Evidence of MD5?

maltejahn

Hi,

our server TCE is now also PB enabled(MD5 Tool, etc.)

What I want to ask, what does this mean or is there a list with explainations of this. Are these clear evidence?

VIOLATION (MD5T00L) #9OO2:

**edit**

Ok, guy 3 no question, cheat on server so bb. What is the 4. And the other files, never heard of them.

As i understand, there is a mismatch between MD5 chechsum and the file. But can this happen in any other way than cheating?

The reason i ask this is, there were a few ppl kicked i never thought they would cheat.

Malte

Hi,

our server TCE is now also PB enabled(MD5 Tool, etc.)

What I want to ask, what does this mean or is there a list with explainations of this. Are these clear evidence?

VIOLATION (MD5TOOL) #9OO2:

**edit**

Ok, guy 3 no question, cheat on server so bb. What is the 4. And the other files, never heard of them.

As i understand, there is a mismatch between MD5 chechsum and the file. But can this happen in any other way than cheating?

The reason i ask this is, there were a few ppl kicked i never thought they would cheat.

Malte

The MD5tool does not make things up. If the player's game folder contained one of those known hack files and the MD5tool is set to search for them and finds them then it's apparent that they had a hack file in their game folder and that means the player most likely installed the hack.

Hmm, okay. Thought e.g. ss.log is maybe a log file for whatever. So PB searches for known cheat files. Seems like the TCE community gets smaller.

Thx the guys who trys to keep our server clean.

Malte

It does slightly more than just look at the files with those names, a file based on many criteria has a specific hash value. If a file is amended that hash value changes, so for each known cheat file the hash value is recorded and if the md5 check finds that file and the hash value matches the ban then bye bye.

Those that have claimed oh ss.log was created etc by the game have not to my knowledge had too many successful appeals as the hash value is specific to that name and version of that file.

The guys can correct me if I am incomplete in my explanation or understanding ;-)

The odd time a player can download a legitimate game file that has been poorly named(ie, given a hack-name) The onus then falls to that player to appeal his ban, and to provide the file to pbbans for examination. This in turn will help them improve the system.

I'll give you one example.

I had a player get banned by the config on my servers near the start of my clan's streaming. He then came to my forums and asked about it, and we pointed him in the right direction. Name of the file? **beep, teh censor**.pk3

Where did it come from? The **still its a hack name ;p** clan, and it was a campaign.pk3 file for one of their custom map rotations.

They, as a clan, simply chose a very poor name for their file. The ban was lifted, btw, once the file was found to not be a cheat file.

That would likely be the only instance I can think of where there's some potential for disagreement.

You'd be surprised how many little custom pk3 files end up with a title like zzz.pk3, and similar in this game. Not all are hack-files. Again, if a player is banned, the onus falls on him to prove his innocence.

The MD5 checks also look for parts of cheat-files, if I've learned this correctly. Some cheat-files leave behind "traces" of themselves, even once deleted, and the config checks for those traces as well.

we dont give details about specific cheat related files, we dont even post hack related info in public forums *welcomes user: Google* what this one is;

but FYI all these file detections given in initial post are either part of / or written by / Cheats that work in TCE.

Hi,

thought myself not to post filenames, but in fact - a noob just has to take a look on pbbans list to see this info. If edit posts, maybe stay consistent and also remove the information in the ban list.

Last question, a "îgnoring MD5Tool querries" doesnt mean anything, maybe a lag in connection maybe?

Malte