Server Message Timing Help

Hockster

I've browsed through the posts here on creating server messages via the PB files, though haven't found an answer to my question.

The timing of the messages doesn't coincide with what I have set up in the script. Do I have to have the same time increments between messages? Sometimes a message will appear 30 seconds or say later than what I have specified. Also, when the next map starts, the first message doesn't seem to appear. Server map time is set to 15 minutes. Here is my svrmsg file......

pb_sv_taskempty

pb_sv_TaskDel 1

pb_sv_TaskDel 2

pb_sv_TaskDel 3

pb_sv_TaskDel 4

//Task setup for PunkBuster

pb_sv_task 30 -1 "say ^2Welcome ^2to ^7<^2Westcoast^7> ^1Frag ^2Shack!"

pb_sv_task 34 -1 "say ^2Please ^2respect ^2the ^2other ^2players."

pB_sv_task 180 730 "say ^245 ^2kills ^2wins ^2the ^2map."

pb_sv_task 899 -1 "say ^2Thanks ^2for ^2stopping ^by ^2Westcoast ^1Frag ^2Shack! ^2Come ^2on ^2back!"

Any help is greatly appreciated!

First off you do not need the pb_sv_TaskDel command. pb_sv_taskempty will do that as well but all tasks.

This is how I would do it...

pb_sv_taskempty

pb_sv_task 30 150 "say ^2Welcome ^2to ^7<^2Westcoast^7> ^1Frag ^2Shack!"

pb_sv_task 60 150 "say ^2Please ^2respect ^2the ^2other ^2players."

pB_sv_task 90 150 "say ^245 ^2kills ^2wins ^2the ^2map."

pb_sv_task 120 150 "say ^2Thanks ^2for ^2stopping ^by ^2Westcoast ^1Frag ^2Shack! ^2Come ^2on ^2back!"

Edited by R1- FinePoints

Tidied up a bit - you don't need to put colourcodes before every word. :)

pb_sv_taskempty 

pb_sv_task 30 150 "say ^2Welcome to ^7<^2Westcoast^7> ^1Frag ^2Shack!" 
pb_sv_task 60 150 "say ^2Please respect the other players."
pB_sv_task 90 150 "say ^245 kills wins the map." 
pb_sv_task 120 150 "say ^2Thanks for stopping by Westcoast ^1Frag Shack! ^2Come on back!"

Thanks for the help. I'll delete those. I see that you've created the tasks with the same time increments. Is this why the message timing is off? For instance, the third task's second post time has displayed that message at 895 seconds, instead of the 730 seconds I set it at.

Just in case you weren't aware.

All messages will display in 30 second intervals over a 2 minute period.

The first line will display 30 seconds after PunkBuster starts.

The second line will displayer 60 seconds after Punkbuster starts.

This continues until last message is displayed. Once the last message is displayed, the list will start over.

Edited by Merlintime

First off you do not need the pb_sv_TaskDel command. pb_sv_taskempty will do that as well but all tasks.

This is how I would do it...

Thanks! I wasn't sure about that. Is it possible to generate the messages without the first word saying, 'console' ?

Just in case you weren't aware.

All messages will display in 30 second intervals over a 2 minute period.

The first line will display 30 seconds after PunkBuster starts.

The second line will displayer 60 seconds after Punkbuster starts.

This continues until last message is displayed. Once the last message is displayed, the list will start over.

Right now as it is set, the second message appears 4 seconds after the first. They don't repeat themselves during the round. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your comment.

When a new map starts, the Punkbuster server does re-initialize itself, in essence the clock starts over the new maps starts displaying the messages in the set increments?

Right now as it is set, the second message appears 4 seconds after the first. They don't repeat themselves during the round. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your comment.

When a new map starts, the Punkbuster server does re-initialize itself, in essence the clock starts over the new maps starts displaying the messages in the set increments?

I believe I'd figured this out. I had the impression that the message timing would be reset with every change of the map. As I've discovered, the timing process begins and continues as scheduled until the server is restarted.

I believe I'd figured this out. I had the impression that the message timing would be reset with every change of the map. As I've discovered, the timing process begins and continues as scheduled until the server is restarted.

You are correct, your scheduled task will always continue as long as PunkBuster is active on your server. It will just continue to loop your message unless you tell it to do it only once which you would replace the 150 with -1.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering how we got messages in our server

thanks for info

I do quite understand what you are saying. If you are saying how do you get the messages in your server its easy.

Eather put the lines above in your pbsv.cfg or make a new *name*.cfg and exec that cfg from the pbsv.cfg

This is what the exec line should look like in your pbsv.cfg

pb_sv_load *name*.cfg

""Replacing *name* with whatever the config name you made."

Edited by R1- FinePoints