Detecting cheaters

Troy645

Greetings. If this is in the wrong subforum, my apologies.

Before I start, the game I am particularly referring to is Battlefield 3.

I, as many of you fine gentlemen (and ladies I'm sure) are fond of, have one thing in common- Keeping cheaters out of the server and keeping the overall morale of the server atmosphere high- cheat free and drama free, am I right?

As I have delved into this topic more and more, I seem to be coming up with next to nothing in regards to detecting users in-game using third party software to be "better" than everyone else. If you are still scratching your head, I am talking about hacks.

As for PBBans, Punkbuster, and other third party detection software and tools, I am curious as to what one can do on their own private server to go about detecting some of the more harder hacks, such as aimbot, for example. I can quite easily ban someone for one-shotting on a vanilla server, as that is easy to detect and get evidence for. Although when it comes to wall hacks and aimbots, I would like more insight as to detecting and gathering evidence, as no third party software is perfect. We get "hackusations"on our server, with which I try my best to seek out said user and try to gather evidence to see if said user is using third party software, but I am having trouble with that lately.

My question to you guys, in regards to BF3, is: Is there any tips, guides or software (certain things to look for in regards to certain hacks, etc), in which I can efficiently detect third party software?

Regards,

Troy

Edited by Troy645

First, you should sign up here. Get your server streaming. Then implement the MD5 Scans, and turn on PBSS.

A violation triggered on a non streaming server doesn't help anyone, unless it's a global ban issued from EB themselves. (Which they are doing more of these days :D).

Apart from those important steps above, which are your best course of action. Just continue doing what you're doing. There are procon plugins available, that'll use statistics engines to help indicate if a player is cheating, but you should be very weary of systems that promote themselves as "Anticheat" when they are only based off of stats.

• Upvote 1

I will look into getting PBBans implemented after further discussion with my administration.

I was hoping for more responses not related to PBBans or of this "violation trigger" you speak of. Not all hacks are detectable, and I am trying to detect the ones that PBBans, and others, do not detect. I am trying to figure out exactly what to look for, behaviors, etc. in regards to aimbot, no spread, recoil, etc. . .make sense?

Regards,

Troy

All hacks are detectable ;) It's just a case of when they become detected.

Screenshots will often help catch hackers who are using those amazing "undetectable hacks" ;) Anti cheat is about a bit of patience.

It's a cat and mouse game. There will never be a time when all hacks are detectable, nor a time when all hacks are going undetected. Evenbalance is solely responsible for detecting cheaters.

While you should never test cheats, they can be submitted to EvenBalance themselves at [email protected], so new detections can be made. Likewise, you can do the same here at PBBans, http://www.pbbans.com/cheat-file-submission.html

You stick around long enough, and you'll see those "undetectable" cheats detected. It's just marketing, who'll buy their cheats if they advertise otherwise?

But really, streaming to an Anticheat community PBBans or otherwise is the first and best course of action to anybody serious about catching cheaters.

• Upvote 1

It seems counter-intuitive to suggest not to test cheats, yet you should submit them to evenbalance, thus requiring you to actually use the hack itself? Just poking fun :P

Anyways, it seems the only suggestions I see here are to use third-party software, such as PBBans, and other detectable software. I believe we are currently using PBBans, although I would rather not use anything else as I am afraid it may cause server lag. More plugins = more chance for lags and crashes.

So, other than PBBans and other similar software, there is nothing you guys can recommend in regards to detecting cheats? In regards to gun movements, player actions, in-game "triggers" so to speak. . .

Regards,

Troy

It seems counter-intuitive to suggest not to test cheats, yet you should submit them to evenbalance, thus requiring you to actually use the hack itself? Just poking fun :P Anyways, it seems the only suggestions I see here are to use third-party software, such as PBBans, and other detectable software. I believe we are currently using PBBans, although I would rather not use anything else as I am afraid it may cause server lag. More plugins = more chance for lags and crashes. So, other than PBBans and other similar software, there is nothing you guys can recommend in regards to detecting cheats? In regards to gun movements, player actions, in-game "triggers" so to speak. . . Regards, Troy

You don't need to play on a game server to submit files to EvenBalance. Also you're not listed as a streaming admin here. So unless you have another admin here who has set everything up, it does not look like you are streaming. Easiest way is to just throw your serverip:port in http://www.pbbans.com/msi.php

That'll tell you if your server is streaming.