Config_mp modification

OSOK01

Hello PBBans. I am a player and server admin (irrelevant in this case) of call of duty 4. I play competitively in various COD4 ladders. I have noticed that the large majority of players are modifying the config_mp file. This is giving them better performance from their computers, registration times, Frames per second etc and it is considered acceptible conduct within these league etc.

Im currently doing research into modification of these. There is alot. I contacted evenbalance to find out which modifications were considered exploits/cheating. Their reply was that the "checks are not done by us, but by server admins. Several large communities have released those checks as well, such as pbbans.com or punksbusted.com." They have advised me to contact pbbans, punkbusted.com etc as they have releases of which modifications are considered exploits...as well as the administrators of the league I am in.

I have now contacted punkbusted and they have told me that "cvar checks are not banned here only kicked by server admins who wish to have the checks in place".

Going by this, if your response is something similar I feel I only have to then talk to the individual server admins and league/ladder adminstrators. If your response is similar, is there anyone I should check with, other then pbbans and punkbusted?

Stock game cvars will never be banned for. We do, however, have a recommended list in our Master Config Index. However, this is only accessible to server admins who stream their servers to us.

Again, stock cvar checks will NEVER result in a ban. It is up to each individual server admin if they want to ban players for tweaking their configs.

Basically, if a CVAR already exists and it lets you change it, you'll be fine. Some servers will kick if you change it outside of a certain range, for example /com_maxfps should be between 50 and 125 on many servers, but others allow any range.

A common check is to force LODSCALE to a certain value to keep people from disabling grass...but you can get kicked for that without even touching a CVAR. If you set all your graphic textures to low, you'll get a warning and then a kick if you fail to correct it.

If you want a list of what a server allows, open the full console (shift-tilde) and do a /pb_cvarlist

The only values you would be banned for are ones installed by cheat programs, so as long as you don't have any of those don't worry.

I have now contacted punkbusted and they have told me that "cvar checks are not banned here only kicked by server admins who wish to have the checks in place".

Little more progressive around here cvar for known cheats will get added. ;)

Most servers now had the draw_decals thing on PB so that my computer lags like hell now I play ...

I really didnt get an advantage out of have no decals on :-S

Most servers now had the draw_decals thing on PB so that my computer lags like hell now I play ...

I really didnt get an advantage out of have no decals on :-S

New video cards are so cheap for what you get now, theres no reason to suffer anymore. ;)