blacked out screenshots

slow coach

Can you guys tell us why some players do not produce a screenshot as per normal but just a black screen with text at the bottom, if you need a pic i can post one if needed

ignore them, you waste your time. Stickies (SGA only), Same with pub. access, random example for teh banhappy nubs

10% up to 50% black ss are normal (and have always been since there is a PunkBuster, i still have a 100% clean rctw-linux+Ati client...) depends on: game & serverside pbss-settings & client-server connection quality & ... various reasons, pointless to ask/wonder/guess really which, positive proof for a hack is the keyword. To reduce the black rate try to tweak your pb_sv ss settings HowTo, rule of thumb: less is more, best chance to get maximum black ss is to request as much as possible ;p

pbss are overrated, less than 10% bans in most games, and don't forget hacking into pb will return global bans ... with 5ct patience

I've had many returning black screen shots. All of them so far were running vista, I requested that they turn off their anti-aliasing and all of them then returned proper screenshots.

Edited by Busterking

so what your saying is not to worry about them its not some hack preventing a ss being taken?

part 1 yes, part two: yesterday i spotted a thief in my street stealing a car, i only saw his head as he drove away, he wore a black baseball cap. Today i sit at my window, shooting everyone with a black baseball cap ;p

luckily for me i locked my car and the alarm detered him from stealing it plus the fact the cars 5 feet away from my front door and the dog sits guard on the door mat i would of known and let the dog out B)

so what your saying is not to worry about them its not some hack preventing a ss being taken?

Think he is saying there is no way to prove one way or another if it's an hack or legit.. Just ban them on your server with the kick message saying "fix your screenshot then appeal the ban" Nothing more you can do really

Think he is saying there is no way to prove one way or another if it's an hack or legit.. Just ban them on your server with the kick message saying "fix your screenshot then appeal the ban" Nothing more you can do really

Uhmmm thats dumb. I've tried everything to fix my own screenshots without luck, so now am I expected to get banned from every "nub" server admin because of running Vista?

Just face it, no matter how ridiculously awesome we may think we are in COD4, there is always a player (legit) that is totally gonna kick everyones ass. Meaning, there is always someone better, or someone who is having a good night, or just is in the right spot at the right time. Just because someone is kicking ur ass and returns a black ss is no reason even for a local ban.

Uhmmm thats dumb. I've tried everything to fix my own screenshots without luck, so now am I expected to get banned from every "nub" server admin because of running Vista?

Just face it, no matter how ridiculously awesome we may think we are in COD4, there is always a player (legit) that is totally gonna kick everyones ass. Meaning, there is always someone better, or someone who is having a good night, or just is in the right spot at the right time. Just because someone is kicking ur ass and returns a black ss is no reason even for a local ban.

try turning off aa in your graphics settings. That worked for me. Now I never get black ss's on vista.

try turning off aa in your graphics settings. That worked for me. Now I never get black ss's on vista.

Done that and clamped negative lod, also have been through to many drivers to list.

Edited by pwf_skabby

Ummm, it' was just an suggestion, I for one don't give a damn about black screenshots. And would not kick/ban players for returning them. As I said in my post "there is no way to prove one way or another if it's an hack or legit". I certainly didn't mean ban everyone that returns them ;/

So kick/ban at your own discretion.

What do I have to say...

I played 4 hours on my own server and when checking the SS's all my ss's returning error'd or mostly blacked out.

Yet, there's a 10 seconds delay been set serverside to capture.

I dont have Vista and my drivers are... euhm... a month if not older old?!??

Even in my pbcl.log there's nothing mentioned of screenshots but plenty of MD5's and CVAR's are listed.

Ofcourse, it seems like that not everybody is takings SS's.

Anyway, it also has to do with client side firewall/NAT/UPnP settings. I'm behind NAT and only releasing the ports that I really need. As long PB doesnt enforce their ports I aint going to check which ports they're using.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 8600M GS, with Vista.

I had some problems with black screenshots until I turned AA to off.

However, I just found that even tho it worked on a few servers to turn AA off, some servers make me turn out black screenshots...

I've tried different drivers, different resolutions, video settings, and so on... It just seems that different servers give different results...wich is weird....

I am having the same problem on our server, but I have noticed somthing: Some pbss show up just black with all the normal captured info at the bottom of the pbss and I have had several peoples pbss come back like these, could be the AA problem. BUT....I have one person whos pbss always comes back BLACK, but has the following at the bottom: Screen Capture Failed. Can anyone please tell me the difference????Seems like a black pbss with all the normal data at the bottom could just be AA,driver,nvidia,Vista,lag/timeout,or desktop minimize problems, but does anyone know what causes it to say Screen Capture Failed. The person in question I know is not using Vista. And we have had this problem with him on a couple different games and on his old and new PC, he is not aware of us investigating him. Any info or help on this would be great!

Had one guy come onto our server, I normally take a screen shot of all new players joining server. Via COD4 RCON commander pro, because you can also view your screenshot, without retrieving via FTP. He produced a black screen shot, took about ten more whilst he was on the server all the same. however he didn't respond to questions via console if he was running Vista OS. Only reason he wasn't locally banned because he sucked, if he was top scorer all the time then maybe. But if PBSS fails a demo is good also.

Edited by Britisches_FreiKorps

Only reason he wasn't locally banned because he sucked, if he was top scorer all the time then maybe.

I wouldn't recommend banning for black screenshots at all. Most of the time it will not be a hack or PBSS blocker.

I was having the same problem with Black SSs. Disabled anti-aliasing ingame, but it didn't make a difference.... until... I choose a different profile, then went back to the profile that I had disabled anti-aliasing ... bingo, now I have perfect screen shots on my Vista Machine.

Just thought I'd share ... :D

Gotta agree that right now banning for black ss is a bad idea.

Sure, if you were making a ss blocker having a black ss would be the way to go as there is a legitimate problem. But thats just it, there is a legitimate problem and it's one we just have to accept until it is resolved.

Asking random public players to fix there ss is not going to work. For one alot of people struggle to even update video drivers let alone troubleshoot a screenshot they probably don't even know exists. And even if they do alot of people, myself included, can't get a good ss on vista anyway.

Banning these people will only propogate the stereotype of "power trip" admin and does not reflect well at all on your server. If you are really having problems with someone with a black ss please get a demo, spectate, or at least something else before banning.

Well, thats my thought for the day :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

It realy does blow!!! BUT! it is also well known in public hack places too and they exploit this. If there not doing "GOD" like things say 800 kills 2 deaths we lets them stay and inform them of the problem.