Tripwire VP: Why would you stop people from modding your game?

MaydaX

Speaking to PCGamesN, Tripwire Vice President Alan Wilson said the exclusion of modding tools from accessible genres — most notably shooters — is a choice they “really can’t wrap our heads around.”

“Why would you stop people from modding your game?” he asked. “Why would you prevent people from being creative with your material? Just look what [DayZ has] done for everyone concerned, for example. Arma 2 has been on the top-ten sales charts on Steam for about the last four months solid because of what one of their employees did for fun in his spare time.”

Originally a team of spirited modders, Tripwire elevated to a full-fledged development studio after Red Orchestra took the grand prize in Epic’s first Make Something Unreal contest. The standalone followup, Red Orchestra 2, gets its first expansion later this year.

“Frankly, we can see zero downsides to allowing people tools and letting them mod a game,” Wilson added. “I never understand why companies effectively block people from doing that stuff.”

Meanwhile, DICE recently reiterated that the closed environment it has established in Battlefield 3 should remain that way, warning players not to use a mod which affects the game’s color saturation.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/08/tripwire-modding/

This is one reason I continue to support Tripwire. I was not all that impressed with the new version of RO but played tons in the first version. Killing Floor is another that I get a lot of play from and all have involved custom content. I cannot speak of the color modification for BF3 because I don't use it. I can see the point though, its user side modification and not server controlled. I even played a lot of custom content in the COD series as mush as those games annoy me, not so much the game but the players and their attitudes. Sadly its not the games causing that. Have not gotten into the Day-Z much but I will keep on messing with it. It all seems to come back to those in the PC community putting forth effort to make everyones experiences better. It seems thats getting harder to find.

• Upvote 2

Kalms was on the forum earlier today so we could inform him about this.

It wouldn't do any good because he doesn't control stuff like that. We would have to show it to the EA/DICE brass (CEO, COO, etc) and they would make the decision.

This is one reason I continue to support Tripwire. ...

killing floor was about the best game money i ever spent.

i had a blast in the ro2 closed beta as well

tripwire will gets my support because they support the community

• Upvote 1

I think it's obvious why they stop people from modding, because some of the modders can do a better job than the devs and for free.

With the amount of DLC that's getting released nowadays devs have one other area they can milk, cut out the modders and release little additions to the game that people will pay for, you want a new weapon? £10, you want a new map? £15 and that will continue until people say enough is enough!

I like Tripwire as Killing Floor is my top played game, they release content that doesn't affect the gameplay at all and keep it optional but they also release free maps, weapons, etc.

I think it's obvious why they stop people from modding, because some of the modders can do a better job than the devs and for free.

With the amount of DLC that's getting released nowadays devs have one other area they can milk, cut out the modders and release little additions to the game that people will pay for, you want a new weapon? £10, you want a new map? £15 and that will continue until people say enough is enough!

I like Tripwire as Killing Floor is my top played game, they release content that doesn't affect the gameplay at all and keep it optional but they also release free maps, weapons, etc.

A great example of this, I think, would be the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2.For those that never played it, its pretty much a complete rework of the game :

All custom maps

All custom kits (including a "kit allotment" system, you had to apply for the kit you wanted and wait until you were granted it)

Because it was a mod it could only be played on an unranked server...not a problem, they adapted the BF2 ranking system for themselves so you could have PR stats in addition to your regular BF2 stats on your own standalone stats server.

Which is where the problem I see with modding comes in...how far do you let it go. ?

Because not long after I discovered it I came across an announcement of sorts....someone had figured out how to tweek the server files for PR so that your stats could included into your ranked BF2 stats, all it took was changing 2 or 3 details.

Not long after that PR was announced as an "official" BF2 mod (which I took to understand as EA alowing the PR stats to be included as actual stats...although I could be wrong).