Application Denied

UF Renegade LTG

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78992

According to that post, my application was denied because my server has not been deemed a dedicated server? Just because I host my server myself doesn't mean it's not a "server running a program that acts as a hub for clients to connect to for the purpose of interaction". I host the server because I want to save money and I have the ability, I'm not some kid running a server for kicks. I'm trying to start up a clan (or restart, actually) and I'd like to stream these bans, I don't see why I'm any less deserving of the abillity than people that pay to rent their servers.

A dedicated server has to be located at a known Data-Center, not in your basement. The reason for this is that your server has been found on the MPI, here, or master-player-index. There is no reason why a dedicated gaming server should ever be found playing a game. As such, until you choose to co-locate it with a known DC, and it does not show on the MPI, you will not be allowed to use our services. If you choose to co-locate it at a known DC, you can feel free to re-apply for our services. I hope that is a clear enough explanation.

I don't play the game with my server, however it is behind the same router, therefore giving it the same IP. I don't see why a server has to be located at a 'known Data-Center', it's not any less of a server just because it's in my basement.

It is cleary stated in our ToS that we will only consider streaming from a dedicated server. For the purposes of streaming a dedicated server is defined as one that is hosted at a datacentre and is dedicated to gaming.

You may class the server as dedicated but to us it is a personal pc with the ability for you to play from it and run personal applications.

I am sorry but your denial will not be overturned. If you decide to rent a dedicated server at a datacentre then please feel free to reapply as RoadWarrior suggested.

Cheers

@(*0*)@

It's for security reasons, on our end. Part of our ToS, or Terms of Service, should you take a minute to read through them.

Your server can appear to have multiple players on it, all with the same IP at the same time, as a result of being behind the same router. It does not have a dedicated connection of it's own, to the internet. It shares your home connection.

These are our rules, and we're not bending. Your call on how you want this to work, but ultimately, until it has a co-located DC location that you can verify with us, it will not be allowed to stream. No exceptions.

Many have tried before, lots of similar threads on our forums. All end up in the same place. Denied, until our ToS is met.

So basically what you're saying is that in order for me to use this service I have to pay for it?!

Why should you care that I have "the ability to play from it and run personal applications". Which, by the way, I don't. Any server, yes even those at datacenters, have the ability to play the game and run personal applications, they just don't.

Oh, and don't say you're sorry. Because you said "I am sorry but...". When there's a 'but' involved, you're not truly sorry.

So cheers to you to, I hope the people with more money than I have enjoy your service.

EDIT: Any person can appear to have multiple players from the same IP be on one server at one time. I can go play on another server with all the computers in my house at once if I want, and they will all have the same IP.

Edited by UF Renegade LTG

I stream my servers, I also pay for them every month, in a dedicated DC. I also donate to the PBBans account, to keep this place running, and DONATE my time, to offer support. This is a non-profit anti-cheat site. None of the staff are paid. We also all pay for the servers we run, as do the clans that stream to us.

I do NOT appologize for that, btw, just point it out, as it's a fact. You can join the club, or do without. End of list.

So basically what you're saying is that in order for me to use this service I have to pay for it?!

Why should you care that I have "the ability to play from it and run personal applications". Which, by the way, I don't. Any server, yes even those at datacenters, have the ability to play the game and run personal applications, they just don't.

Oh, and don't say you're sorry. Because you said "I am sorry but...". When there's a 'but' involved, you're not truly sorry.

So cheers to you to, I hope the people with more money than I have enjoy your service.

EDIT: Any person can appear to have multiple players from the same IP be on one server at one time. I can go play on another server with all the computers in my house at once if I want, and they will all have the same IP.

Sorrow may be felt when one feels pity for someone else - it is not always remorse for wrong doing. I felt pity that you were suffering due to a policy of ours. I said it as I meant it sincerely. If you feel my sorrow was not sincere then that is up to you.

The policy has been explained to you and cost has nothing to do with it. As Roadwarrior has pointed out; everyone else here that streams has had to shell out for a server, some of us are able to afford it and other find it a struggle but they manage to do so as they wish to have a fair game.

If you feel you cannot afford to colocate at this time then perhaps you just need to build your clan up and once it is large enough clan contributions can pay for the server costs. Then you will be welcome to apply to stream.

In the mean time I dont see anything productive coming from further discussion and to avoid insulting anyone will close the topic.

@(*0*)@

Clan donations help. If you don't need a dedicated box, and only one server, or two, they can be had cheap enough, with a known GSP, such as Gameservers or MyInternetServices, just to name a couple. Both offer reasonable rates per-slot, depending on your location.

Here's the bad news for you.

Hosting a gaming server off your home-connection rarely affords enough band-width to allow more than a few players to connect, including you. Most home-connections will die after about 10 players connect, and pings will hit the roof. It's not your download speed that matters, it's your upload speed, as that's what a server requires. You can't get away with a 500MB upload speed, or even a 1GB upload speed. You need a lot more than that, and need to peered into main gate-ways for the internet, such as Internap, Savvis, and so on, to attain any sort of use-ability with a server.

There's the reason people co-locate, or host servers in a known DC, along with that minor little detail of, unlimited band-width, with a provider(read the fine-print) is generally limited to a certain amount they "assume" you will not use. Hosting a server will cost you more, hosting it at home, if you get it to be even reasonably busy, as a result of it.

Hosting it with a known GSP, will make things easier, and will provide you with what you want from us, at PBBans.

There's the facts. Thread closed.

Do not open another topic related to this issue, either get it sorted properly, or attempt to stream elsewhere.