Max packet problem

pot

Hello,

I have recently started a COD4 server for my clan to play on and Im still a bit of a noob. When we first started to use the server we were all kicked with the following warning "Cvar cl_maxpackets [=30] must EQUAL TO 100".

After rooting around on the internet, I found the answer to this problem, tilde/shift button on game main screen, typed in "cl_maxpackets 100"

That worked for me and others in my clan, but whenever other players join the server they get the same warning and kicked from the server after a couple of minutes.

Again after rooting around on the internet the problem appears to be with punkbuster. What do I need to do to resolve this problem?, after checking it appears the easiest solution is to insert the line "pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 30 100"?. If that is the solution where do I insert the line into, as I can't find pb.cfg file, or do I type it into the console box within the game?, can I add it via CoD Rcon? which I admin the server with.

Ive changed the setting on my pc back to 30 and played on other server, without issue.

Im totally lost and getting frustrated as I have lost 50 players with this problem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Edited by pot

There is probably a line saying pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 100 in either the server config or the pbsv.cfg or pbsvuser.cfg. The last two are located in the PB folder inside the game folder (usually anyway).

Remove that line or replace it with pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 30 100, restart PB (by using pb_sv_restart through rcon) or just restart the whole server and the kicks will stop.

FYI, a higher cl_maxpackets means that the client will send more packets to the server. Players with a fast internet connection should have it at 100, which is also the max.

~

/*Pisi*/

There is probably a line saying pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 100 in either the server config or the pbsv.cfg or pbsvuser.cfg. The last two are located in the PB folder inside the game folder (usually anyway).

Remove that line or replace it with pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 30 100, restart PB (by using pb_sv_restart through rcon) or just restart the whole server and the kicks will stop.

FYI, a higher cl_maxpackets means that the client will send more packets to the server. Players with a fast internet connection should have it at 100, which is also the max.

~

/*Pisi*/

Thanks for the info.

Ive checked the folder on my PC and I can't find the pbsv.cfg or pbsvuser.cfg files. On the ftp server the files are labelled .so, (pbag.so, pbags.so, pbcl.so, pbcls.so, pbsecsv.htm and pbsv.so).

Is there anyway to download generic / latest files I need from punkbuster (with the line included) and if so what folder would I put them in.

For the time being I have had to disable punkbuster on the server (not ideal) to stop it from kicking players.

Again your help would be appriciated.Thanks

Edited by pot

Brilliant, many thanks for that.

Now for the noob question, which folder do I put it in. I have my activision folder on H drive, does it make any difference that it's not C drive?, I also have 2 COD4 folders, ver 1.6 and 1.7, (allowing me to play on both multiplayer versions), although my E-Frag server is ver 1.7. I have checked my E-Frag ftp and it doesn't, resemble either versions folders. Last noob question how do I upload your pbsv.cfg file to the ftp.

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for the help

Put the file Roady uploaded into the server's pb folder(s) and either restart PB (by doing pb_sv_restart via rcon) or restart the whole server.

Last noob question how do I upload your pbsv.cfg file to the ftp.
Um... the same way you upload other kinds of files? Usually the ftp program let's you drag the file into the target window.

~

/*Pisi*/