suggestion regarding mci

TALON1973

i notice whenever there an mci update it gets posted :- but could a little more info be given during the post , which would be helpful for alot of us :) on a more mod specific nature

what i mean is :- MDL update 23-08.07 change to etpro

or if its multiple mods just state mutiple

i know pbbans would like us all to run all the checks ( and i'd do it if we had a dedicated machine ) , but for us small time gamers we just do the checks specific to our mod :(

if this would be poibble that people can check at a glance if these updates affect them in any way :)

i notice whenever there an mci update it gets posted :- but could a little more info be given during the post , which would be helpful for alot of us :) on a more mod specific nature

or if its multiple mods just state mutiple

i know pbbans would like us all to run all the checks ( and i'd do it if we had a dedicated machine ) , but for us small time gamers we just do the checks specific to our mod :(

if this would be poibble that people can check at a glance if these updates affect them in any way :)

It takes no more server resources to check for the other checks and why would you not want to check for all the known traces of hacks on a player's computer? The more checks the better. Just because there is a switch in the pbsvuser.cfg which tells the md5tool to look in a different mod folder than what your server runs is no excuse to remove those valuable checks.

I run all the checks. Some of them are redundant, to a point.

Less is more, some say, but yet, I see my noquarter server ban ppl for running a hack that is only detected under one of the other mods, much the same as I see someone banned for the same on my etpro servers.

Reduntant, for some, but if the checks scan one folder first, and catch it, they get banned for it, even if it does not apply to the mod you're running.

I'll concur with the above post, that I keep all scans running.

The only down-side of this is that it may take a bit longer for a scan to run, particular to your mod/version of ET.

Perhaps one more reason why all ET admin need to switch to 2.60b and latest versions of the game?

You'd not only reduce the number of hacks needing to be checked for, as there's less hacking in 2.60b, but you'd allow PB and PBBANS and other anti-cheat sites to search more specifically for cheats, based on one version of the game.

Old arguement, I know, but I stick to it, as well.

2.60b offers a lot of security compared to older versions of the game, and there's a benefit both client and server side of that issue that would only help the game and those that love to play it, in general.

FYI, I sell this here, as well as on my gameserver's host site, and other et-sites that I visit.

2.60b all the way, and if everyone were to update, the complaints of dead servers would not be an issue, so don't tell me how 2.60b servers are dead. Mine are not, and I know others here and elsewhere that have successful 2.60b servers as well.

You'll bust more hacks in 2.60a or 2.55 than I will in 2.60b, but I don't feel bad about that, somehow. ;)

Read the whole bloddy thread again ;p this usually only happens on revisions; and note the Meta-information included in MCi lists themselves ;)

e.g.: incase a /mod/onlybunnymod.pk3 was a new entry, it was added on top above ^^== and stay there untill the next update (at least, rather longer)

i know pbbans would like us all to run all the checks

i for sure do not :lol:

... i expect admins to be as smart as possible V45 V586 :D

teh more teh merrier (paranoid insanity imho) takes not much server resources but a few k memory,

it just makes cheat detections based on the actually useful checks a lottery win ... issued once all 4-10 hours ;p

assume i don't have to stress "quantity" is a point to be considered -- always, in ET just more than elswhere LoL --, just choose: miss 20 naxos-cheats and 5 etbuters while server is busy issuing 200 scans (pb_sv_md5toolfreq 30 = 2 scans/minute) for outdated "thishackalwayscrashesthegame.exe" "theadminwhoaddedthischeckwasjustguessing.ini" and in return in the same time period catch 0.002 files left over from a 3 years old pb detected hack? leave alone.

suggested step #1 : get rid of all legacy checks pb_sv_md5tool a "" v "name.ext" NOT_FOUND ... a valuable check looks different :rolleyes: