Someone set me strait on taking PBSS's

Thompsonguner

Hi my playername is morbid_Thompsongunner

I'm a member of morbidclan (www.morbidclan.org.uk, 85.133.16.50:16567).

No one in my clan knows how to take or retrive PBSS's so I took it upon myself to find out.

So far I have only managed to get and save SS's of myself. What do I need to do or what am I doing wrong. Sorry but this thing is just not soldier proof wink.gif I'm Army I need it simple. You know like "Go take Hill!!"

The SS's I have managed to take (via pb_getss) are stored in my PB SS folder (on my PC) .

I have tryed it with "pb_sv_getss" while signed on to the server as admin (rcon logon PW) and I did the "rcon exec pb_sv_enable" thing (thinking that might be needed for the "pb_sv_getss" to work as it is an sv line), but its not responding.

So far I gather that SS's are supposedly taken automatically and stored on the server until the set max is reached and they are overwritten.

So our Clan Admin should be able to retrive them from the server, correct?

Is there anything special that he would need to know in order to do that?

Is it possible to have PB get SS's of one or more players (other then yourself) and have them sent to your PC intead of to the server?

Should I not have at least gotten a message that SS's have been taken of all players after "pb_sv_getss" regardless if they have been saved on the server or my PC?

Could something be wrong with the way our server is set up?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

PS. No we are not currently streaming, but I'm in the process of getting our Clan Leader to sign on.

You need file access to the server's PB folder namely the svss directory in order to get PBSS taken by they server. Some game panels allow this.

No you can not have another players SS sent to your PC.

Due to a design flaw PB commands do not echo back to the rcon client that sent the command.

Thanks MaydaX,

short and simple so even I can understand.

So when I was loggen on as admin the "pb_sv_getss" should have worked and all that is missing is to find out how we can access the server's PB folder right?

Thanks

TG

Thanks again,

kind of feel like an idiot now that I find out it was this simple. I'll let my guys know that we need to get on the FTP access to the server thing. More then likely we have it but never used it.

So just to get the thing strait (maybe even for the benefit of others like me :blink: )

-PB is set up to take 100 SS's (default) stored on the game server and they will be owerwritten once the max is reached

to manually take an SS of one (via slot #) or all

-One must be logged to rcon on as admin

-enter pb_sv_getss (with slot # for one, without for all and the SS's are taken without confimation)

-to retrive the SS's one must have FTP access to the game server.

In order to be able to forward SS's of cheaters to pbbans the server must be streaming.

Did I forget anything?

TG

Edited by Thompsonguner

pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 60 // [Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 // [Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSs 1 // [0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]

You will find these settings in your pbsv.cfg but yes, you need ftp access someone must have it surley, probably the person that pays for your server :o :)

• 3 weeks later...

Suprised if no one has ftp access or didnt know about :unsure:

The reason we had trubble with getting the SS's was that our server does not allow direct FTP (they say its not allowed on a ranked server!?) we have to DL the server logs (zipped) the next day and in that we also get the SS's. Kind of a pain to have to wait until the next morning but we can live with that.

I have another question though. What setting is needed to get an SS of the entire screen? Right now it only takes an SS of the center of the screen (basicly around the crosshair).

Thanks

Edited by Thompsonguner

(they say its not allowed on a ranked server!?)

I have ftp acces to my ranked server

Right now it only takes an SS of the center of the screen (basicly around the crosshair)

I do not recomend this as its possible you wont see what is what in the screen

But if you still want to this is what you change

example:

pb_sv_SsWidth 800 //[Requested pixel width of remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsHeight 600 //[Requested pixel height of remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsSrate 2 //[sample Rate for remote screenshots]

example:

Thanks will give that a try. We'll see tomorow how they turn out.

Don't understand why game2xs does not allow direct access to the pb/ss folder but like I said we are happy that we get them at all. Right now its just a matter of getting the screen shot settings right.

Again thanks

example:

Have just DL'ed yesterdays SS's. We're now getting them slightly bigger (they include a little less then the bottom left corner of the mini map). All SS's say "Attempted w=800 x h=600 at (x=50%, y=50%), Resulting w=328 x h=246 sample=2.

Any ideas why it is still not taking them like we set it up. Looks to me like the size its actually taking them is almost what we want, a SS of the entire screen with the mini map.

Thanks

How do you calculate the pixel size a screen shot will have with the different sample rates applied?

It says in the PB manual the max limit for an SS is 82000 pixels.

640*480=307200 is it divided by 4 (for sample rate 4), 8 or 16?

It says for a sample rate of 4 the image file size is reduced to about 1/16.

What would be the correct setting to capture the largest portion of screen without exceeding the 82000 pixels and still being able to spot things like the mini map and wall hacks be?

Thanks

From evenbalance.com

PB_SV_SSWIDTH and PB_SV_SSHEIGHT are used to request a specific size image in pixels. The default is 320 x 240. If a size is requested that is larger than the actual resolution on a player's system, then PB will automatically reduce the appropriate parameter to match the size of the resolution. For example, if a screenshot of 800x600 resolution is requested from a player running the game in 640x480 resolution, then PB will take the image at 640x480 resolution automatically.

PB_SV_SSSRATE sets the sample rate for the capture. The Sample Rate can be set to take less pixels from a larger area of the screen to, in effect, compact a larger picture into a smaller size by simply skipping pixels. Sample Rates of 1, 2 and 4 are available. Using a Sample Rate of 2 will reduce image file sizes to about one fourth of normal (Sample Rate 1) and using 4 will reduce to about one sixteenth. The reduction in file size does affect the clarity of the image. It is always best to use Sample Rate of 1 unless you desire to capture large portions of the playing screen and don't mind losing some clarity in the resulting image. Even with the 82,000 pixel limit, it is possible to capture images at 1280x1024 using a sample rate of 4 for the relatively few players who play in very high resolutions.

Test the diff setings and iam sure you will find a pbss that you think is ok

I'm currently testing out the different settings, but as I have to wait until the next day to download the server log files its a bit of a pain. Hence my question if anyone can tell me how to calculate the pixel size with the various sample rates applied.

resolution / sample rate or resolution / (sample rate * x)

or (w resolution / sample rate) * (h resolution / sample rate)

looking at it now I think the last one seems the most likely, but school was 18 years ago so... :blink:

Again thanks

While I would still like to know how the calculation is done, I have settled for looking at posted screen shots to see what worked for others. Adjusting the x and y % looks like the answer to what we are looking for in a screen shot.

So for the benefit of others like me (this thread did get a few hits after all) here are the settings we will settle on for now:

pb_sv_autoss 1

pb_sv_sshight 410

pb_sv_ssrate 2

pb_sv_sswidth 800

pb_sv_ssxpct 80

pb_sv_ssypct 20

Thanks to all who took the time to help out an old noob. Keep up the good work.