gun visibility on hi res in COD4

Forces(UK)

Hi.

I've just been reading a somewhat heated (and in the end amusing) thread in which people argue about a number of things.

The thread is now locked, but one single question remains in my mind after reading it:

Your staff (AcE) helpfully comments: "You can't see the gun because he's playing at a high resolution."

This person (madkarma) replies: "wtf dose (sic) that mean i run at a high resolution and i see my gun in a pb screen shot"

I got to the end of the thread, and I was still left wondering why some players see the gun when playing at hi res, while others do not. Are there are other settings which also affect whether your own gun is displayed, or was that madkarma guy wrong (or lying) when he stated that he COULD see his own gun with the video options on hi-res?

From his tone, spelling, and overall style, I am inclined to conclude that madkarma is simply a bit of an idiot, but it would be nice to have a technical explanation for the gun disparity thing.

Thanks in advance.

I to would like a explaination of the reason why gun is not showing. High resolution as the excuse doesnt make any sense. I run in high resolution and whenever a screen shot is taken, it not only shows the person the player is seeing, but its also shows part of my gun.

The only thing Ive seen PBBANS keep saying is, it's a " clean screen shot". But without any explanation.

It seems to me, that instead of slamming peopleand calling them names, PBBANS would want to be more helpful and offer explanations or reasons. Definetly not proffessional.

I also notice that PBBANS deleted the link to the site that explains the multi=hack....why?

I've noticed from my own experience, that when you screen shot a player, the screen shot shows exactly what the player is seeing, and after seeing that screen shot....i to wonder, why isnt there any parts of the screen shot of the player showing, ie: the end of his gun.

As far as one of your people saying a third person view would not help them in COD, well, i have to disagree. It gives them the chance to look around tight corners on the outside and theres a lot of tight corners on the outside.

So maybe without the high and mighty attitude thats been dispalyed, someone at PB can give a better reason or guidance.

I to would like a explaination of the reason why gun is not showing. High resolution as the excuse doesnt make any sense. I run in high resolution and whenever a screen shot is taken, it not only shows the person the player is seeing, but its also shows part of my gun.

The only thing Ive seen PBBANS keep saying is, it's a " clean screen shot". But without any explanation.

It seems to me, that instead of slamming peopleand calling them names, PBBANS would want to be more helpful and offer explanations or reasons. Definetly not proffessional.

I also notice that PBBANS deleted the link to the site that explains the multi=hack....why?

I've noticed from my own experience, that when you screen shot a player, the screen shot shows exactly what the player is seeing, and after seeing that screen shot....i to wonder, why isnt there any parts of the screen shot of the player showing, ie: the end of his gun.

As far as one of your people saying a third person view would not help them in COD, well, i have to disagree. It gives them the chance to look around tight corners on the outside and theres a lot of tight corners on the outside.

So maybe without the high and mighty attitude thats been dispalyed, someone at PB can give a better reason or guidance.

A couple of things, one PBBANS is an anti-cheat site, they are not going to post links to show people how to cheat. Being someone who looks at close to 2000 pb screens everyday, that one would not even get a second look. He probably was running, and the gun is down out of sight. I see all kinds of wierd shots that are not cheats.

ok, so the comment made by ACE regarding the high resolution as being the reason you cant see the gun, is wrong then? If its not wrong, please explain.

Also, i have to ask if PBBANS supports their staff calling people names. I've noticed in quite a few posting, the staff at PBBans like to call people names or talks down to people.

Just to let you know, after doing some research, there is a hack/glitch thats allows third person viewing and can be seen on youtube. When freezing the video, the image does look the same as what was posted. I also found a multi-hack, which was rebuked in the thread that started this free for all, that does state that PB can not detect. You can zoom in for shots or out for looking around corners and seems that you can switch back to first person view. Maybe its not a hack but a glitch. Again, if you want to check out some of these videos, they are on youtube.

No I'm not saying Ace is wrong, just giving my take on that shot.

As far as people being called names, the admins here put up with all kinds of bs, and I see them show more patience with people than I probably would.

As for the hack claiming its not detected by pb, you think they would have many customers if they said any different. There are over 30,000 bans for cod4 alone, I'm sure most of those people thought they were getting the same thing.

The fact is that there are thousands of servers streaming here, and some clown who does'nt stream, and has a server with and average of 4.7 players a day does not even know what he doesnt know. :blink:

high resolution makes the available area for the pbss smaller. pbss is a set amount of pixels.

people using lower resolutions have more stuff showing, people using higher resolutions have less showing

Thanks for the reply. You still might want to look at youtube on the third person views. Also Ive actually gone to that website and see that a couple of your people have gone in thier and instead of offering guidance or help, they've named called and talked down to them.

I'm sorry to be drawing this out, the reason being is, I'm starting a server and am looking around at all the master ban list/groups out there and want one that will give guidence and help to the server instead of down playing them. Thanks for you comments and replying quickly.

there are literally thousands of members here

what they do or don't do elsewhere is really their business

personally, i avoid posting anywhere that i don't plan on being involved long term

ok if a pbss is a set number of pixels and some one is running a high resolution would it not show a blur of the gun not the image that is behind the gun because a pic cant make up information.

I just thought that being contracted to Evenbalance.com, things would want to be kept more on a proffessional level vs a personal level.

Also here is a posting about resolution from PCGuide.com

The number of pixels that can be displayed on the screen is referred to as the resolution of the image; this is normally displayed as a pair of numbers, such as 640x480. The first is the number of pixels that can be displayed horizontally on the screen, and the second how many can be displayed vertically. The higher the resolution, the more pixels that can be displayed and therefore the more that can be shown on the monitor at once, however, pixels are smaller at high resolution and detail can be hard to make out on smaller screens.

I do and imagine most do use larger screens capable of higher resolution.

thanks again for your input and i will now leave this subject alone.

If you have a specific complaint about any comments made by any members or staff, please send me a private message to discuss it.

Also, we are not affiliated in any way with Punkbuster or Evenbalance. This is a Private support site run 100% by volunteers.

Unfortunately when it comes to dealing with PBSS, there are so many factors that can affect things - including server settings, client side settings and PB settings - that a lot of people will get a different result every time. Because PC gaming inherently has so many combinations of hardware and software - you will never get the same result twice. This results in shots that may look "dodgy" in some way. I can assure you though - playing at high resolution will result in a smaller area being shown in a PBSS - as unfortunately the PBSS system does not scale to the clients resolution. It simply takes a set number of pixels from what the client can currently see.

for example, if I play at 1280x1024 and the server calls for a 320x240 resolution shot, they will get a lot less of my screen than they would if I played at 800x600. Its all relative to the resolution the player is using - which can result in things like the gun missing, odd artefacts etc.

no, the gun is literally below what you see

as resolution increases, the pbss captures a smaller area

that is why some people use sample rate 2 as it records every other pixel. giving a larger area seen at the expense of clarity. the sample rate 2 pbss will be blurry or fuzzy to some extent

but the pic we got is a full screen shot

If by that you mean this picture: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/index.php?act...st&id=18681 (posted by the banned dude) then...

Do you really think he's playing the game at 320x240? Honestly? I don't even think the Q3 engine supports such a low res.

If you, however, are not talking about that picture, then how are we to know without actually having seen the picture?

Any number of factors could have cause that shot. The first one of course is player resolution. The player may also have switched weapons as the shot was taken, leaving no weapon visible for the shot to see.

Either way I do believe that shot is clean and does not show a hack in use in any way.

and yet ur average is 12.7 a month

Thats a per day average in a 30 day period, you might want to read those things a little closer. My real point was that there are thousands of admins who stream here who have looked at hundreds of thousands of screens, and are running configs that look for cheats you probably dont even know about. My guess is that we are all more informed on things than you could possibly be.

Thanks for the reply. You still might want to look at youtube on the third person views. Also Ive actually gone to that website and see that a couple of your people have gone in thier and instead of offering guidance or help, they've named called and talked down to them.

As far a people going to websites, and posting things like that, when you have thousands of members, some are going to do things without thinking them through.

As far a people going to websites, and posting things like that, when you have thousands of members, some are going to do things without thinking them through.

It does appear that as of recently, a few of our members are taking matters into their own hands on a few sites. There is nothing the staff here can do - we can't tell thousands of people what they can and can't do on the internet.

OK cause I don't have cod4 cod5 will have to suffice, the basic game is the same anyway and the PB screenshot system certainly is.

Both shots are taken on same settings as image questioned.

First shot is:

800x600 res

800_by_600.png

2nd shot is

1680x 1050

1680_by_1050.png

Spot the difference?

I hope that explains why resolution is a very important factor to consider. :)

pbss.th.jpg

That shows how the pbss system works. If you take a default PBSS (320x240 sample rate 1) you would see what is inside the blue border.

The higher the players resolution is, the less the PBSS will have. It will not look blured because the player is using a higher resolution hence more pixels.

No doubt some may be hack related but more are not. So with that we will not ban it.

It does appear that as of recently, a few of our members are taking matters into their own hands on a few sites. There is nothing the staff here can do - we can't tell thousands of people what they can and can't do on the internet.

I do apologize if any members of my site come up here and start stuff. It seems that like you guys I can't control my people either. I actually don't mind your site and have learned a couple of things from the information center area in the past.

Couple of things.

1. Madkarma, that pic was not full screen just like they said.

2. As I said in my email to Ace(after he posted on our forum), Saben wasn't just banned for that screenshot.

3. Saben, at no time did I ever say I would be sending anything to PB. Your another one that needs to get your facts straight.

Sorry for sidetracking the topic a little bit but the other thread that was started(which I just found out about today) was locked.

I do have a question about the hires screenshots though. Would it be better to have 600x410 at SS rate 3 as the standard instead of 320x240 1, or do you think the image quality would be too poor with rate that high?

OK, my original question has been thoroughly and rigorously addressed. madkarma by now almost certainly will have realised that he placed a (local) ban without having proper evidence or wrongdoing. Unless anyone has anything else to add, I guess the lock fairy can flutter along any time she feels like it...

:)

OK this might make a difference to a thread that closed. When i had that shot taken of me i was holding a flash/stun which i will normally do because i dont have to worry about it blowing up in my face. If i know i am not going to run for a bit i will hold it till i need it then its ready to go quickier for me. That was right next to bombsite A where i needed to defuse still. So pretty much i am saying it dont matter if there is a gun image is there because of hi res because theres other items like nades/stuns/flashs that would do the same thing.