Opinion ~ CoD4

UB_Dragon

Got a serious question here and I would like some input.

Got a member that is the typical dad/player, not much time to play.

Took along time to level up to 55.

His PC crashed and he had to reinstal his game. He was very upset and was ready to put CoD4 on the shelf for good because he did not have the time to level up. But was able to find a "rank mod" to get back to where he was before his hard drive crashed.

Now I have some calling this a hack/cheat but in my book a hack/cheat is all the things we see posted in the forums with screen shots/aim bots/cham skins etc.

This seems to be an issue with the game not storing the player rank on the master server some how. I thing BF2 and 2142 are like that correct me if I am wrong.

My PB admin is freaking out over this and I love him for it, he keeps the servers hack free, we have 47 bans on 8 servers that we are proud of. We try and keep our servers hack free.

Need some input.

Thanks......

Edited by UB_Dragon

First of all, there is no master server. All ranks are stored locally in a file called mpdata under:

%program files%\Activision\COD4\players\profiles\YourName\

I recommend you back yours up at regular intervals because stuff happens. Also, when you join a modded server it deletes all your saved classes and forces the default ones on you...and it's annoying remember what you had on each one! :D

As a gamer I don't like to see anyone get something they didn't earn, but honostly with ranks stored locally everyone's on the honor system and theres hardly a way to enforce it.

As a member of another team I would have no problem playing against this guy because, as I mentioned, all ranks are nullified by the DAMN and PAM4 mods.

This happened to me this past weekend. I was Lvl 55 and went to play with some clanmates. Got on the COD4 server and for some reason I was now only ranked 22 but all the challenges that I completed when I was rank 55 stayed. Of course I was mad as hell and did some quick searching for a viable solution and all I came up with was to start ranking up on my own all over again.

Now every time I rank up I copy my profile to my desktop and continue playing. Honestly I am sure I will feel good when I hit 55 again because this will be my second time at 55 x 2 = 110 :D

Sorry to say but the only legit way to rank up is to start playing all over again as I am doing.

Also, when you join a modded server it deletes all your saved classes and forces the default ones on you...and it's annoying remember what you had on each one! :D

Not quite true. It renames the classes to Default 1/2 etc, but the actual perks and weapons chosen stay the same. (Does on my server anyway).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Rank means nothing, just a few extra unlocks.

I don't personally get a ton of time to level up, but then again, that's not why I play the game. Once you've gained a few levels up, though, it's not hard to get them faster and faster.

If I play a few hours a week, it's not hard to gain at least 3-4 levels per session.

This happened to me this past weekend. I was Lvl 55 and went to play with some clanmates. Got on the COD4 server and for some reason I was now only ranked 22 but all the challenges that I completed when I was rank 55 stayed. Of course I was mad as hell and did some quick searching for a viable solution and all I came up with was to start ranking up on my own all over again.

Now every time I rank up I copy my profile to my desktop and continue playing. Honestly I am sure I will feel good when I hit 55 again because this will be my second time at 55 x 2 = 110 :D

Sorry to say but the only legit way to rank up is to start playing all over again as I am doing.

Same for me, merced a PCW with a team I have known for a while and after the match the rank was reset to lvl 22.

So now I am leveling up again, and I take thats as an challenge to get there again :D

This cant be compared with BF2 or ETQW (ors similar game systems) who have global ranking systems stored at their own databases. And thank god for that. if you read the EA - Rules of Conduct that is a totally different story. However it cant be called cheats in the term we are in this web site at all. This is PBBans and should stay that way as well.

Personally I mean ranking systems is the worst that have ever happened to FPS games.

hmm, I had the same thing happen to me twice about a week ago, I thought it had something to do with a demo viewing program I had used, fortunately I had recently reinstalled my PC and had my December 1st mpdata file on an old drive. Lost a month worth of challenges but still had 55

Also, when you join a modded server it deletes all your saved classes and forces the default ones on you...and it's annoying remember what you had on each one! :D

I never seen that yet. Only thing I noticed is my custom class names get reset from time to time but the actual class does not change but I have a config that restores the names.

seta customclass1 "G36C"

seta customclass2 "P90"

seta customclass3 "P90 LastMan "

seta customclass4 "G36C M203"

seta customclass5 "Sniper 50Cal"

I never seen that yet. Only thing I noticed is my custom class names get reset from time to time but the actual class does not change but I have a config that restores the names.

Ahh I see that now. I guess when the classes got renamed I just copied my backed up config in thinking they had been changed.

Actually the 1.1 or 1.2 patch fixed losing your rank when you went into a modded server.

As we all thought yes, but that don't seems to be the case actually.

Mine is resent and all after the 1.3 patch.

As we all thought yes, but that don't seems to be the case actually.

Mine is resent and all after the 1.3 patch.

That's why it's VERY important to keep a backup copy of your COD4 profile. Keep it on a separate PC if you have to.