Punkbuster Noob

(STRS) HEFFTY

My clan recently got sponsered and now has a 32 slot ranked server along with a 12 slot unranked server for matches. We were sponsered by FPS Gaming Communities and the fellow who provided me with these servers is CMDR Hawk. As I am relatively new to administrating servers and I would like to know how to catch hackers. I have seen screenshots of different hackers in here, but I don't know what exactly to look for or how to set my server up to take shots or be updated with the proper punkbusters stuff. I have updated it throug the control panel and that is about as far as I have gone. I would like to know where to start in these forums as to learning about how to spot hackers.

Secondly, I have been having a problem playing BF2pro on some servers. I have gotten kicked via punkbuster for a MD5 tool check for the file vtuneapi.dll. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Heffty

I see by your profile you'd like to stream, Good start. If you've not already done have a read of this thread for instructions how to set that up, Dont worry it's not hard. If you've not got FTP access to the server scroll down to (bf2cc & 2142cc setup), Can also done via rcon if you prefer.

Bf2 for server admins Commands, Settings etc.

The dll you're being kicked is a stock dll, Have you done what was suggested to you here?

Well this certainly isn't noob friendly help I can confirm that being a noob.

step 3 Edit your pbsv.cfg and add this command line pb_sv_load pbbans_hub.cfg

Where can I find the pbsv.cfg and why doesn't the help guide you link me to tell me where it is. I have no clue what that is, all of a sudden the steps just jump to Edit your pbsv.cfg and expects you to know what and where that is. I didn't even have a FTP program on my computer. In doing this I had to contact my server provider to get FTP access and do all kinds of crap. This is taking me forever. If you want a noob to catch a hack you're going to have to get alot more elementary than this.

EDIT: Alright...I got this file off my server provider. I did not know I had to do that! So frustrating. Now in step 5 it tells me to go ot rcon or something but I have no idea what that is either.

So much for this being easy to set up.

Edited by (STRS) HEFFTY

Well this certainly isn't noob friendly help I can confirm that being a noob.

step 3 Edit your pbsv.cfg and add this command line pb_sv_load pbbans_hub.cfg

Where can I find the pbsv.cfg and why doesn't the help guide you link me to tell me where it is. I have no clue what that is, all of a sudden the steps just jump to Edit your pbsv.cfg and expects you to know what and where that is. I didn't even have a FTP program on my computer. In doing this I had to contact my server provider to get FTP access and do all kinds of crap. This is taking me forever. If you want a noob to catch a hack you're going to have to get alot more elementary than this.

EDIT: Alright...I got this file off my server provider. I did not know I had to do that! So frustrating. Now in step 5 it tells me to go ot rcon or something but I have no idea what that is either.

So much for this being easy to set up.

At least take a cursory look at the pb manual provided before jumping in at the deep end.

If you dont know what rcon (remote console) is, or a pbsv.cfg (punkbuster server configuration file) I would say that a brush up on the very basics of administration of a games server is an urgent neccessity here.

http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/bf2-ad/index.htm

p.s. google is your friend