Battlefield 4

SuperTaz

• 3 weeks later...

To thank you for your dedication and support, I’d like to announce the Battlefield 4 Player Appreciation Month. Starting on Saturday, February 1, DICE is saying THANK YOU to all players by hosting a month filled with fun community missions and daily giveaways that you get just for jumping into a match.

We appreciate all of the great feedback you continue to provide about all aspects of Battlefield 4. We take this very seriously, and hearing directly from you has helped to make the experience better. The latest information on our game updates can always be found in the BF4 Control Room, including a few new additions that I’m pleased to say are coming soon. First, we are further improving a number of items commonly referred to as “netcode”. This will tighten the overall multiplayer experience, and we will be able to share these items with you in detail soon. In February, we’re also re-introducing the fan favorite feature Platoons in its first iteration. In this added social layer, you can team up with your friends to create your own social space and accumulate stats together. We’re also working on other feature additions that you’ve been asking for – stay tuned for more.

Now, let me walk you through some of the initiatives that we will be launching during Player Appreciation Month. We will have more announcements to make in the upcoming weeks, but below are some of the highlights.

A Battlepack a Day

Every day that you log into the game in February, you’ll receive a Bronze or Silver Battlepack. For those of you who haven’t started opening your earned packs yet, these Battlepacks contain bonuses like XP Boosts and soldier camos. Normally, it would take approximately 30 hours gameplay to earn that many packs. Every day that you log a multiplayer game during the month of February, you will receive a new Battlepack. During weekdays, these will be Bronze, and during Saturdays and Sundays we will give away Silver Battlepacks. Remember to activate your earned XP boosts in the in-game menu to accelerate your progress.

Shortcut Bundles

We are preparing two shortcut bundles for Battlefield 4 that we will make available for download at no cost during the Player Appreciation Month. These voluntary shortcut bundles will unlock all grenades and handguns for Battlefield 4 (the base game) so you can make up for lost time. Or if you’re new to the game, they will help you catch up with players who have been on the Battlefield since launch. We will get back to you with more details once we have set release dates for these items.

For all of our Battlefield 4 Premium users, we’re adding two additional weapon shortcuts, unlocking DMR’s and shotguns. That way, if you like, you can quickly get your hands on a large portion of the weapons available in Battlefield 4.

Double XP Weekend

During the Player Appreciation Month, we’ll be running a double XP weekend for all players. If you’re one of our many Battlefield 4 Premium members, you’ll also get an additional double XP weekend during the Player Appreciation Month as an added bonus.

Community Missions

You will be able to participate in global DICE Community Missions where you will work together to unlock Gold Battlepacks. During the first of these Community-wide challenges, we will ask you to grab a set number of dog tags during a specified time. More details on this first Community Mission in Battlefield 4 to follow.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01/bf4-player-appreciation-month/

• Upvote 1

Upcoming Weapon Tweaks

DMRs

1) Increased the damage of all DMRs across all ranges. Specifically, damage has been increased at long ranges to allow three-hit kills against unarmored opponents. Additionally, reduced the penalty to accuracy for sustained DMR fire, allowing more rapid follow up shots in combat. The amount of the damage increase varies from weapon to weapon, according to its intended range, rate of fire, and damage. We will continue to monitor the effectiveness of DMRs in combat, and determine if additional action is needed to make DMRs a viable mid to long range weapon.

Pump Action Shotguns
1) Increased the accuracy of pump action shotguns (870 MCS, HAWK 12g, SPAS-12, and UTS 15) while on the move and aiming. The accuracy has been approximately doubled. These weapons did not have any available barrels or grips that would allow a player to enhance their aimed accuracy. This change should make the use of pump action weapons with slugs much more viable at medium and close range by allowing more accurate fire.

Carbines
1) Reduced the long range damage of the MTAR to bring it in line with the rest of the Carbines.

General
1) Adjusted the way inaccuracy is handled when transitioning from Hip fire to Aimed fire. Previously, if a player began firing before aiming, he would keep his hip inaccuracy while aimed, until he stopped firing. This was especially obvious with LMGs on the move. Players will now only be subject to the maximum aimed inaccuracy after the transition. While still terribly inaccurate, this allows for substantially more accurate fire than the old method and should allow players with LMGs to panic fire in close quarters, provided they are aiming.

2) The Heavy Barrel’s Accuracy bonus now also applies on the move, at a reduced bonus. This should give the Heavy Barrel a wider role for players who desire accuracy while aimed in all situations.

3) Synchronized the timing of the aim down the sights animation of sniper rifles with their ability to fire with full accuracy. Players no longer need to wait for additional time after the aiming animation plays to get accurate shots. There is still a delay to achieve full accuracy, so Quick Scoping is still not possible.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01/balancing-bf4-weapons/

1) Increased the aimed accuracy of the M1911 to make it a viable choice once the COMPACT 45 has been unlocked. This gives the M1911 a clear accuracy advantage for range, while the COMPACT 45 has a clear ammunition per magazine advantage.

2) Increased the close range damage of the M1911, QSZ-92, FN57, CZ-75 and COMPACT 45. This will allow all pistols to bypass Body Armor at close range. Additionally, the FN57 and the QSZ-92 have had their long range damage increased to allow them to properly bypass Body Armor at all distances. Finally, the CZ-75 has also had its long range damage raised to give it a diverse role among the handguns.

3) Reduced the delay between pressing the trigger and the bullet firing for the M412 REX and .44 MAGNUM. This delay represents the way these weapons work in real life, while also improving their responsiveness in game.

4) Increased the magazine capacity of the QSZ-92 to 20 rounds, the proper amount for this weapon in real life. Additionally reduced the recoil of the QSZ-92 to give it a clear difference from the FN57.

5) Corrected a small error with the COMPACT 45 accuracy when crouched or prone. The weapon was accidently less accurate than intended.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01/balancing-bf4-pistols/

They are nurfing the aa weapons too, in power, accuracy, distance, and reload times. They are also changing the max aa missiles on the aa tanks from 6 to 4. They can't leave well enough alone. They need to forget tweets and get on with fixing the game code.

Seems official servers are locked to the max slots that dice defines for a gametype.

• Official servers where the experience is set, map rotation's default size for the game mode is locked and can't be tweaked by vars.maxPlayers command.
  • Enable packet loss logging in the dedicated server runtime logs
  • "Netcode" fix to reduce network traffic
  • Vars.vehicleSpawnDelay command will be executed at the end of the round or if the round is restarted.
  • Adding validateVars to vars.unlockMode to return a nice "ReadOnlyOnRanked" message if the server is "official / ranked".
  • Improved error handling on reporting statistical data.
  • Fixed an issue where "skill" was calculated for commanders when quitting.
  • Fix for issue of players becoming invisible after being killed on a ladder and revived

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1wjne0/server_update_106318/

"Netcode" can't be fixed as long as they are using a client-side hit-detection model. I long for the days of server-side hit-detection models (i.e. ET:QW).

I blame it on excessive number of stats items being tracked by the server. If you think about it the more stats tracking they add to games the worse they seem to get. The old games never tracked much if anything and they ran much smoother.

I'm wondering what the QA guys were up to during testing of this patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNsr7Edq7e4

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493816594684/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493816845808/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/en/forum/threadview/2955064773357917195/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065224207238087/

In other news R21 server files contain Second Assault maps (XP0_Caspian, XP0_Firestorm, XP0_Metro, XP0_Oman).

According to EA's Origin, the Second Assault DLC will launch on February 18th.

NOOOOO! fix the stupid game first before trying to dazzle us with DLC, the game at present is horrid, the last fix screwed it even more, hmmm maybe less is more.

RPS: SimCity and BF4 both had terrible launches. SimCity didn’t work for more than a month, and BF4 still has issues. Surely you’re overhauling how you approach launches internally from now on?

Hilleman: I’m not sure I accept your premise. Battlefield 4 has been an exceedingly successful product on both consoles and PC. From a sales perspective, from a gameplay perspective.

RPS: Sure, BF4 is fundamentally a good game, but you can’t just write off months of glitches and server issues. Some people straight up could not play for the first couple weeks.

Hilleman: I think there was a lot of noise about the game, but some of that is a function of your surface area. The more customers you have, the more noise becomes available. We did things wrong. We know that. We’re gonna fix those things. We’re gonna try to be smart about what customers want in the future.

But I’m not willing to accept – and I don’t think most of my customers are willing to say – “it’s a bad product, I wish I didn’t buy it.” That’s not the conversation we’re having now. I think what we’re hearing is, “You made a game we really liked. We would’ve liked it a little better if it didn’t have these problems.” Many of those problems we can fix, and we have and will.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/11/ea-defends-bf-4-simcity-launch-efforts-discusses-future/

Battlefield 4™ Naval Strike takes the intense and dramatic water-based combat introduced in Battlefield 4 to four all-new maps set in the South China Sea. Blow open a crashed passenger plane and capture fishing villages across the tropical Lost Islands. Drop a submarine on your foes as you infiltrate a naval base or rush between shipping docks and rocky islands on the massive Wave Breaker map. Wage war across stormy seas in the largest ocean stretch in a Battlefield map yet with Nansha Strike. Storm an abandoned cliff-side resort, or get lost in the breathtaking vistas in Operation Mortar.

Naval Strike also introduces five new weapons, the amphibious hovercraft vehicle, ten assignments and the all-new Carrier Assault mode, which is an homage to the fan-favorite, Titan mode from Battlefield 2142.

KEY FEATURES

4 all-new multiplayer maps set in the South China Sea:

* Lost Islands

* Nansha Strike

* Wave Breaker

* Operation Mortar

5 weapons all-new to Battlefield 4

Introducing the amphibious hovercraft vehicle

2 additional gadgets

3GL (3 grenade launcher) attachment for the Assault class

Anti-Heli Mine; an aircraft disabling projectile for the Engineer class

Carrier Assault game mode which is a re-imagining of the classic Battlefield 2142 Titan Mode

10 new assignments with unlocks for each

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/expansion-packs/naval-strike

The Handgun Shortcut Kit contains the following unlocks: M9, QSZ-92, MP443, SHORTY 12G, G18, FN57, M1911, 93R, CZ-75, .44 MAGNUM, and Compact 45. Does not include any weapons added by expansion packs.

https://www.origin.com/en-ca/store/buy/battlefield-4/pc-download/addon/battlefield-4-handgun-shortcut-kit

$4.99 but free from Feb 18 - Feb 24.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was hopping for something with bigger combat ships like cruisers, destroyers and frigates. One can only hope to see a BF game with proper naval combat on a grande scale with moveable carriers and smaller offensive/defensive ships.