Unknown Windows API function 131124

pseudo

a quote from PB staff member Stuart:

These API checks will be rolling out to all PB games, and like the Insuffecient OS Privs, will be subject to reoccuring lapses as trojans/virii/spyware make their rounds.

API Kick 131124:

Known cause: BF2Amp

Solution: Don't use it

Known cause: PowerStrip

Solution: Get the latest version. Old versions of PS cause this kick.

I do not know what this BF2Amp/PowerStrip is nor do i want it.

Fresh install of Windows 7 x64Build 7000 (ftw btw) not less then 8 hours ago

machine = intel quad core 4 gig ram crossfire 3870's

NO ISSUES

Installed Desert Combat (best game play yes indeed), patched yada yada yada

Updated PB with pbsetup v3.4 = ok

Tested PB with PunkBuster service setup v0.986 = ok

Changed shortcut to start only on core 0 (AFFINITY 1 btw) - done b4

Enter game, plays for a while then lags the holy moly's out of me (PB checking?) for 5 mins before a kick with the above error.

Windows 7 is still a beta and not officially supported by Evenbalance.

Some games with PB might work, but they will not add full compatibility until the final product is released.

sadly i expected a response along those lines but before i get blown off I would like to say the following.

How are beta's meant to make it to market when no one is prepared to make sure their application works BEFORE the release? You know the deal I am sure. Im testing and cant play because even balance and MS cant get together on this. This beta finishes in August, what logs do you require for debug?

sadly i expected a response along those lines but before i get blown off I would like to say the following.

How are beta's meant to make it to market when no one is prepared to make sure their application works BEFORE the release? You know the deal I am sure. Im testing and cant play because even balance and MS cant get together on this. This beta finishes in August, what logs do you require for debug?

We are not evenbalance, unfortunately - so nothing we can really do. They announced that they would not be supported Windows 7 until release.

As for supporting a beta OS, very few developers will do this for a piece of software that hooks into the system at such a low level. Windows 7 may yet undergo drastic kernel revisions, or have key APIs changed - that would immediately break new releases of Punkbuster. There is no cost effective way to support a beta OS with software like Punkbuster. So, they stick to supporting released and mainstream OS's until Windows 7 is in a state in which they can support it without fear of massive changes (which often happen in win betas) breaking their software at every turn.