EA Boss: No Single Player Only Games Allowed

SuperTaz

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-boss-proudly-refuses-to-publish-single-player-games-234402.phtml

Electronic Arts' games label boss Frank Gibeau has revealed that he's not let any solely single-player games pass through his gates, ensuring that absolutely every single title the company publishes has an online component.

"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers," stated the executive. "I have not green lit one game to be developed as a singleplayer experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.

Electronic Arts' games label boss Frank Gibeau has revealed that he's not let any solely single-player games pass through his gates, ensuring that absolutely every single title the company publishes has an online component.

"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers," stated the executive. "I have not green lit one game to be develpoed as a singleplayer experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.

What a tool.

Guessing the stock price is still in the tank?

lol, I never really bothered with the multiplayer element of Mass Effect 3 (for example). It's just trying to make the product more appealing to different types of gamers. Truth be told, an RPG (or action RPG) doesn't need a multiplayer addon, just like BF3 didn't really need a single player story. No wonder they have to release DLC's.. to get back the money they've wasted on unnecessary things.

I really wish he would turn that around and not let a single battlefield game pass his desk that has a single player component. I'd prefer DICE focus their efforts on mutliplayer, because that's why I play their games, and ultimately buy their products. I was put off by the single player component in both BC2 and BF3.

I was put off by the single player component in both BC2 and BF3.

I liked the BC2 singleplayer but the BF3 one was horrible. Wish they never made singleplayer and did a multiplayer only game with a ton of maps instead. Just thinking about how much map design is required to make a single player game would equal a ton of MP maps.

I liked the BC2 singleplayer but the BF3 one was horrible. Wish they never made singleplayer and did a multiplayer only game with a ton of maps instead. Just thinking about how much map design is required to make a single player game would equal a ton of MP maps.

I agree the single player in BC2 was acceptable but it was terrible in BF3 despite the beautiful graphics.

Its a shame they didn't try to improve co-op mode in BF3. That had serious potential, but it remains unfulfilled.

There was talk early doors that they would add more missions and expand on it with DLC but it never happened.

I agree the single player in BC2 was acceptable but it was terrible in BF3 despite the beautiful graphics.

Its a shame they didn't try to improve co-op mode in BF3. That had serious potential, but it remains unfulfilled.

There was talk early doors that they would add more missions and expand on it with DLC but it never happened.

Yea but that's exactly the kind of stuff I wouldn't want them to do. They literally just broke the Battlelog matches system with their latest patch. Now I could give them some leway here, I'm not sure if DICE puts out the updates to battlelog or hired gun intimidatory but jeeze. DICE WTF moment, pretty sure they have a decree that says in every patch that goes out, something has to be broken. They need to spend more time on the multiplayer aspects, because they clearly aren't.

Its a hard world, defects in patches is caused by the developers is under such a tight time frame in projects set by PM's and other managment. The downside to stick to detailed schedules in projects will be that possible defects are present on release. On the otherhand if any planned release is not on time it will be even more devestating to the bussiness.

I also see this with the software I work with, suddenly a patch kill a function that worked just fine befor. The gaming industry has a really demanding customer base with a very high knowledge of computers, software and development as many are working within technology and IT.

I did find the singel player part of BF3 ok but there was some annoying buggs and it did give a feeling to be a hasty work. I'll prefer that DICE do focus on the MP part in the future.

Edited by GOS_LEgiONary