heartbeats stopped after latest update?

s3v3rus

Once again an update has screwed up my game. Everything was working fine until I was forced to update PB, now I get something that kicks me from the server and says punkbusterB and heartbeats or something has stopped working. What can I do? Who can I yell at?

Had that happen to most of the players on our server after the recent pb update. Problem solved with either a manual pb update or rebooting pc.

As a side note, anyone else getting server stutters every 30 seconds or so since the update??

I did manually update. Actually I uninstall, reinstalled, allowed permission in my firewall, rebooted and still kicks me. Sometimes i get the impression that the usual PC laziness has set in with these nerds, i.e., they'll release any piece of (*&^ in the hopes that the community will debug it for them and patch it later. I see dozens of people kicked off servers for the same thing.

I did manually update. Actually I uninstall, reinstalled, allowed permission in my firewall, rebooted and still kicks me. Sometimes i get the impression that the usual PC laziness has set in with these nerds, i.e., they'll release any piece of (*&^ in the hopes that the community will debug it for them and patch it later. I see dozens of people kicked off servers for the same thing.

Usually it's laziness on the player's part. PB runs as a service on your computer. Check your firewall settings, as you have done already.

Secondly, the manual update.

Thirdly, if the above two do not work. Rename your pb folder to pb_old, download the latest version of pbsetup.exe from evenbalance.com and slide it into a new folder you created named pb, run it, and let it re-create the files from scratch.

The cures are all temporary, COD4 multiplayer works, but every couple hours or so, punkbuster B heartbeats stop and I get kicked. Immediate attempts to re-enter of course fail because of pbB initialization failure. i've shut down the vista firewall and allowed permission in the McAfee firewall. When i get kicked, the services admin tool says it's stopped but that it's slated for deletion, so I can't restart it directly.

When i reboot, the services menu doesn't show pbB. But when i get on a server, the initial screen takes a long time and sometimes stop entirely, i assume punkbuster is doing something. Then when i try to enter a server a second time, it connects. This is when it works, sometimes rebooting doesn't make it work.

So the only real cure seems to be rebooting when the heartbeats stop (what is this heartbeat anyway?).

I've put in a ticket with evenbalance, but i don't think they get back to work until monday. Thanks for your help anyways. We'll just have to disagree about the blame and cause for a program that is supposed to automatically update but has to be manually updated by every other user and only causes more problems with each update.

Every so often, there is a new version release of the pbupdate.exe file, and it's always good to have the latest one.

PnkBstrB.exe is started by PnkBstrA.exe, and will only show in your list of services once attempting to enter a pb-enabled server. That's why it isn't showing upon reboot.

Try opening your game's console and watch for any error-messages related to PnkBstrB.exe failing to start.

• 1 month later...