Punkbuster - A few Questions

PhillyJoker

I've noticed that PB has yet to release an FAQ or guide for BC2 even though it's been out quite sometime. Which is horribly redundant since a lot of sites say, "For more information go check out evenbalance.com" It's sort of a pain in the butt, and since you guys seem far more in the loop I was wondering if anyone here could answer a few questions:

1) Will they ever implement a power points system? Obviously there is the ability to do so already, but it requires running an RCON program like BC2CC. I'm wondering if they'll ever make it just a PB thing.

2) Any easier way to adjust the server messages then with one of these tools? They're really awkward.

3) Any idea what the following files are being used for on the servers? These are the ones that gameservers.com let us see and edit:

pbsvuser.cfg is completely empty and is why i'm asking about power points.

custompb1.cfg you also get pb2 and pb3... Any ideas what these are used for? Just wondering...

Any information would be much appreciated!

1) Will they ever implement a power points system? Obviously there is the ability to do so already, but it requires running an RCON program like BC2CC. I'm wondering if they'll ever make it just a PB thing.

What makes you think they're not implemented like in every other game with PB? :D Their configuration goes into the PB configs (like pbsv.cfg). One can use chat as a console for PB client commands (e.g. /pb_rcon).

2) Any easier way to adjust the server messages then with one of these tools? They're really awkward.

Why is it PB's job to display messages? :) I very much doubt that the pb_sv_task command was initially created for this purpose, however, it can be used to display messages using server commands (admin.yell & admin.say). :D

Syntax: pb_sv_task a b command

a = time in seconds until first execution of command

b = time in seconds for executions after the first one

command = command to execute (e.g. admin.say lolwut)

(remember that BC2 requires PB commands to be prefixed with a punkBuster.pb_sv_command (e.g. punkBuster.pb_sv_command pb_sv_restart) when being used through rcon and not via a pb config)

3) Any idea what the following files are being used for on the servers? These are the ones that gameservers.com let us see and edit:

pbsvuser.cfg is completely empty and is why i'm asking about power points.

custompb1.cfg you also get pb2 and pb3... Any ideas what these are used for? Just wondering...

The files are availible to be edited because our MaydaX convinced DICE to allow RSP's to allow the editing of those files. pbsvuser.cfg is used (for example) by us to store anti-cheat MD5 checks. It's in a separate file from the settings in pbsv.cfg so its settings don't get overwritten by the pb_sv_writecfg command or by GSP's that like to replace the pbsv.cfg file with a default one every x hours/days (yes, some (used to?) do that).

The custompb#.cfg files I presume are allowed to be edited by gameservers so the admins have more files to store and have easy access to different configs. :)

~

/*Pisi*/

What makes you think they're not implemented like in every other game with PB? :D Their configuration goes into the PB configs (like pbsv.cfg). One can use chat as a console for PB client commands (e.g. /pb_rcon).

Ah neatO. Well then I guess the only other problem is adding users to the pbpower.cfg since I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Unless... I can just create the list in game the same way, ala cod4, adding the names manually in the console, which in turn manually creates the pbpower.cfg? I really haven't found any information on this... And I really have looked... So sorry if it seems like a lot of questions.

Why is it PB's job to display messages? :) I very much doubt that the pb_sv_task command was initially created for this purpose, however, it can be used to display messages using server commands (admin.yell & admin.say). :D

Syntax: pb_sv_task a b command

a = time in seconds until first execution of command

b = time in seconds for executions after the first one

command = command to execute (e.g. admin.say lolwut)

(remember that BC2 requires PB commands to be prefixed with a punkBuster.pb_sv_command (e.g. punkBuster.pb_sv_command pb_sv_restart) when being used through rcon and not via a pb config)

Ah, see I couldn't find the correct sytax anywhere. I can just throw the task commands in the pbsv.cfg? Or can I manually create a svrmsg.cfg file or something?

The files are availible to be edited because our MaydaX convinced DICE to allow RSP's to allow the editing of those files. pbsvuser.cfg is used (for example) by us to store anti-cheat MD5 checks. It's in a separate file from the settings in pbsv.cfg so its settings don't get overwritten by the pb_sv_writecfg command or by GSP's that like to replace the pbsv.cfg file with a default one every x hours/days (yes, some (used to?) do that).

The custompb#.cfg files I presume are allowed to be edited by gameservers so the admins have more files to store and have easy access to different configs. :)

~

/*Pisi*/

Go MaydaX :)

You've been really helpful, thanks a bundle.

Edited by PhillyJoker

Ah neatO. Well then I guess the only other problem is adding users to the pbpower.cfg since I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Unless... I can just create the list in game the same way, ala cod4, adding the names manually in the console, which in turn manually creates the pbpower.cfg? I really haven't found any information on this... And I really have looked... So sorry if it seems like a lot of questions.

I'm actually not very familiar with pb power. :P

If it works in CoD4 then it should technically work the same way in BC2.

"adding the names manually in the console"

Ah, see I couldn't find the correct sytax anywhere. I can just throw the task commands in the pbsv.cfg? Or can I manually create a svrmsg.cfg file or something?

Yeah, pbsv.cfg will work fine :D

(remember: without the punkBuster.pb_sv_command prefix in the config ;))

You've been really helpful, thanks a bundle.
You're very welcome :)

~

/*Pisi*/

PB Power is useless in BC2 because users cannot issue rcon commands in game.

Have you tried it?

PB client commands can be run through chat and /pb_rcon is a client command. Should work technically...

~

/*Pisi*/

Unfortunately there's no console. Commands are typically issued through an outside Rcon program, or with a plugin that monitors the chat messages for commands from certain players.

Edited by BOTA:X

PB Power is useless in BC2 because users cannot issue rcon commands in game.

Using /pb_rcon in chat does send it to the server. However admin. commands don't work but pb server commands should.

I'll have to experiment with that. It would be nice if you could get 10 people to do pb_kick to get rid of a blatant cheater if everyone has a pb_power of 1. Stupid DICE forgot the votekick.

Using /pb_rcon in chat does send it to the server. However admin. commands don't work but pb server commands should.

I thought that was because the PB server couldn't access any gameserver commands at all. Since they now work for pb_sv_task, wouldn't they also work for pb_rcon?

~

/*Pisi*/