Md5 Tool Mismatches

dP:Centrifuge!

I see alot of people outside of my clan w/ Md5 mismatches. I see this off and on and I have to know what it's all about. Sure, I have done some reading on this but, would like to get a solid reply about this infraction. Are my friends cheating ????????????????

Can switching from 2.55 to 2.60/2.60b then back etc cause this to happen to a player? It's funny but, sometimes the persons who do get that violation and return are NOT shooting as good as they were before they were removed from the game. That should be a red flag...right? Yeah, it could be a cheat but, I want to know how Md5 Tool violations happen before I tell myself or anyone else a lie.

I have made it a personal point to avoid playing people that I know have had Md5 Tool violations simply becuase I believe that it's cause for alarm (IMO). What things should I look for when seeing these people play?

Clear and defined info would be great about this.

If the violation is on the MBi, then the kick is for a cheat related file. The PBBans configs (see here) check for the existance of certain cheat related files.

Some servers also check the stock game files to ensure they haven't become corrupted. These are not cheat related.

If you have an example to post, then it can be clarified whether the kick is cheat related or not.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

Just to elaborate a little, an MD5 is a little calculation that gives files a (more or less) unique signature. PB has access to all files within the game directory and can check not just for files of a particular name but also their signature. This can help to find out if a game file has been altered/tampered with.

Most people will have the files et.exe and etded.exe (the dedicated server executable), and some servers do MD5 checks on those files. People switching between different versions of ET (2.55, 2.60 and 2.60b etc) will have different versions of et.exe, and sometimes just the one version of etded.exe (since they probably wont use it). Hence connecting to a server with multiple versions of the et executables (often renamed) may get the client kicked if PB finds a version of et.exe or etded.exe with the wrong MD5.

Long story short, dont worry about MD5 mismatches unless you see a violation turn up on the banlist.

Edited by mcsteve

Just to elaborate a little, an MD5 is a little calculation that gives files a (more or less) unique signature. PB has access to all files within the game directory and can check not just for files of a particular name but also their signature. This can help to find out if a game file has been altered/tampered with.

Most people will have the files et.exe and etded.exe (the dedicated server executable), and some servers do MD5 checks on those files. People switching between different versions of ET (2.55, 2.60 and 2.60b etc) will have different versions of et.exe, and sometimes just the one version of etded.exe (since they probably wont use it). Hence connecting to a server with multiple versions of the et executables (often renamed) may get the client kicked if PB finds a version of et.exe or etded.exe with the wrong MD5.

Long story short, dont worry about MD5 mismatches unless you see a violation turn up on the banlist.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling that somehow the 2.55/2.60/2.60b etc had something to do with it. Great info=====SAVED!