Suggestion to PB.

blackop2

Ban people at certain time. Keep record/list of people who have been cheating through the day and ban them all at certain time. That way the cheaters who check the forums everyday to see the status of the hack will feel like it's safe to cheat without knowing if they will or will not get banned. You could also randomize the times of this ban wave.

What do you think?

/Discuss.

Well first of all, PBBans is not PB. Evenbalance is the creator of punkbuster. We just take their detections and put it into a ban list.

Second, whether you know it or not, what you suggested above already happens to some extent with silent detections by evenbalance (hence why some cheat violations get 100+ bans in a day).

Well first of all, PBBans is not PB. Evenbalance is the creator of punkbuster. We just take their detections and put it into a ban list.

Second, whether you know it or not, what you suggested above already happens to some extent with silent detections by evenbalance (hence why some cheat violations get 100+ bans in a day).

Thanks for clearing up. I didn't know it did happen "to some extent" since I basically always see live bans in BC2 for example. What I meant was, letting the cheaters cheat for the day/days and then ban them all at the same time. That way people who try not to get caught by checking the hack status, etc... will get caught.

IMHO it makes a huge impact if you allow people to cheat for a few days and then blanket ban them. If you detect a violation you might as well have them banned straight away, rather than letting players endure gaming sessions with cheaters.

What's the point in delaying what's going to happen anyway? and if you adopt the instant banning method it allows you to determine if new releases of cheat files have been made.

This is why people don't like VAC.

IMHO it makes a huge impact if you allow people to cheat for a few days and then blanket ban them. If you detect a violation you might as well have them banned straight away, rather than letting players endure gaming sessions with cheaters.

What's the point in delaying what's going to happen anyway? and if you adopt the instant banning method it allows you to determine if new releases of cheat files have been made.

This is why people don't like VAC.

It might make a big impact but you will also catch more people which in the end will benefit more the game. I doubt many people re buy the game after they get banned; there are many cheaters who never get caught because they take precautions and are always up to date with the newest hack or the hack they think is still undetected.

In a game like BC2 where there aren't many cheaters atm, I don't think it would make a huge impact to the players. I'd be happier to see that all the hackers got caught, including the ones that try not to. In other words, a lot of cheaters stop playing when they see their hack gets detected and wait for a new one to come out to keep cheating.

As Big_Guy21 said though we're not EvenBalance, the developers of PunkBuster.

We're a third party organisation which utilizes PunkBuster technology and one of the many attractive features of the service we provide is live detection of cheats and banning of cheaters. EvenBalance do actually do delayed bans, that's why every now and again there are lots of new global bans issued.

You put MW2 (VAC) against MW1 (PB with PBBans Streaming) and the difference speaks for itself. I'm not saying delayed bans don't have their benefits but they also have their drawbacks; in our case implementing delayed bans just isn't appropriate.

Why would anyone want to stream their servers here if they had to put up with servers full of cheaters for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks before they got banned?

When I go and play on streaming servers, my clan's servers, etc I want to play with those who aren't using cheats (and detect those that are).

As our tag line is: Always Quality over Quantity.

Suggestions for PunkBuster are best aimed at EvenBalance: http://ssl.evenbalance.com/troubleticket/ nothing said on our forums is going to influence EB.

It might make a big impact but you will also catch more people which in the end will benefit more the game. I doubt many people re buy the game after they get banned; there are many cheaters who never get caught because they take precautions and are always up to date with the newest hack or the hack they think is still undetected.

In a game like BC2 where there aren't many cheaters atm, I don't think it would make a huge impact to the players. I'd be happier to see that all the hackers got caught, including the ones that try not to. In other words, a lot of cheaters stop playing when they see their hack gets detected and wait for a new one to come out to keep cheating.

Not a lot of cheaters in BC2? In just over 5 months there have been 6,501 cheaters that have been caught, that's only a ~1000 less than the 7,578 that have been caught in the 4 years bf2142 has been out. Now we can chuck that up to improved detection techniques but I'd also wager there are more cheaters in the wild these days. It also helped to have that little period of PunkBuster servers showing non PB in the browser.

With that being said the way Even Balance and PBBans are doing it is great, I still remember days of gaming on our streaming PBBans BC2 server when we still had announce bans on and we had a never ended stream of announcements of aimbotters being banned somewhere in the world of streaming servers. There's nothing better.

Not a lot of cheaters in BC2? In just over 5 months there have been 6,501 cheaters that have been caught, that's only a ~1000 less than the 7,578 that have been caught in the 4 years bf2142 has been out. Now we can chuck that up to improved detection techniques but I'd also wager there are more cheaters in the wild these days. It also helped to have that little period of PunkBuster servers showing non PB in the browser.

With that being said the way Even Balance and PBBans are doing it is great, I still remember days of gaming on our streaming PBBans BC2 server when we still had announce bans on and we had a never ended stream of announcements of aimbotters being banned somewhere in the world of streaming servers. There's nothing better.

I said, not a lot of cheaters at the moment, I also hardly encounter one, I think PB is doing an excellent work so far in BC2, I just tho about sharing this idea.

@Everson: I wasn't exactly saying delaying the bans so many days or weeks, but at least ban all the people once a day at the same time (randomizing the times each day, not live bans). Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Edit: I understand you are not EB (now), just want to know what you think.

Edited by blackop2

silent detections.png

I disagree with the "once a day" theory because that just gives cheat coders / users a heads up that their cheat needs re-coding / updating.

The aim is to inflict maximum damage on cheat users (without users, cheat coders are fubarred) and the way EB have employed "silent logging" followed by globalguid bans does exactly that :)

post-690-063430500 1281720273_thumb.png

I disagree with the "once a day" theory because that just gives cheat coders / users a heads up that their cheat needs re-coding / updating.

The aim is to inflict maximum damage on cheat users (without users, cheat coders are fubarred) and the way EB have employed "silent logging" followed by globalguid bans does exactly that :)

Nice, then keep up the awesome job :D . You can close/delete this thread now.