Confused

nhc

Hi,

This is my first time dealing with the issue of protecting my gameserver from cheaters. I am a bit confused.

I have successfully set up my gameserver running WET to PBBans hub.

I understand that this will disallow banned players on master ban list to join my server.

However, what if a cheater who was not banned before decided to play on my server? How or what do I need to set up to protect against this kinda of cases? I came across some post talking about MD5Tools, do I need them?

Regards,

<n00b>nhc

www.noobsplay.com

You don't need anything else. If the Punkbuster catches the cheater he will be inmediately added to de hub.

The md5 tools adds additional protection but you don't need them

You don't need anything else. If the Punkbuster catches the cheater he will be inmediately added to de hub.

The md5 tools adds additional protection but you don't need them

If I just need to stick to Punkbuster, do I need to upload any cfg files as my PB is a new installation?

How does PB catch cheaters? Does it always update itself?

Thanks for helping the noob!

<n00b> nhc

If I just need to stick to Punkbuster, do I need to upload any cfg files as my PB is a new installation?

How does PB catch cheaters? Does it always update itself?

Thanks for helping the noob!

<n00b> nhc

The only new configs you really need is adding the settings for PBBans streaming. Other than that, you can optionally add the MD5 checks and also change other settings to suit your needs.

PB (as in PunkBuster) mainly catches cheaters by violations (game hacks, aimbots, etc.), a list maintained by them. PBBans (this site) catches cheaters by MD5 checks/kicks, violations, and screenshots submitted by streaming game admins.

Hi,

My server is already streaming.

Below is what I understand so far, correct me if I am wrong.

Levels of protection.

0. PB not turned on in gameserver.

1. PB turned on in gameserver.

1a. Gameserver streaming to PBBans.

2. Using MD5 Tools/Cvar checks.

So I believe I am at level 1a now? I only stream to PBBans with no additional cfg/setup.

Regards,

nhc

Hi,

Levels of protection.

So I believe I am at level 1a now? I only stream to PBBans with no additional cfg/setup.

Regards,

nhc

That'd be correct. If you want to setup MD5 tools/cvar checks, here's one way to do it:
  • Go here: http://www.pbbans.com/mci.php
  • Select "Overview" next to the game you want
  • Select "View MD5s"
  • Copy all of the MD5's (everything below the // ****{ PBBans xGAMEx Cheat MD5 List }****) and paste them into a new file. Save the file as something like pbbans.md5
  • Upload the file to your server's /pb/ directory.
  • Open up pbsv.cfg and add the following:

pb_sv_md5toolfreq 60 //[Md5 Check Fequency, in seconds]
     pb_sv_md5toolempty // Empties any previously set Md5 checks
     pb_sv_load pbbans.md5 // Load the file containing the checks

Set the pb_sv_md5toolfreq to whatever number you'd like, the PBBans config uses 30, but I use 60 as our server sees a lot of traffic. The pb_sv_md5toolempty will empty any previously set Md5 checks so you don't keep re-adding them. pb_sv_load pbbans.md5 will load the file called pbbans.md5.

• Save/upload pbsv.cfg to your server
  • Restart PunkBuster by issuing a pb_sv_restart command, or just simply restart your whole server.
You would do the same thing above for CVARs as well.

Hi,

Levels of protection.

Regards,

nhc

You are indeed at level 1a, PBBans uses a different streaming initiative that is easy to set up, more effective than other methods of streaming and is packed with extra features to help you make your server(s) as clean as possible.

Its up to you to take advantage of the features Hub streaming offers. :)

Firstly:

via your team account;

view servers/edit flags

check the enforce bans box

This will serve you well in 3 phases.

1. By checking this option, the Hub will check every player that connects to your server against the PBBans MBI, and if the player appears on the MBI will kick him off the server before he can join a team.

2. By checking this option, it reduces the load on your servers resources because the Hub checks every connecting player and not the server.

3. By checking this option it means that you dont have to download the current PBBans banlist and upload to your servers PB directory, because the Hub will keep anyone on the MBI off your server.

PB is the best anti cheat software out there but it needs that little extra help via cvar/md5 scans to make it truly leet.

We have simplified the process of putting cvar/md5 scans on to your game server.

Find your game from the list presented here;

http://www.pbbans.com/mci.php

Select - overview

You are presented with 3 options, you can download cvars or md5's or both.

I would recomend both, when you select download it will be downloaded as a pbsvuser.cfg and all you have to do then is upload it to your server(s) root PB directory ( the same one your pbsv.cfg is in)

After you upload the pbsvuser.cfg simply restart PB with the rcon command pb_sv_restart or restart your server(s).

The pbsvuser.cfg is auto executed by PB on start up so you do not need to do anything else.

All you have to do after that is keep an eye on your game specific forum section and when you see a Benway post saying the MCI has been updated, you go through the same simple process again.

Hopefully, in the near future we will be able to introduce a new feature wereby one click of the mouse via your team account will auto update your cvar/md5 scans and make the process even simpler :)

Welcome to the world of modern anti cheat.

Hi,

You all have definitely clear up my confusion! Kudos to you guys for this great effort!

Last question here, can you elaborate on the other flags?

• Allow PAT_reloads
  • Allow HUB Greetings
  • Accept Hub Bans
Regards,

nhc