No such thing as casual FPS gamers?

surfy

Assuming that only hardcore gamers play first-person shooter games is "naïve", Saber Interactive boss Matthew Karch has told CVG.

Speaking after controversial comments from Battlefield Play4Free boss Ben Cousens - in which he said EA had discovered "there is no such thing as a casual shooter fan" - the TimeShift and Inversion boss said he couldn't disagree more, and that Black Ops proves the theory wrong.

"I couldn't disagree more. I don't know the exact numbers of people that bought Black Ops, but you can't tell me all of those millions of consumers are 'hardcore' gamers," he said.

"I think that on the competitive multiplayer side there might be some truth to that, but that's only because there are so many good players out there among the 'core' audience that more casual players get killed in the first 30 seconds of the game and can't figure out what to do."

He added: "I am old enough to remember when games where on the periphery, when it was not considered mainstream entertainment. Now we outsell Hollywood, so things change.

"I remember the days of Wolfenstein, Blood and Doom when the shooter audiences were definitely core. Games like COD and Halo have changed things - more people have become exposed to the genre and more people are fans of it.

"There is definitely a market for FPS games among casual audiences. I think the real challenge is creating a game that reaches out to both casual and hardcore. But to say that there is no such thing as a casual FPS gamer is a bit naïve. We just need to make games that reach out to them.

"The problem is that once you do, you might create a bit of revulsion among the hardcore audience to whom some of the more casual guys look to for guidance. But if the price is low enough, then opinions don't matter as much and people will try it for themselves."

Saber's already gunning for a different market with XBLA, PSN and PC FPS Battle:LA, which can be picked up for as little as £6.49. Karch believes smaller, cheaper, digital FPS games are the way forward for the genre

"I think that on the competitive multiplayer side there might be some truth to that, but that's only because there are so many good players out there among the 'core' audience that more casual players get killed in the first 30 seconds of the game and can't figure out what to do."

I got a good suggestion for the casual gamer, try adapting instead of whining on a forum to the devs and the game gets nerfed to hell to make it easier for 'everyone'.

Casual gamers, **** me off.

• Upvote 2

I got a good suggestion for the casual gamer, try adapting instead of whining on a forum to the devs and the game gets nerfed to hell to make it easier for 'everyone'.

Casual gamers, **** me off.

totally stole that for twitter....

Yea, I downloaded the trial version for Battle LA and it was one of the worst FPS games that I have played. Although I do play Battlefield 2, BC2 (Xbox) and COD (Xbox), I tend to try harder in Battlefield because I have played that series longer then COD and tbh I don't consider myself pro or semi pro in COD anyways :-/