Thoughts on DLC?

xX_Renegade_Xx

I'm curious what other gamers think about the amount of DLC that's being released on PC at the moment, are they milking us for everything they can get or does it add new content that is worth the extra cost?

I don't like DLC, wasn't this called an update at one point?, I don't have to buy it and will avoid doing so if possible but that causes problems when a percentage of the PC community do buy it and others don't, it causes a split in the community between the haves and have nots.

Also, when a dev releases a new weapon pack, suit pack, car pack or whatever, is that worth my money when a modder could release the same packs for free and probably better quality too but is no longer given the chance due to modding restrictions.

Your own views on DLC?

I don't like the paid DLC, but it's the way of things if a person wants to play the blockbuster games. I didn't buy MW2, but I know some who did. The map pack in that was released for it was pathetic with recycled COD4 maps in it. That kind of thing is just lazy and crappy. I do think that COD WaW had the most bang for the buck with all the map packs they released free of charge for PC.

Dice, on the other hand has what I would consider an expansion pack with the Vietnam game for BC2. I don't mind as much paying for something that expands the game and gives it something a little different, even if it's only a skin. As long as it's only about $15 US or so. Many past games had that. Only 4 maps for it sucks pretty bad though.

The big companies don't want the modders touching their games anymore. I believe they don't want the game to last much beyond a year. One game a year, in a series, is ideal for them. I know Treyarch said "mod tools confirmed" in B.O, but I'm willing to bet that they will be watered down, politically correct, disappointing mod tools that the hardcore modders will laugh at, if they actually release them at all.

It's time to give a serious look at some of the developers like Tripwire, who are still releasing PC only games that have the old features that we have come to expect. They don't seem to be as exciting to people as the blockbusters, but that's only because they don't have the slick advertising that EA or Activision has. My clan and I are going to give Heroes of Stalingrad a serious try. Many mods will be available for it. If we like it, it'll be bye bye to the blockbuster games for us. At least until Tripwire becomes as large and impersonal as the other biggies.

My 2 cents worth.

The big companies don't want the modders touching their games anymore. I believe they don't want the game to last much beyond a year. One game a year, in a series, is ideal for them.

It's time to give a serious look at some of the developers like Tripwire, who are still releasing PC only games that have the old features that we have come to expect. They don't seem to be as exciting to people as the blockbusters, but that's only because they don't have the slick advertising that EA or Activision has. My clan and I are going to give Heroes of Stalingrad a serious try. Many mods will be available for it. If we like it, it'll be bye bye to the blockbuster games for us. At least until Tripwire becomes as large and impersonal as the other biggies.

My 2 cents worth.

I disagree, Valve is among the "big companies" and they do DLC right. PC players don't have to pay for it. It's released regularly and for free and their games last much longer than a year and they have custom maps being released all the time for many of their games.

The only grip I have with valve is every time I patch FLOT's L4D 2 server I have to put our custom banners back up.

I guess I really mean that they are the exception to the rule, because they seem to be the only company that knows how to continue to support a game.

I disagree, Valve is among the "big companies" and they do DLC right. PC players don't have to pay for it. It's released regularly and for free and their games last much longer than a year and they have custom maps being released all the time for many of their games.

The only grip I have with valve is every time I patch FLOT's L4D 2 server I have to put our custom banners back up.

I guess I really mean that they are the exception to the rule, because they seem to be the only company that knows how to continue to support a game.

Well, that isn't entirely true actually. The L4D2 Server thing does suck but as long as you keep a copy it is mostly just an inconvenience. I purchased Railworks, a single player game. I love the game, it is quiet, peaceful, and has great scenery. A nice game to play but if you were to download all the content you would have over $1000.00 involved. Yes the figure is correct and yes it is a lifetime of content but still money. Now to offset that there is a fair amount of user created content that is free to install and use. It has a vast community following it. You can create your own. Or, you can wait for a given item to drop in price and snap it up then.

There are several games that Steam does offer DLC for free and that is great; You would not have that if the developer would not allow for it. The Passing comes to mind as well as the next item coming for L4D2. I like the Tripwire idea and know that is going to be a great game in the short term. It just depends on how long the user base sticks with it. If community support is strong the game obviously will also be. Just my 2 cents as it were... :)

Well, that isn't entirely true actually. The L4D2 Server thing does suck but as long as you keep a copy it is mostly just an inconvenience. I purchased Railworks, a single player game. I love the game, it is quiet, peaceful, and has great scenery. A nice game to play but if you were to download all the content you would have over $1000.00 involved. Yes the figure is correct and yes it is a lifetime of content but still money. Now to offset that there is a fair amount of user created content that is free to install and use. It has a vast community following it. You can create your own. Or, you can wait for a given item to drop in price and snap it up then.

There are several games that Steam does offer DLC for free and that is great; You would not have that if the developer would not allow for it. The Passing comes to mind as well as the next item coming for L4D2. I like the Tripwire idea and know that is going to be a great game in the short term. It just depends on how long the user base sticks with it. If community support is strong the game obviously will also be. Just my 2 cents as it were... :)

I think you're getting Valve confused with Steam.

While Steam is Valve's software distribution program, the majority of games sold on steam are not Valve games. For instance, Railworks is not a Valve game, and so that particular game companies decision to milk their users dry through DLC is not consistent with Valves strategy, though I should bite my tongue with their recent announcement in regards to TF2.

If you're a TF2 player you can't count the number of free items, maps and other content they have released for that game since it's release. And they fully support community made content throughout their games for online play. While the DLC in L4D 2 is just The Passing and this upcoming The Sacrifice, they have so many community made maps out there. None of which cost their users the initial payment they put down.

Portal, L4D 1 & 2, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2 and others are Valve created games.

though I should bite my tongue with their recent announcement in regards to TF2.

You would be correct. Steam also makes money from each distro, regardless of game creator. They aren't in it for the fun... ;)

Little surprised with the TF2 update (Mann-conomy), paying real cash for ingame items is not my thing, it is optional so that's one bonus but still very surprised they are taking this route, I just hope it's not the next 'new thing' from Valve :(

Little surprised with the TF2 update (Mann-conomy), paying real cash for ingame items is not my thing, it is optional so that's one bonus but still very surprised they are taking this route, I just hope it's not the next 'new thing' from Valve :(

My fears exactly. I see this as a test phase and if they get huge numbers it will most certainly be the new thing from Valve / Steam.

i haven't played tf2 since i first saw the crafting a while back. that game could never hold my interest for more than a few minutes

i wanted to like it so much

Magnet I get pi**ed off in under 10 minutes playing that game. Don't get me wrong, we have 2 servers but I let a clan member run them as I really don't have the patience for the game. I did try to like it as well; I really did.