Server Banned?

381st_SilverGhost

If you are talking about this server 71.236.242.158, it's because the IP appears on the MPI.

1. Terms & Definitions

1.1 Game Server - A game server shall be defined as a network server running a program that acts as a hub for clients to connect to for the purpose of interaction. For the purposes of clarification, PBBans will only allow streaming from dedicated servers and not from LAN or personal computers.

"If you are talking about this server 71.236.242.158, it's because the IP appears on the MPI"

MPI? Whats that?

This server has been streaming to PBBans for close to 2 years, why then but not now?

If you are talking about this server 71.236.242.158, it's because the IP appears on the MPI.

MPi = Master Player Index

The server may have been missed however, once discovered the server will be removed.

My server was also banned after a couple years of streaming without warning or notification. Cheaters have been caught and banned on my server. So what if the server appears on the MPI list? Why wouldn't a good standing streaming game admin not be notified that his server was suddenly banned from streaming to PBBans?

1. Terms & Definitions

1.1 Game Server - A game server shall be defined as a network server running a program that acts as a hub for clients to connect to for the purpose of interaction. For the purposes of clarification, PBBans will only allow streaming from dedicated servers and not from LAN or personal computers.

This doesn't make sense. How is a "dedicated server defined?" A dedicated server cannot be "from LAN or personal computer?" Then where is it supposed to be? Is this rule trying to state that the server must have it's own IP address? If this is true, how can it be a "network server?" :blink:

I know i have a lot of questions in this post. Please clarify this rule because because I would like my server to be streaming to PBBans again.

By the way, the server also streams to GGC, PunksBusted, and BustedPunks and has not been banned by them.

Edited by Megatron

Main reason people have been getting away with it was because our admin panel never checked the MPi when adding a server. Now new and current servers are checked on a regular basis.

Bottom line, there is no reason a server should be "playing the games" it hosts. That's indicated when it shows on the MPi.

Also in your case megatron, MPi shows a lot of LAN IP's from your server at 65.102.173.211:16567:

By the way, the server also streams to GGC, PunksBusted, and BustedPunks and has not been banned by them.

Guess they allow Home / LAN servers or they don't know about it. We do the checks for security reasons.

OK. If you say so. :(

Just to clarify. I have a dual WAN network set up with more than 10 computers. one of those "computers" is set up as a "server" that hosts the Battlefield 2 dedicated server program. Several of the other computers inside the network are used to play the game. Normally, the computers used to play the game connect to the world using WAN1 that happens to be a semi static Comcast IP. The BF2 server is supposed to use WAN2 that happens to be my domain address of dnfw.net on a static IP of 65.102.173.211. If the router decides to balance the network load it will sometimes let computers inside my network to connect to the world using WAN2. Inversly, players outside can connect to my dedicated BF2 server on either IP address. It is a 12 person non ranked coop server (full of bots). It doesn't get a lot of traffic but it has caught and banned cheaters in the past. Sometimes we play on it if the ranked server is slow. The "server" in question is mainly used to test changes before applying those changes to my leased, ranked BF2 server.

So, if I put the computer set up as a server, running the dedicated Battlefield 2 server program on a static IP of 65.102.173.210, and nobody ever plays the game from that address all will be OK? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

So even though my server is a dedicated server and meets the guide line in the rule you quote, it is getting banned simply because of the network it is in?

My network, the network that the server in question is part of is on my business network. It is my server for 2 Bit Computers and is in an office. It hosts my clans game server, our in game communications, and acts as a file and print server and an applications server for the business I own. I really don't see ow that is outside the scope of your definition for what you are classifying as a server.

So I responded to your PM. Has there been a determination on this yet? The little JPG you have up there above your rules and regs quote. One of those names is me of course, one is my son, and the 3rd is my daughter. If it is of any interest, I do actually have 4 more systems on top of what you have listed here that are part of this network only they are sub-netted to another side of the office. The server in question is the file/print/application server for the entire network and is also the machine that I use to host an AA Server as well as Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R., and a MOTO GP Server as well.

What can I say, I'm disabled and I have a lot of time on my hands, LOL.

Ken "SilverGhost"

Server Admin and Clan Leader

381st SPS AA Gaming Clan

Edited by 381st_SilverGhost

Bottom line, there is no reason a server should be "playing the games" it hosts. That's indicated when it shows on the MPi.

I think you are wrong, sir. ;)

We have given examples of how this can happen.

You have not given a reason as to why this is a rule. You have only stated that it is a rule.

In fact, this was not a rule when I first joined PBBans and started streaming with my server that is now banned.

Also, the tone of your post suggests some kind of serious violation that we were "getting away with" but are now, deservedly BANNED! Are you also suggesting that a server that appears on the MPi is involved with some kind of cheating?

Your rules are the rules and we will follow them. This business is just a little disturbing for an admin like me that hates cheating.

If a submitted/existing server IP appears on the MPi or is the same IP as the person applying, a denial is the only outcome.

The reason this is more prevalent nowadays is because the process is now automated, not a lot more to say really, except a little advice for you megatron.

Please do not make assumptions from what you are reading in this topic.

No one has mentioned or implied cheating or deserving of a ban, and never will.

Rules are rules and I do understand, I think, the PBBans admins position. We can live with it, I just did not understand the who, where, why, what of the situation. There are still plenty of options for server streaming and cheat stopping and such. Our clan always has and will continue to support this organization.

Admittedly as the admin for our server, I think that this particular rule is...odd. I think that the organization might want to take some time and review it. Be that as it may, I suppose it is time to let it lie and move on from here.

Respect

Ghost

Edited by 381st_SilverGhost

I think that the organization might want to take some time and review it.

We have had this position in place for several years....and prior to and afterward....the rule has been seriously evaluated.