Server forcing clients to set cheat cvars

Ragnar_40k

I know some servers which force the client rate to 35000 or 40000, even if it makes no sense at all since the rate is hard limited in the engine with 25000. This is a feature of ETPro were servers can automatically set a cvar on the client if the server requires it (and do a vid_restart if needed). The client usually doesn't notice this (maybe only in case of a vid_restart, where the map loads twice). And when the clients connect to a server with a better(?) setup then they get kicked for cvar violations. I guess most of you already encountered a player who was kicked for the rate cvar > 25000 or another weird setting (like r_uifullscreen).

My strong guess is now, that some servers exploit this by forcing clients to set well known cheat cvars - and when the client connects to a PB enabled server he gets kicked/banned as cheater. I didn't encounter such a server myself by now, but had some reports that players had cheat cvars set for no reason.

To prevent this you should:

• Write protect your config
  • Play only on trustworthily servers you know
Edited by Ragnar_40k

Your advice to prevent trouble is very good though. Both write protecting your files and playing on trusted servers are good advice. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Edited by MrBoJangles

I dont believe we have ever had anyone kicked for a 40000 rate.

They don't get kicked on your server, but they get kicked for the rate-cvar when they connect on a server which uses DGs cvar limits for instance: http://rtcw.jolt.co.uk/content/enemy_terri...tions.html#rate

I encountered lots of players who tried to connect to a server again and again, only to get kicked 2 minutes later, because their cvar rate was above 25000.

Rate settings and restrictions depend on game and when it was released, i.e. what type of connections were common at the time - default value of ET is: Rate 5000 LoL - and on server side setting sv_maxRate, i doubt a higher rate setting helps anyway...

anyway rate is a usefull tweak (change it in console) to get a smooth connection, nothing to do with cheat.

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/ConnectionF...ameSpecific.htm see quake3 section for old q3engine games like ET/Rtcw ...

Edit: forgot in ETpro things are slighly diff (antilag) search http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name...&file=index and http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/index.php

happy reading :P

Edited by Benway

but it has no sense to set it over 25000 :X

Ragnar is right: the rate is hard limited in the engine with 25000.

We saw this when other servers updated their MODS...so we just changed our cvar to:

pb_sv_cvar rate IN 2500 40000

Knowing that a higher rating wont do anything...then whats the harm in setting it high :D This way people wont get kicked for dumb s#!t B)

Used to get this a lot when visiting <B> servers it sets 40000 then go back to Jolt and get kicked unless I hit F5 to re-exec my config. So if you have a config that contains all of these settings in values that are within a league's settings bind execing it to a key and then even if you get changed elsewhere you can set it back to your standards. I also use this while testing, then if something helps and I want to keep it, it goes into my standard.

We use FORCE CVAR, rate to 40000 :) No hacks or whatsoever, |>B<| has nearly all servers streaming to pbbans.com. Though there is a debate going on wether or not to continue that. (Force CVAR)

|>B<|FalcoN

Edited by FalcoN

Don't believe I was making any suggestion of a hack was just using that only occurance of a force cvar I come across as an example of why I always have everything in my config and it bound to a key so I can exec it when I go back to a server that restricts rate to 25000 like jolt ;-)

Ah :) Well FORCE CVAR to a particular value is weird, if people DO abuse that to set it to somekind of hack one (sol_/sc_/aex_) that would be utterly tittyness.... How about testing if it works and if it does, asking to remove it from ex. PUB?

|>B<|FalcoN

Edited by FalcoN

I thought it was more a topic on how to enable you to go back to your normal config when you have been forced cvars, so write protect or exec a complete config

Right :) So let this be the final word on this matter B)