What is considered a hack?

Shadow Killah*

I am Shadow Killah* on Wolf ET, I been gaming on ET since 2007, and since 2003 on other PB Enbled FPS games.

For the past 2 months, I been addicted to making Wolf ET configs so I can play better and learn new things. I happened to browse this site to check my GUID and IP from PB out of curiousity since I got a new labtop and I travel a lot so I'm always on different networks. I came on the forums and saw hack related discussions, and a friend of mine mentioned hacks inside a config. Now I am very curious as to what is exactly considered a hack on a Wolf ET config. I don't want to have an accident since I'm getting very advanced in my new knowledge/hobby. I'll upload my config files happily if requested. I'm constantly updating them until they are just right, or just making them for random reasons.

My configs include customized binds, scripts, and settings for the game to exec. I am aware that some scripts don't fully work, and some of my settings for the game are considered cheats such as "set wolfparticles 0" as my console declares, no biggy so far other than the game switching setting 0 to 1 "safe" on PB Servers. My scripts are basically simple Grenade Scripting that allows me to warn people that I throw a grenade, auto reload for SMG + Pistols (still workin on that...), Auto Run when I +attack with SMG / pistol (working on that...), and that sort. My settings I am still working on, but they basically control the game with my customized presets, which I have no guidelines to follow other than my experimenting and the default config until I find the perfect setting for my gameplay.

Is there a guide I can go off of so I don't enrage PB in my tweaking abilities? So far there hasn't been a major issue, and I plan to keep it that way.

Issues arising from downloading others players config occur when those configs contain binds and CVARs from cheats. I.e. "xyz_aimkey = 1" etc.

Any tweaks / binds / CVARs etc that don't come from cheats / hacks will not cause an issue.

So basically a cheat on a config is obtained from a cheat CVAR which includes aimbots, wallhacks, etc. Got that. How can I tell the difference from great scripts/binds/tweaks from the cheats? My reason > I DL other configs of players, saving to a folder on My Desktop so I can look through them for ideas and troubleshooting my own config failures. I do c&p pieces of configs and modify them to work the way I want.

What about settings? I play at 95 FOV (example) and I want to change it to the absolute max. Would this normal setting be considered a hack at a particular range? Same goes for other settings that you can "seta" or "set".

Do a little reading on the game at www.evenbalance.com

Player-side options and admin-side options might enlighten you a bit.

One word of advice, as someone who still plays that old game sometimes, do not, ever, trust downloaded configs for any reason.

Over the years, and I've played it since it's inception in 2002, I have looked at configs, tested some settings, anything questionable, I've never included. I learned a lot more, coming here, and becoming a streaming member. Thankfully, I was wary enough to never attempt to use something that had a cheat-related cvar in it. Working as staff, I can tell you, you will get banned sure and simple, if caught.

What about settings? I play at 95 FOV (example) and I want to change it to the absolute max. Would this normal setting be considered a hack at a particular range? Same goes for other settings that you can "seta" or "set".

As stated, all stock CVARs included in the game are not cheats. Cheat CVARs are those used by cheats (e.g. xyz_aim 1 etc).