Are we winning the battle vs Haxors?

-JarHead-

Dont take this wrong because i am all about anti-cheat. I dont even go to any other servers but mine because i know there wont be anything fishy going on there. I have been PC gaming for quite a long time. I am now into cod-5 and run 2 servers, stream to pbbans of course. I joined pbbans back when it dispanded off from punksbusted, in 2003.

I dont understand a lot about cheats, aimbots & wallhacks as far as how they work or the files that are manipulated. With that being said, i am seriously wondering if we are indeed winning this battle against the gamers who insist on cheating. My concerns are this with cod-5.

Why do the PB screen shots all come back (98%) with unknown soldier instead of the players name?

Why does it seem all Vista users screen shots come back as a black screen?

I have had over 10,000 different players on my servers yet have only busted 3 players via pbbans streaming. I know this isnt a accurate percentage of the # of cheaters i have had on my server.

I would estimate the ratio of cheaters would be at least 1 out of every 100 but that is being very modest. How is it i can watch aimbotters come and play round after round in my server without being busted?

How is it possible for a obvious cheater to have every one of his screen caps come back clean? I am talking obvious botters, not a good player.

I am not a tech guy and like i said, i have no idea how all of this works, from cvar checks to md5tool scans. It must be harder then i can imagine to actualy bust a cheater because i would have expected to catch a heck of a lot more then what i have. Is it all working or do the cheaters have the upper hand?

It is an ongoing battle, and there hardly is any winning/losing involved imo.

Hackers make cheats -> Punkbuster detects them -> Hackers make cheats -> Punkbuster detects them.

It's an endless circle :(

The struggle against online cheats is a perpetual reactionary battle. It's unfortunate but a reality.

Keeping your server up to date with the lastest CVAR/MD5 checks while streaming to PBBans will help. Hopefully Treyarch will soon add the ability to record demos.

The PBSSs in COD5 having 'Unknown Soldier' is a known issue. I believe it has to do with the game developer and how the name is stored.

Why do the PB screen shots all come back (98%) with unknown soldier instead of the players name?

COD5 uses a different name system than cod4 and the cvar for names in the config is defaulted to unknown soldier.. Players can change this if they choose but most dont

Why does it seem all Vista users screen shots come back as a black screen?

not all but obviously a large enough number.. I think everyone just blaims it on vista when it can sometimes be fixed with anti aliasing or av program

I would estimate the ratio of cheaters would be at least 1 out of every 100 but that is being very modest. How is it i can watch aimbotters come and play round after round in my server without being busted?

punkbuster doesnt buy cheats and anti cheat is about reaction... hence you have it happen alot. Until the record function is released in game there is nothing we can do

How is it possible for a obvious cheater to have every one of his screen caps come back clean? I am talking obvious botters, not a good player.

cheats are coded to do just that...

A lot of "new cheats" do not use cvars and md5 scans only help when the cheat file is inside the game folder.

-Dan