Windows 8 Dropping DVD Playback

SuperTaz

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/windows-8-dropping-ability-play-dvds-171546904.html

According to Windows engineering team member Steven Sinofsky (emphasis his), "Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support.

Just one more reason to skip Windows 8 and stick with 7.

Microsoft needs understand that we desktop users use a mouse and keyboard. We don't smudge our touchless monitors with oily fingers. Nor do we want big colourful blocks of ugliness.

If you don't spend money to have the right equipment, you will not enjoy Windows 8. Raising our arms uses more energy than relaxed arms on a mouse and keyboard which is why this OS will fail. No one wants to spend more money to run a touch screen because consumers are cheap and/or poor, lazy and typically fat which is why this OS will fail. OEMs are worried because they will not be able to compete with added touch screens since it will raise the cost. And once again, consumers are cheap and/or poor.

Besides booting up a little faster and resuming from sleep mode a little faster, what improvements have been made in Windows 8 that will make all this overheard cost and umcomfort be worth it?

The good news is if Microsoft keeps this shit up and continues with the metro junk in Windows 9 and 10, people will skip those versions too and they'll be forced to extend support for 7 just as they did with XP.

Just one more reason to skip Windows 8 and stick with 7.

Microsoft needs understand that we desktop users use a mouse and keyboard. We don't smudge our touchless monitors with oily fingers. Nor do we want big colourful blocks of ugliness.

If you don't spend money to have the right equipment, you will not enjoy Windows 8. Raising our arms uses more energy than relaxed arms on a mouse and keyboard which is why this OS will fail. No one wants to spend more money to run a touch screen because consumers are cheap and/or poor, lazy and typically fat which is why this OS will fail. OEMs are worried because they will not be able to compete with added touch screens since it will raise the cost. And once again, consumers are cheap and/or poor.

Besides booting up a little faster and resuming from sleep mode a little faster, what improvements have been made in Windows 8 that will make all this overheard cost and umcomfort be worth it?

The good news is if Microsoft keeps this shit up and continues with the metro junk in Windows 9 and 10, people will skip those versions too and they'll be forced to extend support for 7 just as they did with XP.

One simple question. When was the last time you used a Windows PC to watch a DVD using Windows Media Player?

That is a simple question. The thing is, I haven't bought a DVD or blu-ray disc for about 4 years now because I prefer saving money by getting 1080p HD movies through torrenting (thepiratebay.se). So I'd have to say it's been about 4 years or so. If Microsoft is doing this because the norm now is to torrent movies and play them with a 3rd party application like Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player, they're on the right track to charge money from those die-hard fans of Microsoft software. But alas, I am just one person and I do not represent the entire consumer base, therefore what I do has virtually no relevance given why they cut Windows Media Player out of the picture other than to perhaps trim down the size of the DVD so everything fits with less bloat and/or increase profit margins. Or maybe they feel it is irrelevant given all the other free and paid choices out there.

I still use Windows Media Player, just not for DVDs since I prefer sharper images given my HD monitor. In fact, I used Windows Media Player about 30 minutes ago to watch an old TV show that I downloaded from TPB in .AVI format. WMP still has it's uses, yet it's relevancy does not exist.