instant kick off 2142

nhcarpenter

Hello all, and thank you for trying to keep our games fun and honest.

I just reinstalled 2142 on a laptop w/patch 1.5 full. Regaurdless of what server I try I'm kicked off within seconds of choosing a kit. My acount with EA appears to be in good standing (as it should be), and I have no problem with BFBC2 (though it's on a different machine).

Are there any particular background programs I should be looking to close, I'm running windows 7 (64 bit home premium).

I've certainly never chaeted so I doubt I'm actually banned.

If you've got any ideas, that would be great. If not, too bad for me. And sincerely thanxs again for all the good work- Brian F

going to need some more info in order to attempt to help you

alias and last eight characters of your GUID would be a good start

Hello HSMagnet and thanks for looking into this.

Aftre scrounging around your site a little I found one method of obtaining my GUID is to drilldown something like:C>users>"user">appdat>local>PunkBuster and come to find out I have no PB files. I checked my programs list in the controll pannel and got nothing. Verified in another machine (the one I use for BFBC2) that those file exist and low and behold there they are.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say thats my issue. I have "0" PB installed. So now do I need reinstall 2142 & the patch and see what portion of the download I missed or is there something I can get from this site directly.

I did run a couple searches on the dowloads page here but didn't come up with anything.

Incidentally when I do get kicked the message box is blanc except for the word Punkbuster and the O.K. button.

I'll gladly dig up that GUID if it'll be useful but I'm afraid I'm gonna need a little direction. I am new at all this, in fact until about a year and a half ago I was one of those guys, clinging ti his toolbelt waiting for "this computer thing to blow over", now I'm in it up to my eyebrows, haha on me.

thanks again Brian F - over

Have you updated PunkBuster?

And Thank you also piggy for trying to help. To answer your question NO, and please see my more in depth responce to HSMagnet for details.

Alas your efforts are not waisted, I will be scanning the Battlefield for "piggysan", who just earned massive quantities of covering fire, ala-BRAINZO

Create a folder on your desktop simply named pb in lower-case. Download the PbSetup.exe file and put it in your newly made pb folder. Then simply run it from that location, and you can add all of your pb-enabled games to it and update them all at one time, from one convenient location.

Also, since you're running Windows 7, make sure that when you're trying to run your games, that you right-click on the game's icon and select run as administrator. Some older games may need to be run in compatibility mode, recommending XP SP1 or SP2, since they work with pretty much everything.

Create a folder on your desktop simply named pb in lower-case. Download the PbSetup.exe file and put it in your newly made pb folder. Then simply run it from that location, and you can add all of your pb-enabled games to it and update them all at one time, from one convenient location.

Also, since you're running Windows 7, make sure that when you're trying to run your games, that you right-click on the game's icon and select run as administrator. Some older games may need to be run in compatibility mode, recommending XP SP1 or SP2, since they work with pretty much everything.

I'm doing it now, thanks, I'm let you know how it worked out.

And, RoadWarrior, I'm not trying to be overly smushy here but you and the rest of the team here deserve credit where it is due. Aside from taking my problem seriousely and getting back to me with understandable advise (very quickly) there was none of the "Durrr..........you nube..........Blah, Blah" attitude that causes new users to not want to learn.

Good work Brain F over

I'm doing it now, thanks, I'm let you know how it worked out.

And, RoadWarrior, I'm not trying to be overly smushy here but you and the rest of the team here deserve credit where it is due. Aside from taking my problem seriousely and getting back to me with understandable advise (very quickly) there was none of the "Durrr..........you nube..........Blah, Blah" attitude that causes new users to not want to learn.

Good work Brain F over

Arrghh! No-Go

Sucessfully installed PBsetup.exe (from RoadWarrior's link), in pb folder on desktop, added 2142 and updated. Got the update successful message w/"no further updates reqired". Ran E.A. Download Manager as Admin, As well as PB. Couldn't see how to grant admin rights specifically to 2142. \

Still trying, thanks all

O.K. by pinning 2142 to the start menu I could bring up the "run as admin " option but it had no effect.

Edited by nhcarpenter

Can you take a screen shot of the exact kick message you're getting, or simply type it here?

No screen shot, but it's the standard grey metalic 2142 message box. In the upper left hand corner in white, bold, all capital letters is the word "PUNKBUSTER" and in the lower righthand corner the standard "OK" button.

Thats it!

There's generally a specific kick/error message when punkbuster kicks.

Have you checked to make sure pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe are allowed to connect to the internet through your firewall? These two run as a service in Windows 7, Vista and XP. If your firewall is blocking either one, or both, you will get kicked constantly.

There's generally a specific kick/error message when punkbuster kicks.

Have you checked to make sure pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe are allowed to connect to the internet through your firewall? These two run as a service in Windows 7, Vista and XP. If your firewall is blocking either one, or both, you will get kicked constantly.

Ha! good call, right before the message window pops up, toward the bottom of the screen there is a message about "pnkbstrA resriction"

in my new "pb" desktop folder I can't drill down past setup.exe. I'm still not seeing PunkBuster in the main programs list (thru control panel), finding "pnkbstrA or B .exe" with a file search. or able to locate them by drilling down thru C>program file , or C>user, or C>program files (86x), etc.

Do I need to further install pbsetup.exe past accepting the user agreement?

So where might these files live so I can allow them thru the firewall?

And I did try to locate them thru the firewall allowance browser to no avail. Thanks Brian F

They're both listed in your services list. In control panel, find System Security, then click on Administrative Tools and select Services. Make sure both are set to Automatic. As for your firewall, you may have to sort through your "blocked" list or manually add both to it's allowed list. Since each firewall is different, you'll have to refer to your firewall's instruction set/help file for the "how-to".

If you're just using the built in Windows firewall, you can simply alter it's settings in the Control Panel.

They're both listed in your services list. In control panel, find System Security, then click on Administrative Tools and select Services. Make sure both are set to Automatic. As for your firewall, you may have to sort through your "blocked" list or manually add both to it's allowed list. Since each firewall is different, you'll have to refer to your firewall's instruction set/help file for the "how-to".

If you're just using the built in Windows firewall, you can simply alter it's settings in the Control Panel.

Last post on this for me, thank you all very much for participating in my little problem.

I got thru the firewall, got "A&B" taken care of then got a new error message regardless of server (tried about a dozen at random after the few regulars failed). New message is: "this server is for non-modified versions of 2142.................revert back to origional.........something, etc." I am running the version strait from EA games, with full 1.5 patch. Un & reinstalled a got same result. But really after much adue, I'm going to let it go. If I really must play the game I'll commandier my old lappie back from my daughter.

This has been an excellent learning opportunity for me.

But in truth the very little time I can devote to gaming, I'd like to spend playing. There's actually a couple new games in my machine that haven't been touched.

I will check in periodically, mabey I can help someone else. Thanks again Brian F

This is kinda like the problem i''m having, only its on BFBC2. I join a game and i don't get to even get out of the loading screen a box pops up and says "You have beeen kicked from the game. The reason is: Punkbuster kicked player 'Felandese' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Server Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe. i've tried everything you guys have said in this topic but none of it has prevailed so if you can help me please do

This is kinda like the problem i''m having, only its on BFBC2. I join a game and i don't get to even get out of the loading screen a box pops up and says "You have beeen kicked from the game. The reason is: Punkbuster kicked player 'Felandese' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Server Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe. i've tried everything you guys have said in this topic but none of it has prevailed so if you can help me please do

You should start your own thread, so we can monitor it and help you specifically. Make sure to go into your game folder(where the game is installed within Windows/C:Drive) and run the game's updater first, then update your pb, and make sure your firewall clears it.

Last post on this for me, thank you all very much for participating in my little problem.

I got thru the firewall, got "A&B" taken care of then got a new error message regardless of server (tried about a dozen at random after the few regulars failed). New message is: "this server is for non-modified versions of 2142.................revert back to origional.........something, etc." I am running the version strait from EA games, with full 1.5 patch. Un & reinstalled a got same result. But really after much adue, I'm going to let it go. If I really must play the game I'll commandier my old lappie back from my daughter.

This has been an excellent learning opportunity for me.

But in truth the very little time I can devote to gaming, I'd like to spend playing. There's actually a couple new games in my machine that haven't been touched.

I will check in periodically, mabey I can help someone else. Thanks again Brian F

I was having the same problem a while back. Basically it's the Full 1.5 patch, especially when trying to join a server that has a Nothern Strike (NS) map running, even though I have NS expansion. The full 1.5 patch is corrupt as far as I can tell.

The fix:

-Install the game

-Install 1.2 full patch

-Install Northern Strike (if you have it/this has to be installed before 1.4 patch)

-Install 1.4 full patch

-Install 1.4 - 1.5 incremental patch

Hopefully this helps. The patches can found with a quick google.

Also, save the patches to a folder in case you need to reinstall at a later date.

I was having the same problem a while back. Basically it's the Full 1.5 patch, especially when trying to join a server that has a Nothern Strike (NS) map running, even though I have NS expansion. The full 1.5 patch is corrupt as far as I can tell.

The fix:

-Install the game

-Install 1.2 full patch

-Install Northern Strike (if you have it/this has to be installed before 1.4 patch)

-Install 1.4 full patch

-Install 1.4 - 1.5 incremental patch

Hopefully this helps. The patches can found with a quick google.

Also, save the patches to a folder in case you need to reinstall at a later date.

Right on, I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks BF