Visitor Received #81080 Ban

TheWhooosamo

A rather new visitor (Ace_King_Suited) to our ET server 207.210.238.3:27960 NHC Band of Brothers received this fairly strange PB kick/ban the other day. Attached is a copy of the kick screenshot he received, and on next post I will include a copy of his demo. I've watched the demo, and other than really annoying spawncamping Ace was doing, I don't see anything that would result in a PB Ban. Can you guys/gals take a look a offer up an opinion?

Many thanks!

[NHC] WhoooserDaddy

post-102822-1142516242.jpg

Edited by TheWhooosamo

I've never seen any message from "Punkbesiter"

If it was Punkbuster who kicked him and he thinks that there was no reason he should fill in a TroubleTicket

Yeah he has pursued that at our request, as we think he received a raw deal.

Here's Ace's demo from the game where he was kicked. If you watch it, drop into console and notice how many times another player was getting kicked for unpure .pk3 and also #81080 problems. Strange stuff. Did our server get hacked?

HOLD ON- sorry the demo is 1.6MB so I guess I can't upload it. Is there a way to upload bigger files here? Or should I post a link to our clan forum where the demo is right now?

I've never seen any message from "Punkbesiter"

If it was Punkbuster who kicked him and he thinks that there was no reason he should fill in a TroubleTicket

You didn't know you can change that?

PB_MsgPrefix [New Prefix]

Holds the text that PunkBuster displays in front of every output line displayed; the default is "^5PunkBuster Client" (note the ^5 means output in the color LIGHT BLUE); All PunkBuster Client output goes to both the top of the playing screen and to the console by default; To prevent PunkBuster Client messages from being displayed on the playing screen, insert the text [skipnotify] before any desired message prefix text. For example, the command pb_msgprefix [skipnotify]^5PunkBuster Client will cause all PunkBuster Client output to go only to the console and not to the playing screen.

looks like some admin has faked a kick/ban message and if this applies to just that server i would contact the server owner and give him all the info you have posted here, thats assuming you would want to play on a server were an admin has zero integrity :)

lol .. just noticed its your own server :P

anyone with rcon can produce that fake kick/ban message either while connected to the server or via a remote console (i.e. HLSW)

resolution: change the rcon pass and only the server owner/payee gets full rcon access :)

the ban of Ace_King_Suited can be found in your pb folder/pbbans.dat (complete with mispellings) :P

**edited**

anyone with rcon can produce that fake kick/ban message either while connected to the server or via a remote console (i.e. HLSW)

It would have the "Admin Decision" phrase if it was an admin kick. I don't think it's fake. It's just a changed message prefix.

It would have the "Admin Decision" phrase if it was an admin kick. I don't think it's fake. It's just a changed message prefix.

if thats the case then TheWhooosamo can look to see if its been changed in the pbsv.cfg

anyways ..as this was just a kick then the pb_sv_PowerKickLen setting would have determined the length of time said kick was for, so no harm done, except the mispelt kick message makes everyone think the server is run by a not so bright admin :P

It can be faked easily with etpro's lua script