home IP is 88.103.253.xxx, Server's IP is 88.103.252.xxx. It is in different subnet, so theory of "a second computer on your personal internet connection" is realy wrong :-)

But yes, IPs are close, because server is hosted by my ISP's "co-location host" service. 88.103.252.xxx subnet is used for all servers hosted by their service, and for some ISP's own servers. For client connections they use other IP ranges, as my 88.103.253.xxx

And if I would connect to internet from different place (e.g. by mobile connection) and have applied over it (so my IP would be more different than server's IP), then it would be approved?

Anyway thanks for reply, finaly I know real reason of denial (however I still think that there is no violation of your ToS and denial was mistake).

Zizi

Can you give us a web-site link to your ISP that could provide more information on their services?

Your above post is helpful, but much the same could be accomplished with a decent in-house router, and a dedicated server + home computer.

The fact the first two octets are identical was perhaps the initial issue.

We'd be happy to look into it further, with more information pending.

I am sorry for slow answer, but i was too busy at work :-(

Can you give us a web-site link to your ISP that could provide more information on their services?

Of course, their website is www.afx.cz or www.jes.cz (both points to same site). "AFX" is company name, "jes" is abbreviation for "Jeseniky", which is name of local area where AFX provides ISP and other services.

But unfortunately I haven't found "server housing service" on their website. So I had phone call with AFX's representative yesterday, asking him why they don't write it on website when they offer it (and charge me for it every year ;-) ).

His answer was that they draw down public server housing offer from website this year's january, and now provide this service only as bonus for customers which use their internet connection services. Reason for it was (by his words) limited space in current server room.

Your above post is helpful, but much the same could be accomplished with a decent in-house router, and a dedicated server + home computer.

You are right, but it is almost impossible in local conditions. Unfortunately in Czech Republic are speeds of home internet connections far far away behind rest of EU countries or US continent.

In fact in area where I live are avereage speeds of home connections cca 1Mb/256kb. I personaly have almost fastest localy available connection, which is 4Mb/512kb. It is still useless for serving purposes. Yeah, it is realy terrific, but we have to live with it as there are no other choices here :-(

We'd be happy to look into it further, with more information pending.
Thanks for it.

I have provided all info I can, but if you need anything more, just write me. You can also find me on MSN - zichovsky (at) gmail (dot) com

BTW server is also stremaing to PunksBusted for some time now (you can check here), and I had no problem with aplying there. Maybe it could be significant for you.

Zizi

Edited by Zizi