How effective is PB really?

raptorx2

I have been told that PB is the weakest cheat protection available.

I have also been told that the Quake engine, as used in CoD/UO, is the easiest game engine out there to cheat on.

My UO server server streams to both PBBans as well as PunksBusted, how well protected is it really?

I would like to hear any and all opinions on these topics.

Thanks for any input :)

Rap

I have been told that PB is the weakest cheat protection available.

Public cheats are detected in few hours, in some cases few days. Its a bit more difficult with private cheats although PB has some heuristic checks to catch these ( also keep in mind that PB detection can be in so called silent mode ). As soon as pbsvc is fully operational , it will much more difficult to bypass PB. PB is atm the most advanced ac out there.

I have also been told that the Quake engine, as used in CoD/UO, is the easiest game engine out there to cheat on.

Easiest is imo FEAR.

It's not a difficult to make a cheat for game based on Q3 engine which was developed in 1999. Keep in mind that Id software released it's source code under GNU/GPL, thus you almost don't need any debugging/disassembling skills to find out what you need to know to make a cheat.

Punkbuster is at best competent anti cheat software when run on its own.

Its when its given a little help like cvar/MD5 scans that it becomes a lot more effective.

PBBans provides that little extra help to all its streaming game admins (SGA's)

For all its shortcomings, especially recently, PB remains by far and away the best anti cheat software out there, it's just a shame that insufficient testing before update releases has resulted in a lot of bad PR for EvenBalance of late, they need to work a lot faster on solutions before irrepairable damage is done to their hard earned credibility/reputation.

There are new kids on the block just itching to get a foot in the door and if they manage to get that all important foot in, the PB monopoly on viable anti cheat will be broken.

They should be moving heaven and earth to retain their rep and encourage new custom, atm I dont see that happening.

Personally, I would say Valve's Anti-Cheat system is the worst overall, though they are more severe as your Steam account gets permabanned. Personally, I'd love to see EB start issuing hardware bans for more offenses, but overall, I don't see a better solution out there than PunkBuster.

• 3 weeks later...

Any anti-cheat software running all on it's own is going to be only so effective in catching cheats. It is the user tools that PunkBuster offers that makes it the best anti-cheat software out there. For the cheats that it doesn't catch itself, there are the cvar checks and the md5 tool checks that catch a huge number of those remaining cheats. And then there is the PB Screenshot function, which allows you to see what the actual player is being sent on their display. This function alone has made PB revolutionary in catching cheaters as now all the wallhacks, models hacks, and cheat menus are now plainly seen by the server admins. It is the use of these tools provided by PunkBuster that makes PB the anti-cheat tool of choice for gamers. Best software out there hands down, no competition.

I have yet to see one person caught by VAC while gaming, Valves anti-cheat software. I have seen numerous people caught by PB in SOF@ for the first time. While I don't see PB catching those that are obviously cheating in FEAR, there is a PB Screenshot capability which enables admins to actively check for cheaters. The only thing saving VAC games is that cheats are so easily noticable when playing, and the fact that communities are now forming that porduce ban lists for those submitted by demo. Just imagine the increased number of catches that we would see if there was a screenshot capabitlity in that game as well.

While we are on the subject :P

One thing I find a bit senseless, is the refusal of EvenBalance to issue bans directly attributable to PunkBuster™ software as per this list;

#50000s - Aimbot
#60000s - Wallhack
#70000s - Multihack
#80000s - Gamehack
#90000s - 'Cheat' Video Drivers
#100000s - Speedhack
#110000s - Autofire
#120000s - Game Hook
#130000s - Attempted PunkBuster Hack
A global guid ban for any of the above should be a minimum, with possibly a 3 strikes and your hardware banned :)

At least this would show that EB have faith in their own product, rather than passing the buck to server admins and AC sites.

I have lost count of the number of llama's who contact EB over a ban thats been detected by PunkBuster™ software and get told, "It's PBBans that have issued the ban use their appeal procedure", these players actually think they have a leg to stand on when in fact they dont.

The very least these players should be told is that the detection is valid.

In my opinion the punishment should fit the crime, and the standard 2 minute kick is hardly what anyone would call punishment.

While we are on the subject

One thing I find a bit senseless, is the refusal of EvenBalance to issue bans directly attributable to PunkBuster™ software as per this list;

CODE

#50000s - Aimbot

#60000s - Wallhack

#70000s - Multihack

#80000s - Gamehack

#90000s - 'Cheat' Video Drivers

#100000s - Speedhack

#110000s - Autofire

#120000s - Game Hook

#130000s - Attempted PunkBuster Hack

A global guid ban for any of the above should be a minimum, with possibly a 3 strikes and your hardware banned

At least this would show that EB have faith in their own product, rather than passing the buck to server admins and AC sites.

I have lost count of the number of llama's who contact EB over a ban thats been detected by PunkBuster™ software and get told, "It's PBBans that have issued the ban use their appeal procedure", these players actually think they have a leg to stand on when in fact they dont.

The very least these players should be told is that the detection is valid.

In my opinion the punishment should fit the crime, and the standard 2 minute kick is hardly what anyone would call punishment.

AMEN